Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
2Shays20
Established Member

M.O.C. #13927
Multiple questions on a rainy weekend camp out

Had a scheduled getaway this weekend and had some issues that that I thought I would ask the MOC.

1. Drove in quite a downpour getting to our destination and found quite a lot of water above the lower covering of our rig where the front grey and black tanks are located. Dropped a few bolts and several gallons of clear water came out. How did it get in and how do I prevent this from happening?

2. No problems parking in the rain, but the next day noticed that the wheels on the driver's side were off the ground 1/4" from the rear leveling strut. Is this hard on the rig?

3. Woke up at 3AM to a noisy LP regulator that sounded like an alarm when the furnace came on. Jumped out of bed with a lot of excitement and went outside to locate the noise. Switched to the other tank and the sound went away. Replace the regulator?

Thanks for your input.

2Shays20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I am afraid to look at our roof for staples.. Will have Helen go up and take a look.
Rich, I think you posted in the wrong thread.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I have experienced water collecting on the black "undercover" below the tanks especially at the rear. It happened after driving in heavy rain. The dealer looked at it twice once at the back and then around the black tank. They took the undercover off and filled the black tank several times to check for leaks. I took some of the undercover off before taking it to dealer and could not see any moisture on the real "floor" and upper frame of the camper. There was water in the middle or sagging area of the undercover. It was quite dirty under there so it was easy to see if water was coming from above. I think it gets under there while driving in rain. I drilled several holes in the black undercover so it will drain quickly. The water under the black tank happened while parked and after a heavy sideways wind and rain. Apparently, the sideways rain hits the drop down frame at the side and runs toward the middle of the undercover where it sags. If anyone has a better and more accurate cause, I will appreciate it!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The corrugated plastic material screwed to the bottom of the frame is by no means water tight ... especially in the summer heat you can see sags from screw to screw. I dropped several feet at a time along the frame and applied a generous bead of black silicone sealant between the frame and black plastic. I then took a 2X4 and squeezed it up against the black plastic and let it set, dropped it down and reinstalled the screws. It was a bit of work, but it made a difference especially in the winter to help seal out drafts comming from the belly pan.
Assuming you have the Level Up system installed, several on the MOC have set on an unlevel site with one or more tires off the ground without issue. If you only have rear electric BAL jacks ... you pulled off an amazing feat of strength during the downpour. Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
I agree with Bobby. I try not to pull in the rain too often, but had rain from Dallas to Houston the first of the month and accumulated a little water in the belly. I have two pick holes that I leave in the material for just this event. I sometimes have to apply a little pressure to get everything out, but once it is dry, it tightens back up.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Two years ago we wintered at a site were the door side wheels were two to three inches off the ground from November until April with no problems.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
2Shays20
Established Member

M.O.C. #13927
Thanks for the input, first time hauling in a good rainstorm. Kept speed lower and had quite a few big rigs pass with lots of spray behind. Water was clear without any odor so I was sure it was rain water from the road, not the tanks. Campsite was really soggy and had ruts where I had backed in. Level up system is great in the rain! Set it and go inside until the storm passes. I was still soaked through a wind breaker. My biggest concern was the noisy regulator. Thought for sure it was the CO detector at 3AM until I slipped down the stairs and the sound was less noticeable. Found the sound by putting my hand on the gas line in the front storage compartment and felt a vibration matching the sound. Do all regulators squawk? I generally thought they hissed like my BBQ grill. Of course our regulator is below the bed on DW side and she wanted the sound to go away. Good thing the G Ret between us kept us warm as I turned the furnace off until morning. Spookiest part of the night is that there was someone walking their dog in the park at 3AM and we scared the daylights out of each other as I came out from the front of the rig. Not sure which one of us jumped the most! Oh well, makes a funny campfire story.
2Shays20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
As said before, the belly cover is NOT water tight. Had the same thing happen after driving through a heavy storm, but only from the part under the basement. I found the problem is the lightweight aluminum strips Keystone uses to hold the coroplast up - it's too flexible. I replaced the front section with U channel from Lowe's and added some clear caulk. Water can still get in back further, but that's resolved the gallons of it in the front.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:04 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I would not recommend leaving tires hanging off the ground.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote