Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Moving slides with no batteries in the Monty

Something I discovered that others probably already know but I thought I'd share just in case someone didn't know:
I pull my batteries out of the Monty in the winter and keep them charged at home. I pulled the Monty out of the storage lot to my house to do some work on it. When I extended the slides, I still had the umbilical power cord hooked up to the TV and also had the 110v from the house hooked up as well. The slides extended VERY slowly. I was puzzled as to why.
Then I remembered that I had the battery isolator switch in the service center in the off position. When I put it to the on position the slides worked normally. That was my Ah-Ha! moment for the day.

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The following is just my take on this situation. Most any manfacturer strongly states not to operate your slides without the battery(s) in the system. The slide pump motor draws alot of amps ... more so when it's cold out. Granted you had the fiver hooked to your truck, but the power wire (charging wire)coming from your truck incorporated in your pigtail is by comparison pretty small ... say 14 or maybe 12 gage. Your fiver's converter is supplying an awful lot of juice to make up for the small wire supplying 12V from your truck. Did it work ... obviously did ... would I want to do it often especially in the winter months ... no. I'd just temporarily slip the fiver battery back in, it doesn't take but a couple of minutes.
After re-reading your post ... perhaps you had the battery(s) in the fiver and you were just saying be sure and switch back the isolator. If that's your intent sorry I over diagnosed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote