Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
Verizon AirCards

I have been reading posts on the best way to connect to the internet while traveling in the 5er. It seems that 3 or 5GB's on an air card are excessive with WIFI at many or most campgrounds... Whats your opinion? Also, I have decided on Verizon whether I tether or use a aircard. Does anyone have any experience with different Verizon aircards and which work the best, or do they all work the same as far as signal reception? I am new to this so have many questions... Thanks for any help you can give me.

eastridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Millenicom works well for us. They use the USB 760 air card and use the Verizon 3G Network. 20GB per month, no contract, no taxes for $59.99. Same coverage as Verizon when you go with the Millenicom Advanced Plan.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I just went to Millenicom to check out the plans, and it says, at the bottom of the page, that it uses the Sprint network for the BYOD plan. It doesn't say Verizon anywhere??

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Bill, we have the Verizon Droid and tether it to laptop. Has worked very well for us and all we have is the 30 dollar data plan for the droid which we also use for emails and web surfing.
Never owned an aircard.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Bill, we have the Verizon Droid and tether it to laptop. Has worked very well for us and all we have is the 30 dollar data plan for the droid which we also use for emails and web surfing.
Never owned an air card.

Don't you have to run some special software to tether with the X ?

We have the X also, but we pay the extra $20.00 a month for the 2Gig data, then cancel when we get gome, pro-rated.

We also have an air card a 750(I think) worked great. Some air cards have places for an antenna.

There is good info on here in other posts, also good info at escapees site.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?s...b&showforum=33
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If you want to insure the most complete coverage while you travel, I would suggest an Aircard that has an antenna jack to plug in a Wilson Antenna and 3 Watt amplifier. We have been using The Verizon 595 aircard in a Phoebus 3000 router and have been completely satisfied with it. Many of us rely on www.3gStore.com for expert advice....BTW: This aircard may no longer be available but the guys there can set you up.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Oldelmer1 - I have an LG Ally, also an Android phone like the X. My contract gave me unlimited data, and I tether it 8 hours a day using PdaNet, available in the Android Market for free. The free version doesn't allow you to connect to secure (https) sites, but the paid version is only $15.95 and has worked fine for me.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Firetrucker,
Yes you are correct they use different networks for different plans. Like I stated, if you use the "Millenicom Advanced Plan" you have the Verizon 3G network. It is that simple. This has been discussed at great lenghts on the Escapees Forum.
The BYOD plan is not the Advanced Plan. If someone subscribes to Millenicom and they don't care for the service there is not a two year contract. Millenicom is a good choice for an air card option. Especially if someone has not used an air card or is not familiar with coverage and the use of one.
The billing notice comes email each month prior to the actual billing in case you decide to cancel. Since we have been subscribers there has not been any issues for billing, coverage or data useage. In our case the 20GB is something we will probably never get to. They just went to 20GB from 10GB per month recently.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
Thanks to all, I have a lot of homework to do before I decide. But for right now I am snowed in in northern Minnesota.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Good luck Bill and Carol.. I was born and raised in Duluth... Lived there for 57 yrs before moving to the cities and finally went full time 6 yrs ago... We have been using th Verizon Air cards the entire time.... Luv it...

Hope the snow is gone early this year... I remember the Halloween snow storm in '92 where I was stuck at work for three days before they cleared the main roads. That stuff didn't melt til June.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 AM   #11
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
I remember that Halloween storm as well. At the time we lived in Hermantown. Thanks for the reply, wufta its cold today.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
Try this site: www.rv-dreams.typepad.com

Page down until you see the temperature unit on the right side and just below that you will see a calendar for December. Click on the 22nd and you can read an indepth report on equipment and carriers. This is a great site of two people who are full timers. Worth the read.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ALAN

Try this site: www.rv-dreams.typepad.com

Page down until you see the temperature unit on the right side and just below that you will see a calendar for December. Click on the 22nd and you can read an indepth report on equipment and carriers. This is a great site of two people who are full timers. Worth the read.

Alan
That should put this topic to rest for sure. Problem is that Mellenicom came out with that 20G a few days after my 30 day money back at Verizon. So I now have to weight the cancellation fee of $175.00 plus the mifi equipment. Not sure they will require me to send back the mifi, or charge me full price. The cancellation fee could be requoped within 9 mos. but I also get twice the time with 20G. Decisions decisions lol

Have a Great New Year
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you want to insure the most complete coverage while you travel, I would suggest an Aircard that has an antenna jack to plug in a Wilson Antenna and 3 Watt amplifier. We have been using The Verizon 595 aircard in a Phoebus 3000 router and have been completely satisfied with it. Many of us rely on www.3gStore.com for expert advice....BTW: This aircard may no longer be available but the guys there can set you up....."

We use almost the exact same system but a verizon USB 727 air card and a CP1000 router. It may not be the fastest ot the state of the present art but it is fast enough for us reliable and excellent coverage . We also use 3g store..they are also excellent.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:25 AM   #15
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I have had the 760 Air Card from Verizon for the last 2 years. Service at the stick house not so good so invested in the Wilson Antenna from G Store. Works great now. Granddaughter pushed in the antenna on the air card 760 and the problem began. Went to Verizon for replacement and they no longer carry the air card in stores. Had to be sent from the factory. Got it in 5 days. The story with the air cards is the new 4g air cards work even if 3 g is only available in your area. The problem is the new 4g aircards do not have the antenna hook up. This I can see will be an issue in the future for all of us that need antenna's. Hopefully they will fix that issue shortly. For now the air card 760 is still available.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The Pantech UML 290 has 2 antenna ports, one for 3g and one for 4g. According to the 3G Store you need a different antenna for 4g.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #17
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Good information on the Escapees.com forum. Looks like 3g is having a hard time since Alex and a lot of others have left the company.... Lots of changes coming and personally, I will wait a bit before changing the system I have now.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote