Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
front garage

A lot of you have added the "front Garage" under the overhang of the 5th wheel. Most I have seen has been a heavy tarp material. This is my mod for the upcoming summer but would like to hear different views on how you installed. Did you fasten to monty? What type of fasteners. Did you just build a frame? What is the frame constructed of PVC, wood, conduit pipe?

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Oh yeah...go to my blog at
http://billnjudi.blogspot.com/
first pic that comes up is the one I just built.
2x4 frame, complete with 36" door, carpet and sat tv. Doesn't fasten to the rig at all. Built 2 sidewalls and front wall, elevated rig a little bit above level, slide in walls and fasten to each other, put 1/2 pipe foam insulation around top, lowered rig bad down to hold in place, then built the short section that goes down by landing gear. Has withstood 45 mph winds so far with no issues.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Bill, if you needed satellite and television in there, you must be a bad boy to get relegated to the "underhang".

What is that light blue object right under the front cap to the left of the pin?

This looks like it's a good one when the site is pretty level. If you have a site that is front high, then you'll have a gap, and if front low, it might not fit under there. Otherwise it's just right. I hope you've got room for a small fridge, reclining chair and some kind of reminder not to stand up too fast.

I guess you can tell I don't always end up at level sites and I misbehave so much I think of these things.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks wildhorse, I checked your pictures out and that is a great addition. However I think I am looking for something a little more portable rather than a 2 x 4 frame. Plus as some campsites we may be nose high or nose low so the height adjustment would be a necessity.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I bought the front skirt from CW and fasten it to the trailer with snap fasteners. I know I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the unit for the snaps but once you do the first one the rest come easy. Just make sure you use a very good sealent when you put the screws in. As far as holding it secure at the bottom, most people I see use pvc tube that they put water in for weight or sand and that holds them in place pretty good. Very nice for outside storage.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

I bought the front skirt from CW and fasten it to the trailer with snap fasteners. I know I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the unit for the snaps but once you do the first one the rest come easy. Just make sure you use a very good sealent when you put the screws in. As far as holding it secure at the bottom, most people I see use pvc tube that they put water in for weight or sand and that holds them in place pretty good. Very nice for outside storage.

Dave
I did the same as above only I use tent stakes to hold mine down. One problem I had was that the first one tore and CW happily replaced it, however, the snaps on the new one were not EXACTLY in the same place as the original so it sags in some spots and is very tight in others, pretty close, but not exact. I will live with it. I only use it when set up for long term as now. I like Wildhorses setup for more permmanent setup......Good Job!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We bought a front skirt from Care Free and it has twisties to keep it in place. I didn't want snaps because they can rust and become difficult to remove. We have some plastic shelves in the small room and that is where I keep all the extra beer and soft drinks and water and comperssor and tools and------. Just keep in mind that anything that you don't want to get wet has to stay AWAY from the front because rain water will run right past the canvas and drip on things about a foot inside.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same thing got it from C.W, Use it here in Florida for storage and it helps a bit with keeping some of the wind and cold out of the front end. Tie it down with tent pegs if we can or tie it to concrete blocks. It has worked well for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

We bought a front skirt from Care Free and it has twisties to keep it in place. I didn't want snaps because they can rust and become difficult to remove. We have some plastic shelves in the small room and that is where I keep all the extra beer and soft drinks and water and comperssor and tools and------. Just keep in mind that anything that you don't want to get wet has to stay AWAY from the front because rain water will run right past the canvas and drip on things about a foot inside.
If you use stainless steel snaps like I did you won't need to worry about the rust. But you will worry about the cost of them rascals. Can't recall the exact price but it was somewhere around $50.00 for a package which was enough to do the job. Hard to find, but I found them at a marina.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote