Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The younger generation

We are having an Estate-garage sale, a young (13 or so) neighbor lad was so excited when he saw an old Cannon AE-1 camera I had for sale.
He has a digital camera with plenty of memory, down-loadable to the INTERNET and all sorts of free on-line software support, he bought my old Cannon. Now he has to buy film, pay for developing it and will struggle with the settings.
Interesting old versus new, going on here.
FYI:
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000HUc
http://www.acecam.com/photography/4017.html

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well Ozz its gone and that is what you wanted ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, I told him if it was too much for him, I would give him his money back.
Heck, he may become a world class photo-journalist some day.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ouch! Wish I'd been at your garage sale because I'd have fought that young man over the camera! My first serious camera was a Canon AE-1, bought the year it came on the market, and it's still my #1 camera for a lot of things. It's been hiking, skiing, hunting, fishing, to Europe several times, and has had only one minor repair. Talk about a classic!

I love my new Canon digitals, but that AE-1 will always be the real deal for me. Hope that lucky young man learns to use and appreciate what he bought.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don has an old fancy smancy camera with the lens out to there! We use it for really good pictures. Use digitals most of the time.

I remember when we were down to Mesa Verde park. He took pictures all the way through the cliff ruins. At the end of the park he checked to see what picture he was on and found he didn't have any film in the camera!!! We stayed another day and took pictures again.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have three cameras but still go back to my AE-1 when I want true black and white photos. When I was in college I used the AE-1 so much I thought it would be worn out. I am not knocking my digitals but its all about the art form. I am convinced there are some things a digital can not compete with.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Don has an old fancy smancy camera with the lens out to there! We use it for really good pictures. Use digitals most of the time.

I remember when we were down to Mesa Verde park. He took pictures all the way through the cliff ruins. At the end of the park he checked to see what picture he was on and found he didn't have any film in the camera!!! We stayed another day and took pictures again.
I've also taken pictures and then discovered that there wasn't any film in the camera. It was a little embarrassing but I got over it.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
True confessions! I recently saw a large moose in the meadow below our house and RV pad, so I grabbed my Canon AE-1 and a couple of telephoto lenses and ran down to get some good shots. Oh, boy--he posed for me in several positions--full front, side view, paddles down, paddles up, stepping down into the creek, etc. I just kept shooting and shooting because I'd never had such wonderful luck with a moose. Then I realized--for a 24-shot roll of film, I sure was getting to take a lot of photos. My problem wasn't the lack of film in the camera. I just hadn't gotten the film caught securely in the spindle when I loaded the camera, so all my cranking was pulling nothing. I guess one downfall of my beloved AE-1 is that what's going on inside of it can't be seen, so if I don't get the film in right, or if I don't get film in at all, I don't know it until it's too late.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote