Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
5th Airborne Sidewinder

This forum has been very good to us in advice and recommendations.

Those with or without the 5th Airborne Sidewinder are asked to weigh in on the application and/or any recommendation of this product.

Also in selecting the 5th Airborne Sidewinder, what hitch is recommended to work/compatible with the Sidewinder?

We are considering and close to closing on a Montana 3400RL that this product maybe used on?? Thanks Everyone.

Dennis

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis, I have a '06 3400RL and a SB Chevy. I have a standard hitch with a manual slider that I have never used, only 4 months RV'ing, mind you. I put on a Mor-Ryde kingpin and really like it. As far as a slider hitch, I really think that is a good measure of safety and will probably use mine someday. The new cap on the Montys gives me about an 85% turn and that is enough for me with my limited experience. One thing I would not be without is the Blue Ox Bed Saver. IF your trailer comes unhitched and falls back, this device catches it so it will not damage your truck, plus it will not come apart from truck. Just a little insurance.

Hope this helps in some small way.

PS. Welcome to the best darned forum on the www.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Dennis, I have the 5th Airborne Sidewinder and usings a Husky 16k hitch. Since this is the first 5th wheel I have driven, I have no comparision that I can give you. Everything seems to ride well, no harsh jolts or pushing from the 5th wheel. Reason for getting this unit: Being new to 5th wheels, and having a short bed, figured I'd at some point crush the 5th wheel into the side of the cab of the TV. The sidewinder allows for a full 90 degree turn. Also allows room between the TV and the 5th wheel to put down the TV gate. Would I buy it again, yes. Only disadvantage that I can think of is if you need someone else to tow your 5th wheel, they will need a hitch that can accept the block that the 5th Airborn Sidewinder used to stop the piviting at the hitch. Since the pivit point it uses is 19 inches further back in the Pin Box.

Hope this helps, is any other questions on the pin box, feel free to ask.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks so much Phil. Another good tip was the Blue Ox "saver" item not thought about.

There are some great products out there and we are also considering the Mor-Ryde kingpin that you have.

The other consideration with the Airborne is someone else towing, also not considered. Great value on your input. Tks. Dennis
Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks Rogue (Bob) for your valuable input. Where we are considering the purchase of the 3400RL, they install Husky and 5th Airborne Sidewinders products so you have some experience we value with these products. I am also considering the hitch framing to be underneath the truck as well. Tks again. Dennis
Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I just got my 5th airborne, not sidewinder, have LB Chevy, towed the Monte for about a year before getting it. Good $$ investment, ride is a lot better, and the DW loves it. Only problem was the location of the air chuck, and the nice lady at Airborne is sending me and extention tohelp with that problem.

Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Purchased a 5th airborne sidewinder and love the turn radius with my short bed 2500 Ram. I seem to have a problem that 5th Airborne has had with others, the air bag keeps leaking off pressure. Get this, the first fix was to put a can of fix a flat ( Rep @ 5th AB). Still problem so took trailer back to CW who installed the hitch. Another call to 5th AB. This time solution was to disassemble and tighten fitting on air bag. CW Tech put bag in water w/o trailer weight and no bubbles appeared. Checked pressure with trailer attached to truck and then drove 100 miles and checked again. 8 PSI less. Today I cecked after 24 hours with trailer unhooked from truck and PSI is down about 12 more PSI. Has anyone else had a problem or is there something that I'm missing. I'm ready to insist on a new hitch.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Winter Texan, Have had mine since June end. Only had to put air into it once, because I added more weight inside. I'd have them check the valve stem for a slow leak, or else the bag. Thats it if the connections are not leaking.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote