Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Trixi

We made the decision not to have a pet while fulltiming. Since we no longer travel, things changed. It has been several years since we have had a pet. When the kids were growing, we had different breeds of dogs from registered show dogs to mutts (the dumbest ones were the registered Irish Setters). Our emphasis was on raising kids, not focused on the dogs and cats. All that to say this adventure with Trixi, the Papillon, is quite different, new and very entertaining to us.

If you don't remember, Trixi is a rescue dog, mangled by a pit bull when we got her. She recovered and has turned into a frisky lap dog. To say she is a people dog somehow understates it. When we sit down, she leaps into our lap and melts to our side like glue until she gets too hot and then it is down to our feet to wait for our next move. This is mostly with Dianna. I am second choice.

Trixi has two squeaky toys. One is "Pooh", the raccoon, the other is "Tigger", the tiger, both are about as big as a chipmunk (she knows the difference by name). When playtime comes I stare at Trixi and growl. Then I hop at her and reach for one of the toys. She pins her ears back, barks, leaps at me and guards her toy, biting and chewing it. I reach for the other and here we go again. She grabs one, puts it on top of the other and lays on them so I can't get to them. This growling and barking and bantering with the toys continues until one of us get tired of it. Then it is back to the lap.

Walking the dog is not usually a topic of conversation, but...we ask if she wants to go outside. When she does she spins, dances on her back legs, runs to the door and looks as if she will jump out of her skin waiting for the door to open. When she finishes what she needs to do, she does what most dogs do, scratch the ground. However, you would think she is going to a fight. Of course, the sand she throws up isn't anywhere near the direction of her spot. As she scratches, she growls with a low woof and finishes it off with jumping her front legs off the ground and barks. Then she looks around for any challenges with her chest stuck out. I laugh every time.

Just now, while I was typing this and Dianna was in the kitchen, Trixi came in and started a little short bark. I patted her on the head, but she kept it up and put her front paws on my leg. So I finally went to my recliner and sat. Sure enough, she wanted me to sit there so she could get into my lap. I may learn to understand dog speak yet. After all, every dog knows people are trainable.

"Want to go for a ride?" She goes nuts. Can't wait to get in the car. Her heart is beating fast. She quivers all over. Loves to look out the window.

It may surprise all of you, but Dianna doesn't always want to watch the same TV program that I do, so she takes her leave to the bedroom and the other TV, Trixi close behind. Trixi is banned from the bed for the most part, but while Dianna watches TV, she makes exception. Trixi goes crazy, ducking under the covers and pillows, then leaping out turning around in circles and seems gleeful. Then just as quickly, lies down and goes to sleep.

Trixi is a smart, well trained, loving and obedient little dog. I am sorry for whoever lost her or threw her away. She has been the perfect pet for a couple in their seventies. I can not find a down side. She has provided us with much laughter and just plain old fun. She amazes us with her antics. We have left her in the house while we were out on business for up to six hours without any negative incidents. This must be old hat for you who own pets, but for us, Trixi has been a therapeutic spark.

God can bless us with the seemingly small and insignificant. "In everything give thanks."

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Great post, Stiles. We can definitely relate.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Pets can be a great companions and friends.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks for the post, enjoyed every word, sometimes the best stories are those of everyday life, it brings to mind a scene from Forest Gump on a bench in Savannah "and you tell it so well".
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Great story! It is amazing how these little critters can work their way into our lives
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
As I was reading this I could actually "see" the sparkle in your eyes!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Isn't it amazing how much joy a pet can bring to our lives?

You can tell who your best friend is by putting both your dog and wife in the trunk of your car and drive around for a couple of hours, then stop, open the trunk and see who is happy to see you. LOL.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Hey Stiles,

Great to hear how much you are both enjoying Trixi. All pets are great, but those rescued ones are even more special and they know when they've gotten a second chance.

This is why I feel bad for people who are not "pet people", as they don't know how special it can be and what they're missing.

Enjoy your little friend!

Greg and Kris
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I think I'll go pet & play with my puppy now...
Good post Stiles. I hope you have many more happy years ahead with Trixi.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote