Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #21
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here's a link for a product that links three EU2000 Honda generators:

http://www.wisesales.com/triple-parallel-kit.html

I have seen a better connector box but it will take me a little why to locate a link. I am not endorsing nor recommending this product. I recall from my electronics days that some synchronization is required and I don't know if these cables do this correctly and I am not willing to try this with my own equipment until I know all the answers. But this gives you the idea of the possibilities. Unfortunately I don't know how well this works or how practical it would be, but it sure seems to suit the small portability of some very clean power.

ON EDIT: There is no other solution that I can find. I thought I saw one where the 50 amp box had a gauge. This is a newer version and has no gauge. I was able to see that on the link it is the same provided, they just replaced the prior version with this much better looking solution. I recall the old version was much more expensive. Again, I don't know how good this thing works.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The two Honda generators give one a lot more options.At the time we could not afford the two Honda's so got the one Kipor 3.5K gen at a very good price. Has been in the back of the truck for over 6 years. Have never taken it out as it is heavy but we just drive the truck around to the rear or side when we need to use it which has not been very often as we do not boondock.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #23
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Wow, 3 Honda's at around $1000 each and this $300 kit. $3300 for generators???????????? Some of you sure got more money than we got to ....................................... Sorry, just thinking out loud.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We only carry one 2000i. Have never had the need for two. We've dry camped in 105° heat and were able to get by just using our three Fantastic Fans sucking air through the rig and out the roof openings. All we do is open windows on the shady side of the Montana and the fans do the rest.

We spent the entire summer in Desert Hot Springs, CA in 2008 where we had power and the one AC on the rig kept us comfortable as long as we ran a Fantastic Silent Breeze 12-volt fan to circulate the air inside the rig. Couldn't use the Fantastic Fans to suck air through the rig because the air was too warm!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #25
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Alwims... LOL. I know what you mean! I have a wish list for the Monty longer than I can afford, but it's about what is considered more important based on our experiences, priorities and preferences.

Early on with our trailering days, we ran into bad power problems with campgrounds, so being able to run our nice Monty off the rig at full power was more important than other things. Then being able to use gennys with my weak body meant small portability was important. We got our first EU2000 as a retirement gift and I added the second EU2000 and bought the dual kit when the campground lost power for a couple days (and we still wanted to light up our fake palm tree ). My intolerance of the heat would not work if I had to rely on Orv's fan solution.

If we get a second A/C then we know I'll need 50 amp gen capability which is how I found out about the three generator option. Sometimes we can justify high purchases if the expense is amortized over time.

It's good to know all the options and configurations and then you can decide how you want to spend your money. For example, Orv probably spent a mint on his BigFoot solution where I prefer to spend it on gennys. Where I have experienced power problems more than I have had leveling problems.

This forum is a great place to find out all the possibilities to spend your money to better determine where and on what you want to spend it. (see topics on TPMS, air hitches, levelers, stabilizers, macerators, A/C, appliances, tires, wheels, toys, etc., etc., etc.)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Campgrounds are much better on power requirement's than they were some years ago. In the late 80's and early 90's it was not uncommon for a C.G to lose power on weekends and holidays. If you were a regular camper a generator was a almost necessity. Campgrounds began to upgrade because of Rv power requirement's and those that did remained in business. We purchased this Kipor in 2005 and in hindsight it was a needles expense.we have used it maybe twice in nearly 7 years because of a campground power failure for maybe 3 total hours. I do run it for 30 mins every month as routine maint. we did use it a few times in our driveway during summer storms and power failures but we already had a noisy Sears generator for the house.Unless we were boondockers, which we are not, I would not now spend the $$ for a
generator. Oh just rememberd we did use it at Quartzsite for a 10 hour run and it was handy but that was our first and last trip to quartzsite.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote