Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Geocaching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
new to geocaching

We are about to start geocaching.

First, we are using geocaching.com for find caches to seek. Is there a better site?

Second, we were just gifted a new Nuvi 250w gps. It is our first gps so we are on the bottom of the learning curve. Should we use it in Pedestrian mode after we drive to the vicinity of the cache?

Thanks for the tips.
Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Geocaching.com is the site we use, in fact it is the only site that I know of. Don't know anything about your Nuvi, so won't say anything except that it would seem logical to use Pedestrian mode. Does that give you a compass heading that you can follow to a waypoint? We use a hand-held Magellan Explorist 210, but there are numerous other options that will work.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Gene, Welcome to a great pasttime. We use Geocache.com exclusively, I think they are the only one. We use Google maps to get us close to the area, then use our eTrex HCx to lead us to the cache. You probbly want to use pedestrian mode once you get close. I am not familiar with your unit. I would suggest starting out with the ones marked easy until you get used to your GPS unit. We usually look for caches around city and state parks and take a lunch with us and do a picnic while out. We also find it a great way to see areas we would not normally see just sightseeing. Have a great time and post your results often. We are going out tomorrow for some hiking and geocaching in the Ft. Walton Beach area of Florida.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks. We are definitely starting out easy.

I am thinking of using Nuvi on auto mode to get close, homing in on the coordinates. Then switch to either Pedestrian or Off Road. I suspect Pedestrian routes you along roadways it says "route optimized for walking". Off Road is "without regard" to roads.

I will play with the GPS and etc. We like the picnic idea as we do that often. Selecting parks is excellant tip.

Thanks again.\Gene
Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Gene,
Take a look at this site
http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

I have tried this and it works quite well with the Nuvi and eliminates the need for 2 gps
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Very interesting!!!! Thanks Charlie, I am going to have to try this out.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Charlie, Thanks. i will review that site carefully.

Found first two caches yesterday. Bombed on two others. ;>)

The nuvi I have works great for driving. I had hoped to be able to get within 20 feet of the coordinates, and perhaps it does. More practice is in order!
Gene
Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Charlie's web site has a Find the Cache tab. It shows how to get a satelite image ... a screen that is mentioned no where in the on-line owners manual. It will give your current exact location, so you can walk a little to get on top of the cache. My screen in that mode is reading 43 feet accuracy. I guess that depends on how many of the satalites you are getting input from.

Anyway, that info is just what I needed. Very cool indeed.

gene
Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
For those who are using a Mac, there is a program you can download (shareware) called "Maccaching". It works quite well to download data to my Magellan Explorist and allows us to do "paperless geocaching" without any other device. There is also a really neat application for Ipod Touch, or Iphone, that takes all the info directly from Geochaching.com to your Ipod/Iphone. It appears on the Ipod/Iphone exactly like it appears on Geochaching.com. There is a compass to guide you to the cache, but I think that only works with a GPS enabled Iphone. It does not seem to work on our Ipod Touch.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote