Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC / Great Lakes Region
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Show 'n Tell

This was a popular event at the National Rally last September and at the Western Regional Rally at Lake Siskiyou in May. We've learned from those experiences and would like to hold a similar event at the Great Lakes Regional Rally.

So, here's the plan:
- If you want to show something interesting/innovative that you've done to your Monty, send me a list describing all the things you've done to improve your rig. Short descriptions are fine, such as "replaced Lazy Susan with wire shelving."
- The event will be held like a progressive dinner - everyone attending will go from one coach to the next. (I'll figure out the sequence after we get parked) Owners will describe and demonstrate their improvements, then close the door and join the group to move to the next coach, so nobody will miss anything. We'll spend 5-10 minutes MAX at each rig - or else we'll be late to dinner.
- A list of everyone's improvements will be distributed to everyone attending the rally. If you can't attend the event, consult the list and contact owners separately for more info on things you're interested in.

So, PLEASE send me your list!

Also, I suggest we hold the event on two afternoons, since there are likely to be too many rigs to visit all on one day. What days would work best? We need to avoid the factory tours (BTW, when are they?) and any other events scheduled, and sooner is probably better as some people may need to leave early.

Any and all input is welcome! Send your lists, ideas and suggestions either as a reply to this posting or to my email gypsy4scm@yahoo.com.

Looking forward to seeing you all!
Sharon

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
First of all I am posting this as my thoughts only and hope no offence is taken as any suggestions of how to do something like a show and tell without any hitch is quite an undertaking.
I don't like the idea of a train going through our unit. I know some will but not us. I think if people are interested in something you have done to improve your unit they can go over a have a little visit and see the improvement. I know I will be reading the list of improvements and marking the ones I want to see. I can't see myself joining the train and waiting to go into the unit that has the improvement I want to see. I remember last year at Pla-Mor a lot of people couldn't make the time for show and tell and missed seeing what the improvements that people have made. I think the last year format is workable only it should be spread out over a couple of days so everyone can see the changes they want to see. Perhaps number the rows of rigs and have row 1 on one morning, row 2 during an afternoon, etc.
My thoughts.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:15 AM   #3
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Will demonstrate my Porta-Bote and how we mount it under the Monty.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Bill & Ann - Thanks for your comments, and no offense taken. Last year, as you know, a lot of people missed seeing others' improvements because they were busy showing their own. We tried the progressive style at the gathering in May, and it seemed to work well. One advantage of the progressive style is only one session of describing your improvements, not having to tell the same story over and over and over...every time someone new comes to see your rig. I know I got tired of repeating myself so many times.

If you don't want people traipsing through your rig, you don't have to open it up to them. After all, it is your home. In fact, you don't have to participate, and no offense intended there, either. One couple brought photos of their improvements because they were traveling without their rig. If you'd rather do that and avoid having a train of people inside, you could use that method of sharing your improvements. Or you could just list the improvements and say "demonstrations by appointment only."

Does anyone else have comments on the alternative formats suggested by Bill and Ann? I'm certainly open to trying yet another format if it will work better. Maybe we shouldn't try to schedule anything and just distribute lists, then let people talk to those owners who've done something that interests them.

Sharon
Old 08-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Sharon: If the turnout is as big as I expect it will be, you will be repeating yourself many times anyway as the coach only holds so many people at one time. I agree that if you don't want people in their rig, they shouldn't participate. I expect the same number will be going through whatever way it is done. Last yr. there was a large turnout at Pla-Mor and I expect there will be almost as many this year. It will probably be the largest gathering of all the rallys. You are right about some people being busy showing their rigs and not seeing others, that's why I thought if it was scheduled by rows everyone could participate. I have posted most of my improvements already so I don't expect too many visitors.
Again, my thoughts. Now I will be quiet. A pat on the back to you for taking this on.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:31 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I know that Al and I did not get OUT to see other's improvements last year, and I will say, thank you to all those who opened their doors AFTER the show to allow us to see your improvements.

I had thought the progressive show and tell was a good idea, but Bill, I can see your points quite well.

So, does anyone know what other clubs might do?? Maybe we are trying to re-invent the wheel??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta go along with Bill. I can envision a long line of folks waiting at each rig waiting their turn to view and ask question about all the improvements. I feel the "5-10 minutes MAX at each rig" would be virtually impossible.

I would suggest we pick an entire day for the Sho & Tell. If the campground is set up as it was last year we could have all the rigs on one side of the driveway do their sho and tell from 9 to noon and the other side from 1 til 4 saving 12 to 1 for a lunch break. This way if a member isn't interested in the improvements in the next rig he/she can move on to one that does interest them. For example...As a man I am more interested in mechanical improvements and have little interest in what was done with the curtains, wallpaper, etc. Whereas Lorraine would have little interest in the mechanicals and would be more interested in changes in the decor. We could also have the Yard/Craft sale set up for the same day using the same schedule.

This would only tie up one day for the Sho & Tell and the Yard/Craft Sale and should not interfere with the dinner at all.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:17 AM   #8
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Okay, I agree with Bill and Glenn about the benefits of having the
event less structured. It's also true that not everyone will be interested in every rig's improvements. But you'll be able to see the list before visiting the rig and decide whether that's a good time to take a break.

I also agree that 5-10 minutes will be enough time for some rigs but
not others. When we did this in May, we visited 9 rigs in about 2
hours, if my memory serves me right. That's an average of about 13
minutes per rig. In most cases, owners described their improvements
outside, then those interested went inside to look at things. Lots of improvements are outside the rig, too. If people go inside, they
could be asked to remove their shoes, and/or plastic could be
supplied to protect floors.

The only problem with the idea of visiting rigs by row is that there
will still be the issue of people showing their rig not being able to get free to see the others on the same row during their assigned
time. Maybe it's not such a problem for couples who can spell each
other, although obviously Carol and Al had the problem, probably
because she would talk about some improvements and he would talk
about others. Since I travel alone, I would have to decide whether to show my improvements or close the door and go see others. I'll
probably choose the latter and therefore not participate in
'showing.' Does anyone have a solution to that?

Carol, I like your idea of finding out how other RVers have handled
this at their rallies? Does anyone have connections that could help
us? Is there a perfect way, or will we have to compromise and do the
best we can? Does anyone who attended the event in May have a
comment? Are we trying to over-engineer it and miss the point of
learning and having fun?

[Sorry for the formatting problems - I wrote this in a text editor and pasted it here.]
Old 08-06-2005, 03:52 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Actually, Gypsy,

Al and I did a half hour on and a half hour off, I knew what the outside improvements were and could "show" them, as in point my finger and "here it is"! HA HA. We still did not manage to see half of the other rigs.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
What about a list that has a person's name/site #/list of improvements and a dime scheduled to see their rig.

Ex. Rig#1- Mike and Wendy Site 10 Improvements: Basement electric. Time: 10am-10:15am

Rig#2 - Bill and Ann Site 25 Improvements: Added storage under fridge. Time: 10:15-10:30.

That way everyone that has something to show will be able to sign up for the time they want to show and still get to see other rigs.

Just a suggestion.
Any thoughts?
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:43 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Sounds good to me.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #12
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Okay, I'm happy to go with Mike & Wendy's suggestion.

Now, we need to have a list from everyone interested in participating! So, please send those messages so I can get the handouts prepared in advance.

Thanks,
Sharon
Old 08-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #13
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ok Sharon I will start it off.
Improvements:
1. Under stove and frig storage on 3670RL
2. New headboard on bed
3. Shower Skylight heat shield
4. Screen door cover
5. Rear Window Sunshade
Old 08-28-2005, 12:15 PM   #14
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Thanks, Bill & Ann. I know there are others out there - please send those lists!

Sharon
Old 08-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #15
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Here are some of the things that we have done to our 2005 3400 RL

1. Replace sofa with a Lazy Boy couch with Queen sleeper and put it at the rear window.

2. Removed the two recliners and replaced it with one Lazy Boy Recliner on the slide side.

3. Removed the Lazy Susan and replaced with dividers and shelves under the sinks.

4. Replaced the faucet with a one unit removable nozzles/sprayer.

5. Removed panel under the ref. and made it into a door, bottom hindged with a poll out tray for large flat pans.

6. On closet next to the shower, put in 4 shelves for sheets, towels, etc.

7. Where you can put in a washer/dryer, replaced with 5 pull out baskets hanging off the rear wall for food supplies.

8. Basement, built a rack system for a 24" by 6' folding table, two Lufuma reclining chairs, 4 fold=up chairs, a Webber baby Q grill, 2 burner cast iron stove, also carry a tube for the flag poles and base, extenable pole, hanger for the front hitch stablizer, holer for extra 25' 30 amp cord, a extra 20 lb LP tank, turkey frier burner and pot plus oil, 3 storage bins, small vaccum cleaner.

9. In the front, (4) 6 volt batteries, 2500 watt inverter, 7 small storage contaniners, one each for water, sewer, TV cables, 12 volt items, 110 volt items, and a couple misc items, a high presure air bottle with regulator, air hose, tire plug repair kit, air tools, 6 ton hydraulic jack.

10. Two storage tubes under the coach, 6" for sewer hoses and 8" for outdoor rugs.

Well that is all that I can think of now.
See everybody in IN.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:44 AM   #16
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Sharon: Here are a couple of additions to my list.
6. Sofa bed moved to rear of coach and recliners at the side.
7. Upholstered chairs at table replaced with oak chairs.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:56 AM   #17
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I am going to work on a hand-out with pictures inserted for anyone that is interested on what we have done to our 3400RL.
If you take the pictures and print them out in a gray-scale format, they print up pretty good.
That way you have something to take with you after the tours.
It may save a little time also.
Just one minor problem, we are set-up at a campground in MN and all the itmes from the basement are set-up outside, the Lufma chairs, folding table, Q grill, turkey fryer and pot, 10 x10 gazabo.
But 8 days to get it done til we head to IN
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #18
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Some items off the top-of-my-head that have been completed or are in progress... Note: We have to leave no later than early Monday afternoon. Schedule accordingly.

1) Replaced all the wall paper border. (original owner had overlaid factory stuff anyway...)

2) Festive themed curtain (wine & cheese) in dining room.

3) Adding window tint film to reduce UV to prevent interior fading.

4) Adding curtains back to living room area. (previous owners again...)

5) Grape decorations on top of kitchen cabinets & over exterior door.

6) Memory boards attached to back of kitchen cabinets facing living room. Holds pictures of previous camping trips.

7) Book case attached to wall beside refrigerator.

8) Replaced toilet with high rise toilet and added riser. Helps with small water closet...

9) Replaced shelf in water closet with proper toilet topper.

10) Added shelving in 1/2 of washer/drier closet for towels & such.

11) Firmly anchored tv in bedroom using eye hooks & straps.

12) Added receiver to rear of rig for bike carrier.

13) Added a hubodometer

14) Added a TrailAir pinbox
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:03 AM   #19
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Sharon: We won't be able to make the rally. I guess you will have to tear up our list.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:12 AM   #20
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Sharon,

Looks like we are going to make it to the Rally. We helped you last year with some of the leg work, so if needed, we will do so again this year.

There are some wonderful ideas in people's lists. I have not done much in our new 3670RL, but here is our list:

- Drawers under fridge and stove

- Moved storage locker lights to celing, and installed 120 volt outlets where the lights used to be, plus one in front locker.

- 12 volt DC outlet for cell phone charging.

- Inside switch for hot water heater with pilot indicators for power on and heater on.

- Handle and hinges on access door for winterizing water system and furnace to replace the screws.

Looking forward to seeing you, and everyone else tomorrow.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote