Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don't freeze your belly....

Winter is here, or approaching some of us out there in MOC-land, it is tempting to leave the noisy inefficient propane furnace off and warm our piggies with the electric heaters we all have.
When do we switch to the Propane furnace.... Looking at the little thermometer stuck with a suction cup to the window is one way, but there can be 2 to 5 degrees difference between the under-belly and the window. Some of us have the remote read thermometer with a sensor right in the under-belly, nice.. but here is a $10.00 way for the masses to accomplish this reading.
Shut off the water faucet from the street, turn on the switch to the pump.
Turn on the bathroom cold faucet, let it run for a minute or so to get water from the lines out and condition the plastic water lines, then you have the actual temperature of the tank water. If it is anywhere in the high or mid 30's, turn the propane furnace on. No one wants frozen tanks and frozen water lines....

Inexpensive thermometer:

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz I've got another idea for you . Put a little squirrel cage fan under the cabinets to blow under the floor put it on a electric heat thermostat. I would use a 12 volt one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we went thru the factory it looked like the tanks took up most of the room side to side with hoses, pipes, electrical wiring, support bracing etc going back and forth under there. I would be afraid that by not running the furnace a hose or connection could freeze because the air wouldn't circulate to that part of the underbelly. The furnace vents run thru those areas and are the planned way to provide heat to those areas. I would stay with Ozz's advise and if it gets cold enough run the furnace.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We had ours freeze and opened the belly and found a water line laying on a steel cross peice and froze there So moved and proteced the line with insulation. No problems now.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Unless the sustained temperature is at near or below freezing during the day, we use some electric day time heat, but only use propane at night. Our extra heat at night comes in the form of an electric mattress pad. For us the pad works better than an electric blanket. It is not really warm to the touch, but makes for a pleasant crawl into bed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Stiles, we're with you, mattress pad works great, plus we generally have 2 to 4 little fur balls generating or is the subtracting heat.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Snowman8wa
Established Member

M.O.C. #10453
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Winter is here, ... Some of us have the remote read thermometer with a sensor right in the under-belly, nice.. but here is a $10.00 way for the masses to accomplish this reading.
Inexpensive thermometer #2: Wife says "It's 40 degrees.....get up and turn on the heater..............." Saved the $10.00 and no frozen pipes....PLUS...Momma's happy and warm......

Hasn't failed me yet!
Snowman8wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our electric heater is small enough that if we set the thermostat at 60 degrees (Joyce wouldn't go for less than 65, but it's warmer in our bedroom than where the thermostat is at), if it's cold enough to cause problems underneath the furnace will come on and help the heater then if it's above freezing in the day time we add the fireplace to the mix and the furnace stays off.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hi Everyone:
We are Canadian snowbirds and got stuck this Oct. in Edmonton. Temp at nights 19 to 20 F. We have a 2013 Montana 3800RE so we have a fireplace too. Froze our fresh water line even with furnace set at 72F and fireplace on. Line is exposed. Ran trouble light to thaw line. That worked but will have to insulate line from tank to pump.
Boy are we glad we are out of there. Now in southern B.C. headed to Arizona. It doesn't freeze in Phoenix.
Any ideas on insulation ?

Happy trails.
Dave
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We have spent the last 2 cold winters up here in the NW, MANY days below freezing and lots of snow, I just put heat tape on the fresh water line ALL THE WAY to both ends then wrap foam sleeves on them and set the propane furnace at night to 65 and NO PROBLEMS! Walk in the park man,ALSO when you dump your tanks make sure you get All the waste water out of the hose or you will end up with a giant block of black ice in your hose next time you try to dump (Rookie mistake my first winter)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

We have spent the last 2 cold winters up here in the NW, MANY days below freezing and lots of snow, I just put heat tape on the fresh water line ALL THE WAY to both ends then wrap foam sleeves on them and set the propane furnace at night to 65 and NO PROBLEMS! Walk in the park man,ALSO when you dump your tanks make sure you get All the waste water out of the hose or you will end up with a giant block of black ice in your hose next time you try to dump (Rookie mistake my first winter)
Two winter time rules for us "non-snowbirds":
1) Don't eat yellow snow
and
2) Don't use "black ice" in your sweet tea!

Oz,
just replaced my remote thermometer in the water compartment. Bought a Acurite unit and mounted the readout with velcro inside near the "command center". Total cost was under $11.00 (not incld batteries) from Wally World.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Ozz et all
hadn't thought about not heating in the underbelly when real cold - using a propane hearer inside leaves out tanks ...thanks
also disapointed to see that the zero option only has a thin insulated pad, same as i use on the windows in the summer
mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet Mikey, that's why the remote read thermometer is a good idea. It does work, but have to keep the warm air flowing into the underbelly.
I wired a switch to circulate the air.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jim, the first year we had this rig we stayed in Tenn. That winter was the coldest since 1934. We had high winds blowing under the rig and the temp stayed around 10 degrees for days at a time. We had heated hose and hydrant but still kept the internal fresh water tank full. We only had two freeze ups and they were in the service bay and involved the water supply. They were fixed by my sitting a ceramic heater in the basement near the service bay. The belly never froze even when we hit zero. The heat ducted to the belly area kept every thing down there from freezing....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Before we went back toKS to work at Amazon i pulled the whole underbelly and put two layers of 3/4" expanded polystyrene (a few places only 1, parts of the tanks were too low for 2)above the reflectix, between the metal crosspieces. Placed a piece under the curved aluminum bottom trim angled from the top outside to the lip on the bottom of the frame. Wasn't going to freeze pipes again this year, even though Pex tubing is supposed to take it. Well, long story short, Georgia was diagnosed with lung cancer and we had to come home early so didn't get to try it out. Both water lines were laying on the bottom of the underbelly area, not tied up or covered, no wonder they froze at 15 degrees, even running the furnace. Ready for cold weather next year though.
By the way, chemo seems to be doing it's thing, trusting in God to bring a complete remission!
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Tom,

We are praying for Georgia for a full recovery. I know GOD hears our prayers and whatever plans he has for you and Georgia will be because he LOVES you!

Keep the Faith!

Les

Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #17
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
ozz
i need to not trust the weather man
left shore water on expected 35 froze
onboard heat fireplace and a 1500w portable and house set at 60[never ran last nite
oh well the high desert
mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #18
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I just keep the electric heaters for 30 deg's and above. If it gets into the 20's I use the furnace only. Once it gets that cold the electric heater don't seem to do much good anyways. Luckily I don't got to deal with 20 deg days and nights that much.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote