Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Mt. Shasta/area

Greetings from an "Old MOCer" who's now an SOB!

Don and I are currently in Petaluma, CA, visiting his aunt and uncle who live in Santa Rosa. We're heading north tomorrow, and want to spend a night in the Mt. Shasta area tomorrow night. I remember all the trees at the campground on Lake Siskiyou where the MOC rallies have been held, but we want to have satellite access. Does anyone know anything about other parks in the area? I've sent a private message to Don & Claudia (if I still have the right address), but I'm not sure they'll get my request in time. We'll be heading out around 9 am Pacific Time.

Thanks for any advice...

P.S. Check out my new blog at http://shadonrv.blogspot.com

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Hi Gypsy! While there are some spots at Lake Siskiyou that can get a satellite signal, they are not marked. You do have to be familiar with the various sites to get one where it works.

Another member (Jim & Vicky) recently stayed at a park in McCloud. I don't recall the name, but it has all the amenities including fishing. They were unable to get a reservation at Lake Siskiyou, checked it out and said it looked great. Do not even consider the KOA in Mt. Shasta!

Hopefully Don will see this and offer some aid before you leave.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Jim n Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9161
Hi Guys - this is Vicki of Jim n Vicki. We just got back from McCloud. We stayed at Siskiyou for the 5 days that we could get a reservation then moved onto McCloud Dance Country RV Park. We really liked it, lots of green, big trees, good restaurant in walking distance and wonderful, helpful staff. They had free WiFi and I was always able to connect using my Verizon AirCard. We did some exploring of the area and the McCloud River is close by with 3 falls, swimming holes and fishing. Jim did not fish this trip, we were too busy exploring and enjoying ourselves. I agree with Carl - don't consider the KOA in Mt. Shasta City. McCloud is just up the hill (good road) about 9 miles from Mt. Shasta City so you can drive to get supplies easily although there is a fairly good grocery story in McCloud. There is also the Shasta dinner train which we did not do this trip but have heard from relatives that it is not to be missed. Also some miles away is Mt. Lassen National Park and Burney Falls with is just beautiful. Just depends on how much time y'all have. There are some spots better than others at the RV Park (some can be a little close together when they are busy/full). If you want to email me (vickig46@sbcglobal.net) I will be glad to give you some suggestions.

Vicki
Jim n Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Sharon: Dance Country RV park is on Hwy 89, East of I-5 , just FYI
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi Carl (and Susan) and Vicki (and Jim) - Thanks for your quick responses. I also heard from Don Moore by email. We decided to stay in McCloud. We'll only be stopping for one night on our way northward, but should have enough time to see a little of the area - I remember driving through there during one of the MOC rallies - and get together with Don and Claudia. Vicki, thanks for the details about the RV park. We're looking forward to staying there.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Sharon and Bob - I was writing my post before I saw yours. Thanks for the endorsement!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Gypsy and Don, sorry you did not make contact while you were here. You could have stayed at the Henry RV resort and visited your family. Maybe next time.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Gypsy...Lived in Mt.Shasta for 25 years and are now full-timers...If you are only staying one night I would stay at the KOA if you can get in. Downtown is only 1/2 mile and if you like Mexican would highly recommed Casa Romas on the other end of town,Piemont or Strings for good italian. Have a great visit and you are going to find one day is not enough. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Dave & Teresa - Thanks for your suggestions. We appreciate everyone who responded.

We're parked in a nice spot at McCloud Dance Country RV Park. It's quiet and shady, and we have a clear view of the southern sky for the satellite dishes. Don Moore came over and we had a nice visit, but Claudia had to sit by the phone waiting for an important call. Sorry we missed seeing her.

Later, Don and I had dinner at Casa Ramos - Yumm! I remember some great MOC gatherings there. It was quieter this time. We drove around so Don could see the area a bit, and I showed him where the MOC rallies are held. The lake's beautiful, as is Mt. Shasta, of course. We'd love to stay longer, but we have friend/family commitments up the road. Maybe next time... It's sure a lot cooler here than in Redding!

Doug & Sharon - so sorry I forgot where you lived! We may see if the Henry RV Resort is available on our way south in October! Thanks for the reminder.