Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Mission Tire Failure

With around 15,000 miles on the tires, we had a Mission tire lose its tread on Monday. We were traveling west on I-40 between Ludlow and Barstow, California. 62 MPH with 75 PSI on-board. The right-rear tire decided to go away.

We were very lucky in that the only damage was to the support for the kitchen slideout cabling. A couple of zip-ties took care of that. We changed to the spare, eased on into Bakersfield and replaced all 4 ST235/80R16 E/Es from Big O Tires. An extra $650 (with full warrantee, including sidewall damage) that we had not budgeted for.

I was even more lucky that the D/W was driving. She felt and heard the tire giveway, while I did not. The tire retained its pressure but just threw its tread and I didn't hear it or feel it. I think I'll keep her around for another 30 years.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO 15K miles s a lot for a OEM (CAMPER) tire. We replaced our Missions at @ 10K although we had no failures.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Brad and Carol,

Sorry to learn of your tire problems. Glad it was not worse.

Good luck,

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
HAD 2 FAILURES IN LESS THAN 10,000 ON MISSIONS.
IF YOU ARE DRIVING ON MISSIONS, YOU ARE NOT SAFE.
MINE ARE IN THE TRASH.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Another similar Mission tire story but your tires did pretty good. The tire separation without a blowout is fortunate!

What replacement tire did you end up getting? How long in years/months did you have the tires? FYI - we use 80 lbs in our tires, but in our case, with our RV weight, we need to be at that number.

I am very familiar with that drive. I'm glad to hear you were westbound otherwise it could have been a long, lonely way to find help if you were going East.

Regarding your wife, if you can also get her to drive the whole next 30 years, too, now there's a keeper.

Happy trails on your "new shoes".
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
2 failures in 10,000 miles with Missions as well. Replaced tham all. Really bad tires.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
I'm in the middle of settling with TireCo, the west coast tire distributor for Mission tires. My left front Monty tire blew at 45mph - $4,600 in damage, plus $900 for 5 new Goodyear Marathon ST235/80/16's.

If you still have the tires (or the other remaining Mission tires) you can complete their paperwork and work to get a reimbursement from TireCo, and repayment of one's insurance deductible.

John in Wichita
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I must have gotten my Mission tires from the "Good Fairy"; we had ~18K miles on them, and when we changed them out, the tire dealer was surprised and asked why I would change a tire out that still had good tread and no visible broken sidewalls.

I told him it was because of the horror stories we had heard from our friends who owned them.

We feel a whole lot safer now.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL Robbie,

A Mission tire always looks real pretty right before it blows. In your case, your driving style may have helped your tires do well, but even I am impressed with the number of Mission tires linked to problems. It's about the numbers and the odds and right now.

I had not joined the MOC and was trying to get that last mile out of my Missions, after all, it was only 2.5 years and I didn't have that many miles on them and I used tire covers at home when it was in storage. But on a 425 mile trip in decent weather the left rear Mission experienced tire separation just as we were coming to a stop for a stretch-our-legs stop. Just minutes before my Bro-in-Law and his wife who were following were trying to decide it my tire was having a problem (they saw unusual wobble, but were to far back to tell for sure). When we came to a stop, it decided to flatten. How lucky we were. I replaced the spare, finished the last 100 miles, then immediately contacted a local tire store to replace ALL our tires. The tire store was familiar with the Mission history and didn't question our willingness to replace such good looking tires.

Yup Robbie, piece of mind is worth way more than the risk of practicing how to change a tire, which I am very good at, by the way.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

LOL Robbie,..................Yup Robbie, piece of mind is worth way more than the risk of practicing how to change a tire, which I am very good at, by the way.
Now that you know the experience and are good at changing tires, you are welcome to follow me anywhere; and if I'm lucky, you can show me all the tricks.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote