Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Washing machine - Important

It has been a standing joke among my friends about the new stackable washer and dryer we had installed in our Big Sky by our dealer in Florida.*** Long story but here goes anyway.Part of the deal we made when we bought our Big Sky was to have the dealer install a washer and dryer.**** I had always used the Splendite combo in our previous Monty but this time decided I wanted to go with the separate ones.*** Our dealer installed brand new stackable Majestic/Pennacle units and I was happy as a lark until I tried to use it the first night we were in a campground.** It filled with water, agitated for a long time and that was that.*** We brought it back to our dealer the next morning and left it there while we went to get something to eat.*** We weren't gone 20 min. before we got a call saying the washer worked fine.** Well we knew they couldn't have run it through a cycle in that short time but we we really needed to get back to our place in Silver Springs so we picked it up.*

** I have used it a few times since by manually turning the dials and changing cycles.** It never did rinse so I would wash a small load, spin the water out and then go back and wash without soap a couple more times to get them rinsed.*** grrrrr. We were in a hurry to leave Florida and get to Albuquerque for the Rally but along the way, we contacted Majestic and they were great.*** They told us to let them know when we got to Albuquerque and they would find a tech to fix it for us.** As soon as the rally was over we moved to another location and checked in for a week.** The tech was out of town and did not get to our place until a couple of days before we were to leave.**** We extended our stay even longer while he tried to find out what was wrong.*** He took the washer all apart and ran diagnostics with the people from Majestic.** Everything checked out just fine and he put the washer back together and with Bill's help, attached the dryer back on top..*** Yup, everything checked out but the washer still didn't work.*** It was decided that we needed a couple new parts but it would take some time to get them.**

* By this time we were more than ready to get out of Albuquerque so the people from Majestic told us they would send the parts to us in Denver and find another tech to put them in.*

* Let me stress that all this time the people from Majestic were great as was Dale from Dale's RV repair in Albuquerque.

I limped through a few more washes of just underwear and tee's and let the rest of the laundry stack up.*** One thing I had noticed was that the water going into the washer was pretty hot and I mentioned to Bill that I wonder if the cold water was turned on.** He sort'a laughed at me but when we brought it in yesterday to Camping World* (the only tech Majestic could find in the area) Bill told the boss man to check it out.***

This time we had to bring the Big Sky in as Camping World doesn't make house calls.** We dropped it off early in the morning and by 9:00 it was in the repair bin.*** We came back at 4:00 and they had just finished installing the parts and needed time to check it out.*** I told them that the washer drains directly into the sewer and got that [i]look like how dumb do you think we are[/i]?*
You gals all know what I mean. Well the place closes at 5:00 so everyone was scurrying around trying to get out of there when we overheard someone say that water was coming off our roof.*** NOT GOOD.*** Of course, we could not go anywhere near our Big Sky but the head guy went back to find out what was wrong.** He came back and said they were going to go dump our holding tanks.** We told them they were empty when we brought it in but again got that look.*** A little later, we saw our beautiful Big Sky go by with water running out our front door.*** The head guy said that once they drained the tanks it stopped coming off the roof so they proceeded to check out the washer again.*** Next we heard that there was a leak somewhere and we would have to leave it overnight.*** Oh no.** That is our house.*** We picked it up and are supposed to bring it back this morning.*** The head guy did say that the cold water was just barely turned on before and maybe that is where the leak is and our dealer just closed the valve to stop it.

Now for the most IMPORTANT part.

We returned to our beautiful spot at the foot of Rocky Mountain National Park and Bill hooked up the sewer and opened the main sewer valve.*** I tried a real short cycle on the washer and everything works just like it is supposed to.** No leaks or anything..

Summery:** I don't think there was ever anything wrong with the washer except that the cold water wasn't open.** I learned fifty years ago that you can't close one and have the machine work like it's suppose to.** There never was any leaks.** The service people just didn't hook up to sewer and there was no where else for the water to drain.

If you ever have work done on a washing machine in one of the newer Montana's, be sure you are hooked up to sewer and the main line is open.*** It does not drain into any holding tanks.** Of course that means you can not do laundry if you are not at a FHU site either.

Today we will return to Camping World without the Big Sky to see what they are going to do about the big gouges they put in the door jamb and pick up the molding they left off yesterday.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Good catch on that cold water Helen, that is quite the war, errr, wash story!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Are you talking about the valve being closed where you hook the hose up to?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Helen,

WOW is about all I can say. Glad to hear that your washer is finally fixed. Sorry to find out they damaged that new Big Sky in the process. Hope CW steps up and takes care of the damage they caused.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
For cryin' out loud, Helen. And, yes, I think every woman in the world knows "that look". I think I've gotten it a few times over the years. I'm glad you figured the problem out, and I really hope CW makes you whole.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
On my '09 Montana 3605RL the W/D space is in the front cap space, next to the "walk-in" closet, and the washer drain pipe tees into the shower drain riser, and thus empties into the grey water tank. So, you cannot assume that all the newer Montana's washer drains are piped directly to the main dump pipe downstream of all holding tanks. You have to get in there and look for yourself to make sure where yours is draining to.

It may be that all of the models that have the W/D space outside of the bedroom area, and located down in the main living area, are plumbed to the main dump pipe, but I have no personal experience looking at those model's plumbing, so I can't say for sure if this is the case.

All that I am sure about is that mine does drain into the grey water holding tank.

I know this because I have gone behind basement wall to disconnect the water supply lines to the W/D to avoid the funky taste/smell that comes from long term non-use of these lines, as we do not have a W/D. Simple to do this, and avoid the problem altogether. Also it eliminates the need of winterizing that portion of the water system.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Our 2008 3400RL was a center set up just as you come in the door. It was plumbed directly to the 3" drain as it should be. Yes, you must have your slinky hooked up and ready to drain before you wash. I now have one plumbed into the Gray holding tank, and hate it!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
KTManiac, I agree that not all models are set up this way. It may be only the ones that are in the entry door closet but I would rather have everyone paranoid enough to find out where their's drain than to go through what we did.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
First: Adelmoll (Helen) - sure hope CW comes through and either fixes or reimburses you for the damage done to your new coach, and hope you all have no more surprises with that beautiful rig.

All: There are some (our unit for one ---granted on a SOB) where the washer was originally plumbed into the Black holding tank! During our PDI we were informed, and reminded in writing, that the washer was plumbed to the galley's separate tank and that we had to have the galley tank valve open when washing clothes. We didn't test it during our overnight test run, but did once we got the unit home (700 plus miles away from the selling dealer). In any case, opened the galley valve, washed a load of clothes, no problem noticed. Test washed a second load of clothes - again, no problem noticed. Well, I was putting everything away and the wife asked me why the toilet was full of water?? Huh I remember asking. I checked the guage and it said galley and gray empty, black 100%. We had dumped and flushed that tank in Albuquerque before leaving. So I hooked up all the hoses again, dumped the black tank and we ran another load of wash. Black tank filling up again. So now we know.

I called the dealership and was told that couldn't be. I then called the factory and spoke to their warranty office and they said that it was true - that they plumbed to the nearest tank. I've since had it changed to the galley tank as I felt it a health issue (whether it is or not is immaterial at this point) but I've read of many others who have found theirs plumbed to the black tank, here on the MOC as well as other forums.

Sorry for the long post -- I do get long winded at times.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Oh Helen, that is really depressing to read. Hope everything works out.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote