Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Tires Blow Out Side Wall

I have searched and searched and finally posted.
I had tires replaced a year ago Feb because I had splitting and buldge in the area of the tire bead.
They replaced them with Laramie LT 235R8516 load range E.
Well going back from NH to AZ blew the sidewall out 80 miles from winter home, left rear.
Replaced the tire with a Cooper as Cooper makes Laramie.
Well 20 miles from NH home, on Wednesday, blew another again on the sidewall right front.
Tire pressure is not an issue, checked each day.
Checked and have another tire with the same problem, a split and bulge at the tire bead on rim.
Can anyone help with what maybe causing the problem, tires, rims, or what.
Before I buy new tires and have it happen again.
Thanks,
E. Sven

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Boy, that makes me think that the tires may have been "on the shelf" a long time. I'm sure you know that the life of the tire begins on the date of manufacture and its life is 5 to 7 years max. I change mine at 4 to 5 years. I'm not familiar with the Laramie tires but I do remember that my rig came in 2000 with Cooper tires on it and they all bulged and I had blowouts. I now have Bridgestone Duravis tires, the same size as yours.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
[Today, with the added muscle of Treadways' support and stability, Laramie remains the premier dealer-oriented tire brand on the market. And we're poised for even greater growth in the future.]

That is from the Laramie website. Are you sure they are made by Cooper? I see nothing on Cooper's website about Laramie being a tire line or associate of Cooper. I'm thinking an inferior brand of tire.

http://www.tiredefects.com/private-l...rand-tires.cfm This site says they are manufactured by Kelly.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Boy am I glad this thread came along. I have Cooper SRM IIs. LT 235/85R16s. I have been pleased with them. They are about 1 year old were made in 08 a couple of months before I bought them. Well I just went out and did a quick check for cracks. One of the tires (right rear) has a crack about 1 1/2" long on the side wall near the where the tread pattern starts. The other three tires appear to not have cracks. The tire that is cracked sits in the shade when parked at home.

Now might be a good time for everyone to check your tires for cracks. This tire was almost new.

Thanks for the post carlson. You have probably saved me some costly trouble at an inopportune time. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Laramie tires are a USA brand out of Pennsylvania. They make the performer RV tire. Cooper has 5 plants in the USA and one in he UK..They make tires in China under the Chengshin,Shabdong brand and the Kenda brand. We have those very same cooper tires you mention Jolu on our 3400 that are a bit over 1 year old and look like new. Of course we had no problems with our OEM Mission tires..

In fact here is some good data from the laramie website

http://www.laramietire.com/abcs/utqg.htm

Kelly tire mentioned above is also a USA made . Started out right her in Akron, Ohio and has been owned By Goodyear for many years.,

Tangled web insn't it???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
How about speed of travel? I see RV tires rated for maximum of 65mph. I imagine sustained speeds over time will cause a tire to fail but I don't know in what manner. But with the newness of these tires, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Not that it implies to anyone here in this post, I have seen plenty of towed trailers blow by me at sustained speeds. We need to get the word out for owners to verify the rated speed of their tires and keep under it.

How unfortunate some of these posts are for problems with Laramie/Cooper tires. I have never heard these brands connected with poor quality. I wonder if it was a bad lot. I wonder how many have these and don't have any problems. If we wait long enough on this topic, I hope we hear of good experiences with these tires and dont find they are "mis-branded Missions".

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Our driving style is 62 to 65 mph, let the traffic go by.
I have had the same problem original and replacement tires.
If someone could post a picture for me, give me a e-mail and I can forward a picture of what the tires are doing.
Now the tires were left rear and front right.
Was a side wall blow out, not a tread separation, so minimal damage.
First tires about 7,000 miles on it, second about 10,000.
Put on about 8,000 per year
Thanks
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
E. Sven - have you had your rig weighed? - perhaps you are over weight and need to go up to a heavier rated tire.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Update on my Cooper SRM II tire that I thought had a crack. It does look like a dry rot crack. However my tire dealer took a look at the tire and determined it was a slight tear in the outer skin maybe from a rock or whatever. He thought it was safe to use it as is. I decided to replace the tire. He treated me right on replacement cost for a Cooper SRM. He did say they have not had any problems with the Cooper SRMs. They are a commercial tire.
The SRMs do wear well. Very little sigh of wear so far with about 6500 miles on the tires. I don't trust any tire that has cracks or cuts in the side walls. My policy is to replace them.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote