Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Do you find yourself ...

I'm sure you've all noticed an acceleration in say the past 5 years of things you've relied on have changed manufacturers, quality, outward appearance, or have just disappeared from the store shelves. To that end ... do you find yourself buying one of two more of the old standbys than you need so when the original wears out ... you still have another of equal quality instead of some version way crappier? I fear I'm becoming a mini hoarder of brand new power tools and even Christmas decorations because a given model or design simply isn't manufactured for more than 2-3 years running. Certain appliances, fans, heaters, and garden tools fall under the same suspicions. Try buying a hand scythe to cut weeds out of yard décor ... a weed eater doesn't work for absolutely everything. I was told at two stores the scythe was just too dangerous to sell anymore ?????

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
It seems to me EVERYTHING is just a throw away model any more. I can remember when you bought something if it quit or broke you could get parts to fix it and get it running again.
You and I and a hand full of others are on the way out, buying something because its made good and built to last, now its just go buy another piece of plastic junk as like you say is worse than the one you threw away.
But my wife tells me I'm supposed to change with the times..... I'm just not good with change I guess.... especially when the change seems to be going the wrong way
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
totally agree with quality comments.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
bowlesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18569
Absolutely true. That goes as far as toothbrushes, dental floss, WiFi routers, etc. and then I buy too much like caulk which has a shelf life. Geeez.

John
3820fk
bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I agree!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
We live in a throw away society where everything has a built in obsolescence.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
It seems to me quality is much better than it used to be. A car today is just getting broken in at 200K miles, my mid 60s Fairlane was done at 100K. What we have today is a lot more choice for any product and some of that choice is lower end and less expensive. When I was younger I made my living working on cars in a Ford dealer and really valued quality tools most of which I still have. I am also willing to go to Harbor Freight and buy something low end that I will only use once for a special job. I am also willing the throw it away knowing there is some chance I may need to buy it again in the future as I hate clutter.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nothing is like is was years ago.Electronics in most cases is more expensive to repair than to throw it away and get a new one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Part of the problem is us. When you see the word improved you need to ask, for who? Usually it not for you it’s for the manufacturer.
When most people go to buy something they are looking for two things the cheapest with the most bells and whistles. What the product is like under the skin doesn’t matter. They can’t see that. Thake for instance a washing machine. Which is most people going to buy, the one with the best gear box or the most wash cycles that will never be used.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
AZ Traveler ... while I agree on your automobile example ... I guess you and I don't live on the same planet for everyday household items and tools of the trade. Virtually nothing is made to last anymore nor in many cases have total parts replacement capability. Companies would not survive in today's world if they made quality items that lasted for years. Like you, I've spun wrenches for 45+ years and still have my original wrenches and tools ... you can't buy that quality anymore even from Snap-on, Craftsman, Matco ... because it's all made overseas just branded differently. We've been slowly brainwashed over the years to accept "throw away and buy again logic" ... I'll defy that logic to the end.
I'll restate my original post intent ... I'll seek out another certain tool or house hold item I currently have and buy just because I know 2 years down the road what I would have to buy is going to be cheap and have an even shorter lifespan.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Lynwood,
Consumers are the winner in this competitive world we live in and its the consumer that has driven companies to make the products they are selling. It is just that we are in the minority when it comes to consumer desires. I am happy to drive my car for 300K miles where my wife is looking for something new after 7-8 years even though her car is still like brand new. Most things outlast the average consumers desire to keep them particularly when they buy a base model.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
dieselguy,
The world is certainly changing around us. I do believe you can buy quality tools although as I have gotten older I do not tend to wear them out as fast. I often tend to take the reverse tact and hold off buying something new knowing something even better will soon be available particularly if there are electronics involved. Hope you have a great Christmas - I was not trying to start an argument on this but simply show a different point of view.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Ya know me ... I'll always agree to disagree ... have a Merry Christmas as well.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #14
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Grandpa said “buy a Good tool Once”!
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
today you just buy the module and plug it in, put the old in the recycle bin, no tools needed

Ok, Ok, Just Joking, there are no modules on our Allis Chalmers D-14, just nuts and bolts.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I am with the original poster big time on this one!

One of my pet peeves is the cordless power tools. You buy a cordless screwdriver for 75 and when you go to buy a replacement or spare battery it costs 50. Then in 2 to 3 years they come out with another version that uses a different type battery and before long the old style batteries are unavailable.

Thankfully at least one brand has caught on to how frustrating this is and is changing their ways I only buy Ryobi now. Not because it is the best made (it isn't by any means) but because Ryobi has made the commitment that all their new style batteries will fit their old products and the charges will charge any version of their battery! Hopefully this will pressure the rest of the manufactures to do the same!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #17
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I am totally with you on Ryobi!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been converting over to the battery powers tools for some time battery technology has improved and we are not tethered to a wall plug anymore.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A few, 25 years ago a friend invented a valve for a blood pressure cuff and I made 2000 for him. We had it patented he gave me half half of it. We took it to numerous doctors and nurses, hospitals and to the Medical College of Virginia. Everybody that used it agreed it was superior in every way to the ones being used then and now. It would last millions of times but more importantly it allowed the air to bleed off exactly the same speed every time and required no training.
So why haven’t you ever seen one? Stupid us! It was too good. It would last too long. We took it to the biggest manufacturers of medical equipment. They were not interested. Why should they be. They sell millions of their valves each year. They are going to mess that up, no way. And a salesman who has 5 minutes with a doctor isn’t going to waste his time with a $15 product. We kept the patent open for a few years at a cost of several thousand dollars and then let it expire.
There are a lot of reasons products aren’t as good as they could be. This is just one of those.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #20
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Depends what it is, some is better quality now and some is not.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote