Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #41
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
I agree with those that recommend residential refers over rv refers for all the reasons stated. It's interesting that a residential refer typically costs about 1/2 of a rv refer yet when you purchase a new Montana the model with a residential refer costs more than the one with an rv refer. Makes no sense!

topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #42
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
It's interesting that a residential refer typically costs about 1/2 of a rv refer yet when you purchase a new Montana the model with a residential refer costs more than the one with an rv refer. Makes no sense!
Some of that cost has to be the inverter and wiring. Any other costs must be the bean counter looking for more profit.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #43
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Some of that cost has to be the inverter and wiring. Any other costs must be the bean counter looking for more profit.
I think the latter is probably accurate.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #44
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
Think about it. The unit inside your home never as ambient air temps above probably 75 degrees or below 65. The one in an RV will experience temps far above and below that. Look at the specs on one, and find what the max. and min. operating temps are. Doesn't matter if you boondock or not, the inside of your rig will get hot and cold all the time. That, along with how much we dry camp is why we're happy with an RV one.
My parents and sister have both had refrigerators in their garages that have worked for years. Usually after having been used INSIDE the house for years. I don't believe ambient air temps have a thing to do with it.

I have had several RV techs tell me that RV refrigerators don't do well in cooler weather. And, they don't do well if they are full. I had problems with the one in our Big Sky when we were full-timing in it. The one trip we took after it just became our "camper" it worked fine. Maybe it just needed to be bounced down the road more often . . .
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote