Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
TexasBill
Established Member

M.O.C. #18642
Send a message via AIM to TexasBill
King Jack HD antenna

Has anyone installed a King Jack HD antenna on their Monty? I am talking about that one that is about 12" tall not the add on to the existing antenna rod. How hard of job was it to do?

TexasBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I installed one a year ago and it was not a big deal. If I remember right you need to enlarge the hole through the roof a little bit. I think it needs to be 1-1/8" or so. I think they make a adapter plate for this that will use the same bolt pattern as the batwing Winguard.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:19 AM   #3
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have been going back and forth. I had my MH back at the dealer for a minor water leak and asked them to slap a King Jack on while it was there. The service manager said they could but cautioned me that they had been having some MH owners come in and having their OEM King Jacks replaced with crank up batwings. He claimed they were not getting as good of reception.

I passed on the install but then on our recent trip south I talked to a couple campers with the King Jack HD's and they were getting more local channels than me. I have pretty much decided that service manager was crazy.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I put the Jack antenna on the mast of the batwing when I got the newer unit and I swear by it. All I had to do is pull the pin that hold the batwing to the crank-up mast take the coax off the batwing, put the new Jack antenna on the mast, reinstall the pin to hold the Jack on and reconnect the coax to the Jack and all was done. Took about 10 minutes at the most. In most campgrounds and out in the boonies when others are receiving from 5-10 channels, we're getting 15-20+. Of course some are duplicate channels because it's pulling in different broadcasting locations but the Jack is great. I've also gone to the FCC site for broadcasting channels or stations and locate the strongest signals for very best reception. I'm installing a signal meter also that I won at a rally two years ago and that should also eliminate a lot of guess work for finding strong channels.

One of the sessions at the Fall Rally this year had one of the new antennas like the King Jack main body ones and rotated from inside like the OEM mast batwings. They said they pull in just an many channel, if not more,as the regular Jack's that attach to the mast. They gave us one for the Raffle table but it was the one that attaches to the mast. Don't remember who won it but maybe they have installed it and can give us a report if they see this post.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
pjstaffieri@gmail.com

M.O.C. #19480
We are looking at this now but our potential installer said the arch of the roof may be a problem and the plate you attach to the roof my be to close to the edge of the roof. Anyone have recent experience here
pjstaffieri@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote