Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
Rest Stops

I will be heading to Central PA tommorow. The question I have is how long can you stop at a rest area and catch some shut eye in your rig (In PA or New York along 84) before you will get haseled by the authorities. This is my first time trying this. I plan to leave late afternoon from Maine and would like to stop around midnight for a few hours. Hit the road again around five. Has anyone else done this without incident.

mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I've stayed in rest areas in PA with no hassle from the authorities.What you will find is that all rest area will be filled with truckers sleeping overnight. Many time I have not been able to get into the rest area as it's completely full. Don't forget you can also use the Flying J as a stop over place to spend the night.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
You might want to think about WalMart. Most of them are good about letting you pull onto their lots as long as you park away from the building.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Most of the rest stops out west have an 8 hour limit per day. I have stayed a few nites in them with no trouble. The Flying J is a better place if it is an option as you have a place to eat, sleep, and wash up for the next days drive.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you leave your slides in and your truck hooked up you should never have trouble with authorities overnight. That's what the reststops are for.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:18 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rest stops in many states have time limits posted, I think Ohio, 2 hours?? Someone can correct me on that,

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
In Florida we have found most rest areas full by 9-10 in the evening. It has steadily gotten worse and just recently on a trip between Florida and NC we were not able to find a rest area to stop in let alone even enter one; there were just so many vehicles. We have used WalMart parking lots and have never had a problem. Many of the WalMart stores are located along or very close to the Interstate down south (I-95 and I-75) and are easy to get to. We use the laptop to find them when we need one to stay at while traveling. In Florida, there are several counties and or towns that do not allow you to even park an RV in the lot (Merritt Island good example) for shopping let alone staying any extended period of time. Travel America and Flying J Plazas are good places to stop at too. When we have been able to stop and stay at a rest area we have not been bothered by the authorities. However, I was parked sleeping in a rest area in Delaware (solo no trailer just truck) and was woke up by a trooper and told to move on. I was there only a few hours.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote