Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Southern bugs are MEAN!

OK, maybe some of our southern MOC members can help us with this one.

When we were running hard back from Mississippi to Michigan cause Al's mom was ill we got into a pacel of bugs. Some nasty ones!

When we got around to trying to get them off this AM, we find there are streaks and slightly pink stains.

Have tried a number of cleaners. So far, the bug bodies are gone, but the stains and streaks are not.

So, anyone got suggestions?? What might take these ickies off the gel coat without ruining the finish??

Thanks

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, just how fast were you running to get home? Sounds like blood. Are you sure it was bugs?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
HA HA, Steve

YEA, pretty sure they were bugs, they were NOT road kill, like coons or anything. This is only on the front nose of Montana (you know, where our pretty decals are!)

We were running hard, 350 plus miles per day, which for us is hard. He was letting me drive half the time, does that tell you how hard?? He LOVES to drive, I have had the worst time prying the steering wheel out of his tightly gripped fingers for 2 years! HAHA! One day, drove 8 AM till after 5 PM, and only stopped for gas and one meal, at a Flying J, which of course, was a buffeet, quick meal.

Carol
Old 04-18-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Carol, have you tried the Bounce dryer sheets? I read that they are supposed to be good for removing bugs but don't know about the stain. You weren't very nice to our southern bugs.....
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:29 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glen, we tried the dryer sheets before and we found them to be rather ineffective, although we had heard good reports. Hmmm, maybe we were doing something wrong.

The bugs came off ok, or what was left of them, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. First we sprayed the nose with a lot of water, several times, trying to soften up the situation. Then a bucket of hot water and Simple Green, most of the debris came off. Then we tried a lot of stuff (so many I cannot even remember, Protectal, Krud Kutter and MORE) and nothing worked on the stains. Then I went in and got more hot water and Dawn. That got some more debris off, but really did nothing for the stains.

So, for now, the stains are there, the dead bodies, ewwwwww, are gone!

Sorry bout taking your bugs home with us, I can promise you, we would have rather LEFT them for ya! I was looking at a photo last night, we took on the Natchez Trail, and thinking back, there were a number of bugs then, BUT, we really picked em up the last 2 days. That would have been Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio. So, maybe they ain't all southern bugs???

Carol
Old 04-18-2005, 03:57 AM   #6
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Oh, I sure hope they're northern bugs, Carol. I sure would miss having bugs here in the South. Hee, hee! Judy
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Carol,
I was just watching the local news here in Atlanta where they are reporting a sudden decrease in the bug population here in the south. Apparently, some time in the last week a mysterious vehicle was spotted on the Natchez Trace which was covered with bug carcasses and was reportedly leaving a trail of bug destruction behind it.

According to the report, "Scientists are at a loss as to what drew the bugs to this mysterious vehicle, but are following the trail of dead and dying bugs which appears to have started in Mississippi, spanned Tennessee and Kentucky and so far has led them across the stateline into Ohio. They expect to be able to trace this mysterious vehicle by the stains left by the crushed and disemboweled insects."

It is also reported that, "The Federal Environmental Protection Agency along with the affected states Environmental Protection Departments are persuing this case with all available resources. As you can imagine the Sierra Club, PITB (people for the ethical treatment of bugs), the Green Party and other ecology minded individuals are up in arms. (Well they would be if they believed it was OK to bear arms.)"

In a late breaking report, "Police are now searching for a large vehicle reported to be towed by a large truck - here is a description:

2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Anyone seeing a vehicle matching this description is requested to call 1-800-STOP-BUG-KILL. Do not approach this vehicle as it is already believed to be responsible for the deaths of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of bugs."

An even later report states, "Apparently the mysterious vehicle involved in the deaths of numerous bugs has been deliberately and deviously detailed with what one witness described as, "A mountain scene with blue and green mountains, flowing streams and a sunset." "Authorities believe that southern bugs are particualarly susceptible to this kind of subterfuge as they are seeking to get away from the searing heat that is expected in the south later this summer."

Authorities have also issued a notice, "That a person or persons unknown may have attempted to remove any evidence of the bug kill from the mysterious towed vhehicle. A break in the case may come as a result of genetic engineering that was recently done to several bug species in order to crack down on widespread bug kills. The genetically engineered bugs leave behind stains that are impervious to any cleaner known to mankind. Authorities believe this may be the undoing of the perpetrators in this tragic case."

Well, after seeing these reports you cannot imagine how sorry I was to read your post. As a fellow MOCer my loyalties to the club and my duties as a citizen are diametrically opposed. What am I to do? My love of this great country is driving me to a decision that is very painful. Wait, what's that crawling up the wall? -- (SPLAT!!) Oh, where was I???
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 AM   #8
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Country Guy; Me thinks those might have been 'Lovebugs'. If so, you'll want to wash out your radiator and cooling coils from the inside and soon or you'll overheat. When I lived in FL I sprayed the front of my trucks with Pam. Seemed to help a little. Getting them off; elbow grease.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:13 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ah, yes, Lamar, another MOCers with far too much time on his hands. Enjoyed your news bulletin immensely.

You could be right, Bob. Those lovebugs are one of our southern pleasures, one that made me vow to never visit my sister in Mississippi in the spring. One visited me in the truck in Tallahassee just yesterday. I needed to get outta there quick!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:55 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
fulltimedreamer

you will have to await a response from countryguy and his misses, while we pick ourselves OFF the floor! OUCH, my sides hurt, did someone hit me below the belt?? NOOO, it was all that howling and laughing and smirking and grinning!

Personally, me thinks you got too much time on your hands! If anyone ever puts together a "Classics from the MOC Forum" book, this is a MUST include!

Bob, Al cleaned the front of the truck yesterday, it was not pretty! The mess nor the time involved in getting it clean!

OK, we have had a lot of fun at my expense, but I still got those stains, and am still hoping for an answer!

Carol

I'll be back on the forum after a trip to the potty room, all this laughing--------------------
Old 04-19-2005, 04:35 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
AND NOW SHE COMES BACK AND EDITS IT FOR FULL EFFECT!

My sides hurt enough already! HA HA HA

Carol
Old 04-19-2005, 06:41 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20

Ohhhh, fulltimedreamer! I haven't rolled in laughter so hard in a very long time! I had to interrupt what Vicki was doing to read her your post in its entirety. That was really hilarious!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:28 AM   #13
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I use full timer's rv black streak remover...available at walmart. works great! works better than anything I've ever used.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
OMG!!! WAY, WAY too much time on the hands.

That was GREAT! Most appreciated!

Best Regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:07 AM   #15
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
(Snort)

I wish we had a chance to go out and kill a few bugs..... er, I mean to travel around the country right about now

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #16
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Try "Greased Lightning". Cut it about half & half with water in a garden sprayer. If that don't do the job, try full strength. Leaved on about 2 minutes and wash off with water hose. It will also remove any wax you have on the rig. Available at Wally in the household cleaners in a white plastic bottle with a black & yellow lable.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
palebluedot,

that is one we have NOT tried, and, oh, I have to go to Wally tomorrow! Will get some and give it a try, but, it might have to wait till next week.

They are predicting a possible accumulation of WHITE STUFF, aka SNOW, for Saturday. OUICHHHHHH!

Thanks!

Carol
Old 04-28-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Carol,
I'm still wondering if you have been able to get those "genetically altered" Southern Bug entrials off your coach? If so, what finally worked?
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:48 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
fulltimedreamer and palebluedot,

I got some of the Greased Lightening. I believe that is working. Trouble is, Al is not here, and even with the ladder (I can only go to the 3rd rung, then FEAR takes over), I canot get high enough to reach more than the bottom of the nose cone! I managed to get part of one of the streaks, and I do believe it is gone, sun was shinging in my eyes, maybe I was blinded?? HAHA.

The Greased Lightening is waiting for Al's return, then we shall see.

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for asking.

Carol
Old 04-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, how is Al's mother doing?