Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Duramax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19941
Which satellite to buy?

I have dish network service at home. I see there are a few different automatic satellites? Anybody have a preference?

Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
I have dish network service at home. I see there are a few different automatic satellites? Anybody have a preference?
Dish will give you hd. Direct will give sd. In order to get direct tv in hd you must either carry a direct antenna or install an expensive antenna on the rv.. we are using dish with the pathway x1 and vip211z receivers.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Travler Dish was the way to go for us. We also have Dish at S&B. Pay as you Go works for us with two vip211z's. Will change those out for Hopper3 and two 4k joey's. We haven't run into situations yet where we haven't had a clear line to the satellite orbits so haven't had the need to have a portable tripod setup with another dish.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Duramax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19941
Can a guy have sat tv in bedroom an living room off same reciever? I understand it would be the same channel as living room. Just wondering if that's possible or do I need 2 receivers?
Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have Dish with 2 Tailgaters. One mounted on the roof one portable. If I can't get a clear signal I can use the portable one. I like the Dish Tailgater setup, turn it on choose your state hit the scan button, done watch TV in a few minutes. That is all there is to do.
I have the Dish Pointer app to check to see if I have a clear view of the satellites. Works great.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
I have and recommend the Winegard Pathway X2 carry out along with the optional tripod stand. It automatically finds and toggles between DISH satellites from Eastern Arc (61.5 deg, 72.7 deg) or Western Arc satellites orbitals (110 deg, 119 deg, 129 deg). It also has two cable outlets for two receivers.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I recently got the X2 carry out because it only requires one cord (co-ax). The drawback from what I can figure is length of coax. It works fine on a 25 ft coax, but not on the 50 ft. The recommend max length is 50. However, I figured out that from the convenience area back to the tv wall plug is probably another 25-30 feet. So in a couple of days, I am drilling a hole thru the wall to install an external plug right behind the TV and I am pretty sure that will work. Someone mentioned they had a tailgater, I think and ran 75 or 100 foot cable, but I think those require a 'power inserter'. He said he just limits it to 25 feet from inserter to satellite.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #8
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I recently got the X2 carry out because it only requires one cord (co-ax). The drawback from what I can figure is length of coax. It works fine on a 25 ft coax, but not on the 50 ft. The recommend max length is 50. However, I figured out that from the convenience area back to the tv wall plug is probably another 25-30 feet. So in a couple of days, I am drilling a hole thru the wall to install an external plug right behind the TV and I am pretty sure that will work. Someone mentioned they had a tailgater, I think and ran 75 or 100 foot cable, but I think those require a 'power inserter'. He said he just limits it to 25 feet from inserter to satellite.
Yes, you only need to run one cable but it gives you the capability of two if you have two receivers. Also, most units do not have both western and eastern capabilities like the X2. I'm surprised you couldn't get it to work at 50 ft. I actually ran mine originally at 100 ft. I ran it the full length of the 39 ft. coach, then up a tree and over to another tree, then down to my picnic area. I did get it working at that distance although the specs say you can't, but admittedly it took longer to find the signal. I'm positive that 50 ft. will work unless you have obstructions. I now use it with only a 25 ft. cable and it finds the signal in no time.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Can a guy have sat tv in bedroom an living room off same reciever? I understand it would be the same channel as living room. Just wondering if that's possible or do I need 2 receivers?
They cannot be "mirrored" that I know of...I could be wrong....but I don't think so....anyone know?
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
Simpson9508
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13509
Quote:
With our 3790 I am using a VIP 211 receiver. I was able to rig it so I can watch the same satellite channel in the bedroom. I bought a coax splitter that is able to send signals in both directions. (Not a cheap big box store splitter)BAMF 2-Way Coax Cable Splitter Bi-Directional MoCA 5-2300MHz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0113JAN8K..._IWjnzbR8Q13VG
Behind the living room tv I disconnected the coax from the wallplate marked CABLE. I connected a 1 ft piece of coaxmto that connection. Then the splitter. I reconnected the coax that was connected to the wallplate to one side of the splitter. I connected another piece of coax to other side of splitter and to the OUT connection on the back of my receiver. I set the switch on back of receiver for channel 3. What this is doing is back feeding the satellite signal into the tt cable tv feed. I then set up bedroom tv to watch cable and when I tune the tv to channel 3 I am picking up the signal from the satellite receiver. I also bought a repeater and extra dish remote so I can change the channels on the satellite receiver from the bedroom.
Simpson9508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I agree with fireguy "Dish Travler" is how we did it. Camping World has sales a couple of times a year where you can get either Direct or Dish system as a big discount. I like to get the unit plugged in and then turn on my Dish and by the time I get everything ready for camping I have Dish network with my local channels. I use two 211's and yes you can watch two different channels at once. I only have the bed room and the living room hooked up at this time.

Tom Marty
Old 06-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #12
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
If you are already a Dish customer, it is a no brainer to stick with Dish for your RV. We have two Tailgaters, love them.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:22 AM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
You can call me adventurous or you can call me cheap. I prefer to use my Dish Network 1000.2 dish with an EA Hybrid LNB mounted on a flat top surveyor's tripod feeding a new Hopper3 receiver. I used to enjoy the challenge of setting up each time we made camp but I have done it so many times now that it only takes about 10 minutes or 5 minutes if I open my eyes. On the rare occasion I can't "hit" the EA birds I change the LNB to my WA Hybrid LNB. With the 2 LNBs available I can ALWAYS find signal and receive everything Dish has to offer.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #14
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I use the Pathway X2 with 2 coax to 2 Z211 recvrs. Only issue is that the Pathway is a small dish that can only see 2 of the 3 Dish Satellites at one time. The master receiver controls the satellites. The slave or other receiver can tune other channels as long as they come from the 2 satellites selected by the master receiver. It took me forever to drag this info out of a Dish rep. Anyway--it works for us!
A larger satellite antenna is required to lock in all 3 satellites--I used to do that but quite after getting the auto setup on the X2.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote