Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Loose tire a com'n.

This was the view out my windshield on Saturday. Running light with a small load of mulch on my little trailer. End result......had to have truck towed because it was loosing coolant. 1167 miles and it's crashed already. The 19 year old kid in the black Chevy had just put on those monster tires and 'wheel spacers'. Guess he forgot to tighten the lugs.
Very glad to have had the dash cam. Will never ride without one. Was on the phone today with his insurance and sent the claims adjuster a 30 second clip. He sure changed his attitude when he saw it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash cam screen shot.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	148  

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

Your dash cam gives far more information than the one I use. If you don`t mind can you tell us what brand it is.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
It's made by Cobra Electronics. Same outfit that makes the CB radios. Mine is a model CDR-830 but it's no longer made. It's been superseded by newer, more up to date models. They even have one now with a second, rear viewing camera.
If you buy a Cobra you can then download the software that can read the GPS info and the recorded speed, G-forces and other info. Or you can play just the video on most computer video players like Windows Media Player. Check it out here:

http://www.cobra.com/products/dash-cams

I'm sure there are lots of other good dash cams out there with all the bell and whistles. I just happened to find the Cobra on sale when I was looking for one. I also have a Magellan GPS with a dash cam built into it. But it's not practical since the camera must be pointed straight out the window I like the GPS turned facing me. That points the camera out the passenger side of the windshield, not forward like it should be. But whatever floats your boat
Old 04-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad you're ok. Several folks have been seriously injured that way.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
I've just started using a Viofo A119 dashcam. These are one of the highest rated sub $100 dash cams currently. The optional GPS mount is about $15. With it the speed and location as well as date and time are directly recorded and visible when viewing the recording with a standard video player. Overall, the A119 seems like a good value in the $100 range.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Dave, I originally bought the dash cam on a whim, "another toy" my wife said. But in the three years since I got it we've recorded a few strange things and it's been fun to show them to others. But then I saw some You Tube videos (go to YouTube and search 'crash'. Amazing stuff) and figured maybe this is more than a toy. Now this. And it shows everything exactly as it happened. The video clarifies anything I report and ensures the other guy cannot dispute what happened. I love this thing.
My next move is to continue using this dash cam but also rig my GoPro in the rear window of my Monty to look out the back while traveling. It will not give me a real time view but if anyone hits my back end I will have it on video
Old 04-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Here's a short video of this incident.

https://youtu.be/1KkUa1CN4dI
Old 04-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We had a dash cam but it interfered with the key fobs (they did not work most of the time) and it also made the tire pressure monitor give us fault messages. Once we took the dash cam out these problems stopped happening.

We cannot figure out how that could happen. The dash cam was plugged into the 12 volt outlet. We searched the problem online but could not find much on it.

Has anyone come across this?

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Wow, that's strange. Sorry it didn't work for you. I believe the advandtages presented by the dash cam are great, but if it was causing those issues I can see why you got rid of it.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
If we found one that wouldn't do that, we would get one.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:45 PM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
That video reminds me of an old Kenny Rogers song. "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel..." LOL

Mark
Old 05-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #12
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Good point Mark. Timing is everything. That truck was the first vehicle on that road for over a mile and that tire picked that exact moment to cut loose. Five seconds either way and it would have missed me completely.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Because of this story and video I ordered a dash cam and it will be here and installed today.
Thanks for the heads up.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one for the Truck however the video is generally not acceptable in court but as described can have a effect.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #15
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
Wayne, which camera did you go with? Let me know how you like it. I'm still looking.
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #16
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I went with the Viofo A119 dashcam. I like the GPS monitoring. But I get it today and will let you know how I like it. Got it on Amazon.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Wayne,
Though I am not familiar with that one someone else mentioned it and they liked it. The GPS function is nice, especially since it logs your speed. Of course, if you are exceeding the speed limit it will log that too!
Mine has the GPS function. And since this incident I have purchased another dash cam. Now all three of my vehicle have them.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #18
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yes I also thought of the speed thing. But I very seldom speed never over 5 to 7 above the limit. Tell me where did you place the cam?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #19
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Wow, dealing with insurance companies can be a real pain.

Since this was 100% the other guys fault I filed a claim with his insurer. Thank heaven I had that dash cam video. The adjuster changed his tune after seeing it. But even then, their appraiser listed a ton of after market parts to be used on my brand new truck. These included the bumper, radiator, fan, A/C condenser, engine oil cooler and numerous other minor parts (clips, brackets, etc.) I flipped, told them that the truck has 1174 miles on it and I will NOT settle for anything that is not NEW, FORD parts. Basically they told me to "go pound salt". I met with the body shop and told them absolutely NO aftermarket stuff. They agreed.
​​​​​​​
I then met with my own insurance company, explained the entire situation. The lady said "give me a couple hours, I'll make some calls". One hour, 37 minutes later she called stating "we're taking over this claim. We will use ONLY new, genuine Ford parts throughout. And we will deal with the other guy's insurance company. Only thing I have to pay is $50 deductible which I should get back after the two companies settle."
It pays to have a good insurance company behind you. I could find cheaper insurance but I am a firm believe.....you get what you pay for.

My major concern in this was using non-Ford products while still under warranty. For example, the bumper may be light gauge metal which in a future crash may or may not trigger the air bag sensor correctly. Or the oil cooler might have slightly smaller tubing, restricting the flow of oil back to the engine. Can you imagine in two years the engine crank shaft binds up. I go to Ford, under the warranty for repair and they find a non-Ford oil cooler. Easy enough to say " that oil cooler is not original and caused the oil problem.....warranty voided!" Now that would be a bad day for anyone!

A final note; the difference in cost between the 'cheap' way and the right way was only $603. In a worst case scenario I would have paid that difference to guarantee genuine Ford parts.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #20
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Well got the cam and installed it. Because all my power ports are hot all the time I had to wire in a on off switch. That was a bit of a pain but well worth it. It works great and I am glad I did it as I like the extra protection.