Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Landing Gear Question

Even though I have as yet had no problems, my dealer is suggesting I spend about $6-700 bucks to have a Venture Mfg. second landing gear motor installed on my new 2011 Montana Mountaineer 326rlt. This eliminates the bar and he says gets rid of the risk of breaking the shear pin, etc.

Anyone have experience with this. So far (one two week trip) we have had no problems with our landing gear, although it is slow. My dealer says installing the second motor will also speed things up. I have seend some threads on landing gear issues, including one on switching to hydraulics. That sounds like a much more expensive solution.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
hunts,
I guess my hyd landing gear comments were just thinking out loud. I have a heavy unit and see no reason to modify the gear until something bad happens. I don't think it's something to worry about as long at it goes up and down.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hunts800,
As Mike indicated.... No need to do anything until something happens. Just had a friend buy new leg set because his quit working. And he had the two motor configuration. Turns out the leg broke a shear pin but they had already replaced the legs. He now has an extra set ready to go if something else happens.

Your dealer is trying to sell you something you don't yet need. If it were me I'd save my money and wait until something breaks. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Got 7+ Years of full timing on ours and replaced one fuse (of course it was cold and blowing snow). If it ain't broke don't fix it.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I agree...lots of other neat stuff to spend your RV money on!
Just try not to run the landing gear to the limit...you can blow a fuse at the very least (been there, done that).
Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You shouldn't shear a pin unless you bind the gear and the legs. The best thing to do is take a permanent marker and mark the leg extensions for the high point and the low point before the gears bind and shear the pin. This way you know exactly how far you can extend/retract the legs. There are other threads on here also if you go to the Search engine above at the top of the page and click on it and then search for landing gear threads. As the others have said "Save your money and purchase other things you want for your unit before investing in a second motor as suggested by your dealer"! Enjoy your unit and hope to see you on the road or at a Rallly sometime!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
These folks are telling you like it is. We marked our legs within one inch of the upper limit and do not exceed that. In 4 years of fulltiming, we have yet to blow a fuse or shear a pin. I carry extras but have not needed them yet. Your dealer should be ashamed, although he does have a good point, IF AND WHEN YOU NEED IT. I suppose you could spend a lot on preventative measures, but is it really needed?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

These folks are telling you like it is. We marked our legs within one inch of the upper limit and do not exceed that. In 4 years of fulltiming, we have yet to blow a fuse or shear a pin. I carry extras but have not needed them yet. Your dealer should be ashamed, although he does have a good point, IF AND WHEN YOU NEED IT. I suppose you could spend a lot on preventative measures, but is it really needed?
In 5 years of long timing we have never blown a fuse or had a landing gear issue doing the above..Also do not rock the switch.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
+1
You can buy a LOT of shear pins for that kind of money!
Good advice from others here as well. Mark the limits on the legs minus 1 inch and enjoy your Montana.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Hunts800,
As Mike indicated.... No need to do anything until something happens. Just had a friend buy new leg set because his quit working. And he had the two motor configuration. Turns out the leg broke a shear pin but they had already replaced the legs. He now has an extra set ready to go if something else happens.

Your dealer is trying to sell you something you don't yet need. If it were me I'd save my money and wait until something breaks. Good luck. Dennis
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote