Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
City water hook up Drip-Drip

Is there a better way to connect the city water hose to the trailer. Now I use a fresh water hose with a shut-off valve and find it hard to stop the thing for linking water where it connect to the trailer. Are there quick disconnects or something else you use and maybe leave it on the city water connection?

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I don't think a quick-connect will work because of the clearance between the water bib/quick-connect and the door. It may, but if I remember correctly on ours the quick connector was too long to close the door unless you screw on & off when you set-up and tear-down. Check and see if the little rubber gasket that seats inside the hose bib connector on the trailer is in place and not damaged. These are available at any hardware store. I've noticed sometimes mine drips a bit, so I just give the hose & bib connector another twist & it stops. I use quick couplers on my hoses that go to the filter & the hose ends. Works pretty slick. I assume you have a pressure regulator that goes between your hose & the water service bib.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Illini Trekker -

I had the same problem and solved it by going to Harbour Freight and buying a set of 3 vice grips. I tighten by hand and then give it a little snugging with two of the vice grips. We had it checked out by the dealer and still had the problem until I started doing this.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I have the quick connects on both the city water and the black water tank clean out connections. They work great - no leaks. The city water connector can be fited with the quick connect adapter and the water door can be closed. I think I have to leave the little turn up access pannel open within the door....can't remember unless I go out and look.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I couldn't get my quick-connect adapter to fit. I keep 2 pair of pliers handy for tightening. Works pretty well.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have a quick disconnect that I purchased at Ace Hardware. I leave it connected and the door closes. You just have to let it stick out into the opening (it's just slightly out).

But here's another thought: Are you sure it is leaking at the connection? I thought mine was leaking last winter at the connection. I changed quick disconnects, connected directly, but still had a puddle under the rig. What I discovered was that the 12 V water pump had a leaky check valve that was allowing city water to go into the tank through the pump--just seeping through. The water tank was full and continual seeping of water into the tank caused water to be pushed out the overflow which is located just below your city water connection. When water seeps out there it appears that the city water connection is leaking. You can easily check this by draining some water out of your fresh water tank and then watch and see if you have any more "leaking." If not, then it's the check valve in the pump. Just a thought because it happened to us and almost drove me crazy trying to figure it out. Bought a new pump head from CW and haven't had a problem since.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
One other thing to check on...be sure that there is no "extra" weight on the hose part where it hangs down from the Monty's connector. The extra weight causes stress on the fitting, which can cause pressure leaks. I've seen folks with those "inline" water filters hooked directly to the connector and hanging down. You can almost hear the fittings groan under the extra stress. Also, make sure the "add-on" pressure regulator isn't screwed into the Monty's connector. That makes a longer lever arm for the hose weight and will put more stress on the Monty's connector fitting. More stress means it will break, sooner or later, probably sooner and pressure leaks can occur in the meantime.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks for the tips, I can stop the leak with vice grips but with repeated use I'm afraid it will start to egg the hose connection.

Sound like the quick connects will work and if they stick out a little thats OK with me.

The weight of the hose is always a problem and thanking of using a small eyelet and a rubber strap to support the hose.See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote