Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Headed West - FL to CA

"Life" is what happens to plans. Two hours after we watched the Shuttle launch, my wife got a call from CA requesting her to return to a job she was "downsized" from over 4 years ago. It will be for anywhere from 6 weeks to a year and half, when she can take her real retirement.

Gotta do it, for lots of reasons. So, I'll put her on an airplane on 1 Aug and start the 2600 mi haul of the Monty, solo. I-75, I-10 I-20 and then, from Amarillo, I-40 to the LA area. Good news is that we have a RV place with full hookups already arranged in CA at for the rig. We'll stay in S. CA in the Monty until this all gets resolved, up to the 16 months, if necessary.

You never know.....at least, it was something we can easily cope with.

Best regards,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Life can be full of surprises and different turns. You won't believe the cost of housing in CA. Lucky you will be bringing your home with you. Have a safe trip.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Let us know where you are in So. Calif. Maybe we can visit or answer questions if you have any.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Boy you aren't just a kiddin about the cost of housing. We just sold one of our houses. It is called a PUD which means it is a Planned Unit Development. When we bought it we paid $80,000. That was in the early 90's. We sold it for $335,000. We couldn't believe it. Now that is what I call a profit. But we didn't question it. We took the money and got our Montana and put the rest into a CD. But we are right here in Rancho Cucamonga which is about 40 minutes from LA. Right next to the Ontario Airport. Let us know if there is anything we can do, or help you with. We both have lived here all our lives so there isn't much that we don't know about California. Be careful coming out here and take your time. Have a good and safe trip. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
PJ and Nan,
I know you mentioned this when we met but I didn't think it would come to pass. Wow! One never knows. That's a long trip especially alone. Good luck and we'll see you later. I know you still have relatives up this way so if you get in town again please give us a call. Would love to see you again. Best of luck to Nan. I know she may be having some doubts about going back but I'm sure all will work out for the best.

Glad you got to see the shuttle blast off.

Later..... Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We're in the Los Angeles Harbor Area, San Pedro, if you get out this way, we'd love to meet you and swap Montana stories.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Drive careful, PJ, and take your time. Maybe you folks can make it to the Reno rally in October?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
To All:

Hadn't even thought about the Reno gathering...may be "do-able" now. I'm sure there are lots of other things I hadn't though of in conjunction with this development.

Thanks for all the info and invitations. We had sold our home in Long Beach in '03, and still have the $ sitting in various safe types of accounts. The cost of housing in CA is really unbelieveable. Where do the buyers get the $ to afford the housing costs when they buy? The supply of eligible buyers at those prices has to be drying up rapidly....we wouldn't even consider buying right now....maybe in a couple of years when the boom goes bust...I'd like to buy back my former home for 20% less than we got for it!! LOL

Later,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote