Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Stevengeri
Established Member

M.O.C. #22451
2015 Montana 3440RL Slide and Leveling Jack Issue

My wife and I have been camping in our 2015 Montana 3440RL since September 11th around the PNW. Our slides and leveling jacks have been working without issue the whole time. We just finished a 2 week stop up in the Leavenworth area of Washington and had colder weather in the low 20's overnight and highs in the upper 30's during the day.

When we went to leave 2 of our slides would not go in. The one in the kitchen ran fine (a little slow) but the living and dining room areas would not go in. The motor was running so it was not a breaker issue. After numerous tries we were able to get them in, but the leveling jacks would not go up. The would move an inch or so and stop. I restarted the power on the panel and was able to get them all in an inch at a time.

As we went down the road we noticed that the slides were slowing opening up to an inch. Would stop and retract them again only to have them start opening again after about 10 minutes. Arrived at our new site and everything worked just fine. Temperatures here at in the upper 50's.

Long story short, I am at a loss here. Is the temperatures affecting the hydraulics, or this something else?

Stevengeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Just before the pump there is a resetable breaker. On our2010 rig Keystone replaced the 40amp breaker with an 80amp one under warranty. Our problem was caused when the hydraulic fluid would get thick in the cold and cause the pump to draw more than 40amps.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
Stevengeri
Established Member

M.O.C. #22451
Not sure this is a breaker issue. The motor ran but two slides would not move. When we arrived in a warmer place everything worked fine. Is this the same symptoms you were experiencing?

Confusing!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
No, it the motor is still running it's not the resetable breaker. When we had trouble with the slides creeping out it was the switch block that allows you to control whether or not a slide went out or not. We had the creep, but no problem retracting. I would call Lippert Customer service and see what they say.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is Lippert's recommendation for fluid in your system. You may need to remove fluid from your reservoir and replace it with a fluid for colder weather. I would think just replacing the fluid that is in a full reservoir would thin things out enough to make the rams move a little easier when it's cold.
https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0291.pdf
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We live in Washington and had that problem on are SOB and rohrmann is right we changed the fluid out and never had a problem after that. The HYD oil get to thick when it get cold.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:30 AM   #7
Home away from home
Established Member

M.O.C. #22809
just a thought, I believe Rohrmann is right but on to add on a thought. I also would check battery state of charge as when colder less battery voltage and things like to stop working or don't work right and then you moved to a warmer place and all is now working, just a thought. but first thought is fluid as mentioned
Home away from home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Stevengeri
Established Member

M.O.C. #22451
Thanks for the help and advice from everyone.

I will change out the hydraulic fluid to a colder weather fluid. Looks like there are some that are in each of the temperature categories for above and below freezing. Will check one of those out and should be covered.

Do not think we are into the extreme cold category!

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
I had a similar problem just yesterday. I think the fluid is an issued AND the breaker. I bypassed the breaker and everything ran fine so I changed the breaker for a 70 amp breaker and it ran fine. I think the lower temperatures makes makes the oil harder for the pump to move thus raising the amperage draw beyond what the breaker will allow.
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote