Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
usmcshepherd

M.O.C. #19376
Looking for experience in SW summer conditions

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some feedback from current owners who have lived in their Montana's during high temperatures of summer. I currently live in Yuma, AZ and am trying to decide if I can live through the summer here in Yuma in a Montana or if I should just look into renting a small house for the summer. I will be working in an office during the day so I won't be in the RV from 7am until 5pm most days, but will obviously want to keep the a/c on so I don't come home to an oven. I understand that the new Montana's come with two 15k a/c's and with the new quite a/c I am sure that will help, but am still looking for personal experiences.

Thanks in Advance
USMCShepherd

usmcshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Been fulltiming for 6 years now in Wash State and all 3 Montana's have held up great BUT Yuma,AZ in the Summer YIKES!!! even with 2 A/C's that will be Harsh I am sure it is doable with Shades closed,foil in the windows,Slide toppers etc.. Maybee others have here and can tell ya how they can Manage it,But Hey you are a Marine you can handle it and also In my experience the new Whisper air is not as good keeping the RV cool without some mods to the Vents which I have done as well as others to make the A/c work as it should
Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It's gonna be real hot. Two A/Cs will help way better than one, but lots of other things will help. I have only the one A/C and get no better than 10 to 15 cooler than whatever the temp is outside. So do the math on a 110 degree day. But when you get to hot, go outside for a short walk and it will feel like a freezer when you reenter your rig.

Don't wait for the rig to start feeling warm before turning on your A/Cs.. Set to a low temp like 75 in the morning, then both A/Cs will run pretty much all day trying to get the temp down there. Do cover with insulated bubble wrap and keep the windows the blinds down! Try and run the A/Cs with the fan on high or med )not auto)to prevent freezeup of the A/Cs.

Change all the bulbs to LEDs which run cooler. With everything closed up you'll have a tendency to have more light on, which even though not much heat, it will be enough to make a difference. Also consider running small fans on the floor in a couple of rooms to help circulate the cooler air (cooler air drops to the bottom.

Make sure you are connected to 50 amps. Running all this stuff requires lotsa juice.

It's weird chatting about this stuff in the California winter when it's less than 60 degrees outside. Yeah, I know, most of you all are in colder temps.

The good news (what?! there's good news?!), is that unlike the East or Southeast, there's a lot less humidity on the average in Yuma. My experience is that I'd rather be in hotter drier climate, than less hot, but humid climate.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We have been full timing for 6 1/2 years using 2 different Montanas. We have spent most of our time in the Southeast and have had no problems keeping comfortable. Both rigs had/have 2 a/c units but are pre-"whisper quiet"ones.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Would not be our choice to live in a Montana or any trailer in extreme Hot or Cold Weather that is if you have a choice!
A stick built home they are not!!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:25 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am with Ken above. We travelled the SW this summer OKC,TX,AZ,NM in temps of 100 degrees plus it will be hard to keep comfortable.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:49 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We spend every summer in Kansas with themps in the 90-100 range and high humidity. We have slide toppers and have put bubble wrap reflective material in a couple of windows. We also have 2 15,000 btu AC units and window awnings and have no trouble keeping the rig below 80 even on the days when it goes to 110. We also are parked with no shade at all.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
My in-laws lived in Phoenix and the heat was rough. My thought is find some shade or even one of the car port type canopies to park the Monty under. The air is warm, but if you can get our of the direct sunlight the trailer stays much cooler. We found this even in Wis. last summer - no shade means a hot camper.
And you need both AC units for sure!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I live in Mesa - pretty much the same temps as Yuma. In full sun and with no awnings, I don't think it will be good. But remember reading a thread about keeping Monty cool and they said the biggest difference maker was slide toppers. I would agree, as my cupboards in the slides are quite warm, so keeping the sun off would make a difference. And if you don't have dual pane windows, probably the bubble stuff would help. I don't quite remember, but have stayed in Vegas overnight and El Paso, and I think with A/C running all the time it will stay near 80, so am guessing with the mods listed, it is doable.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Having been in lake Havasu and Needles there is no way I would use my Montana in that kind of heat even with all the shades and the two AC units.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
We have a ceiling fan in the living room area, and when people came in they can't believe how cool it keeps the Monte. Yes, we do have the 2-A/C's going, and the fan helps circulate the air more efficiently. This worked well in Phoenix and Yuma with 90-100 degree heat. We were also in Indio, CA and the new bedroom A/C's thermostat failed, 113- 115. We stayed in the living room area with one A/C and fan going. Fortunately we have sliding doors to close off the living room, lol. It was barable.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
keep the fantastic fan running as hot air rises and it will aid in venting the RV.It will st ill be hard to keep cool.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote