Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2009, 03:33 AM   #61
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
So it sounds to me like it would be a good idea to add some straps before there is a problem?
For those that have seen this area, is there something to attach straps to?

mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #62
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
thanks for the info everyone,, I thought we were doing something wrong... we had to have our grey kitchen tank replaced while in Texas this winter. We left the tank open,, I know we are not supposed to,,, and we left for San Antonio Wednesday, left tank closed and yes, another leak... we also had replaced under extended warranty. I have a call out to the service tech that did the work and have a few questions for him.. thanks, Diane
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #63
teddyblue

M.O.C. #9773
Hello, I'm a new member and would like to know if Keystone has made changes to the way the tanks are secured. Looking to buy a 2010 Montana 3400RL.
Thanks
TeddyBlue
teddyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #64
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm not sure whether it has changed but when we took the factory tour a couple of weeks ago it looked like a pretty secure mounting to me. But I'm sure not an expert on what makes a secure mounting.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #65
teddyblue

M.O.C. #9773
Thanks for the reply. Were they using straps.

Thanks again.
teddyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #66
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
Hey this has been a very interesting thread. We have an '03 3255RL Monty that had the bathroom gray tank leak. Gray water running out like a river from an 8 inch crack in the bottom of the tank. Make a long story short, we had the grey tank replaced and all was well. The question of tank support became the reason the tank failed to begin with. When the manufacturer sent the new tank out, they strongly advised that all tanks should be supported and they tell the RV manufacturers that but they don't do it nor did they send the strap kit with the tank. I solved the problem by retro-fitting straps to all tanks. the black tank was sorta-kinda supported but it was a joke. They put a piece of angle iron under the tank but it only touched the bottom of the tank in one spot just waiting to wear a hole in the tank, plus the supporting bar was level but the bottom of the tank is sloped. Anyway the fix went this way, I bought four 1x6 boards, covered them with some scrap indoor/outdoor carpet(anti-chaffing) and put one under each tank. They were held up by lengths of plumbers strapping hooked to excisting structure, front to back. I used one turnbuckle per strap to keep a little tension on the tank. That gave the tank good support on the belly of the tank and took the stress off of the upper support flange. No more worries about tanks not supported! unfortunatley, I didn't take any pictures to post, so you'll have to use some imagination here to visualize it.
lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #67
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Will be replacing the black tank in the next few days. So far the cost is #175.00 including taxes + #90.00 for shipping to Ontario, Canada.
Will be doing the work myself as I had a good look at the set up when I had the leak repaired last winter in Texas.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #68
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I made a repair in my gray tank with this product Plasti-Mend ABS Plastic Repair Kit for Holding Tank Repair. Found it at Amazon just made the repair last month time will tell.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #69
davishome2

M.O.C. #10229
Hello, I have enjoyed reading the posts to the MOC web site. We joined shortly after purchasing our 1st RV in 2009. We have a 2001 Montana 3280RL. Would anyone know if the tanks would be configured the same as the ones discussed in this thread? Appears we have a leak in both the main Grey water and the Black water tanks. Both only leak when the tanks are full. Both began after a round trip of about 1,000 miles. My plans are to repair the problem myself. But I do need to get some knowledge as to how to access the tanks. One person I spoke with said I would need to cut out the floor of the basement to gain access to the top of the tanks. Reading these posts it appears I would access them from the belly pan. My belly pan is a plastic material. Each panel goes from side to side. Reading the posts it appeared the belly pans on the models discussed were in 2 pieces. Any info appreciated.
Thanks Frank
davishome2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #70
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
I sure would NOT cut the floors! I have never taken the tanks out but taking them out from underneath is the only way to repair the tanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #71
Pokernose
Established Member

M.O.C. #11089
We never travel with full tanks. There is a lot of weight rolling around in those tanks and it can affect ones ability to stop the towing vehicle even though the RV is equipped with its own brakes. As a female doing all the driving I far prefer not having that to worry about when travelling. The guys may laugh at that but I would rather err on caution.
Pokernose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #72
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
How do I get at my black and Gray tanks so I can get a good look at them. I can't seem so see much of anything from the bottom. All the in lines are on top and no way to get to them or be able to see the sides of the tanks. Thought about cuting a hole in the storage area, but saving that the the last resort. Worst problem is the black tank. 38 gal, but starts leaking at 30 gal. Is there any easy way to get to the tanks to be able to see what is going on?
AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #73
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
AJH,
About the only way to see the tanks is to drop the bottom covering. You don't have to take down the whole thing just the stuff near the valves. A trick we've learned over the several times we've taken the bottom barrier down is to use fender washers when putting the screws back in. Keeps the screws from pulling through the barrier material. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #74
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Use a battery operated drill get a 3/8" nut driver. Take out just as many screws as needed to help you get it back up. The screw only hold up the bottom cover so don't worry about something falling down on you.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #75
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Use a battery operated drill get a 3/8" nut driver. Take out just as many screws as needed to help you get it back up. The screw only hold up the bottom cover so don't worry about something falling down on you.
Except for the vile liquid hiding in between the tank and the outside. HINT: WEAR OLD CLOTHES!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #76
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
MOVED FROM HOLDING TANK POST IN WRONG AREA
I recently removed my fwd belly cover to nose around. I have travel star tanks, black and grey for sure. They have approximately 5" flanges held in place by good size channels bolted fore and aft. I don't see the need for tank belly bands with my mounting configuration. The thing that chaps me is on those brand new travel star stickers where the part number and size measurement go, nothing, zip, nada. Someone did write the date of installation or manufacture in yellow grease pencil. What's the forum say about calling the manufacturer now and getting the needed information before they start leaking 10 years down the road.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #77
BAnderson

M.O.C. #10783
I have ( actually she did) dropped a cel phone down the toilet. Yep, a cel phone. Any ideas on how to get it out of my 2008 model?
BAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 AM   #78
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Cell phone? Thats not good! Hopefully it flushes out of the tank without issues.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #79
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
On my 09 3075 Monty if I remove the rear wall of the front pit I can see the black tank and the grey water tank for the shower. It may be possible to get the tank info by doing this. The wall is made up of two panels held in place by screws. These two tanks run front to back and are supported by crossmembers attached to the underside of the frame. When the tanks are full they sag down and come in contact with these supports. However the tank which holds the water from the kitchen sink runs from side to side and has no support. It simply hangs from a lip running the length of each side of the tank. This one needs added support- I used strapping and closed cell foam. It can be accessed by dropping the forward part of the underbelly pad. Mine was leaking at the upper corner. I used Plastimend to repair it (without dropping it). So far it is holding but I avoid moving with water in the tank. Hope this helps.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #80
ctomwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9744
I had my Gray tank replaced 6 mo later had leak my local shop welded it. I then got under and add support to bottom by adding angle iron across frame them added plastic lumber between them in 4 places to support the gray tank from bottom. The black tank could only add one support under it
ctomwood is offline   Reply With Quote