Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Autoformer Question

In my prior post regarding autoformers several indicate they are plugging the autoformer into the shore power and then the coach into the autoformer. What are you doing to protect it from theft and the elements.
I presume that the female receptical on the autoformer is the same type as your 30amp coach cord.
This setup may be good for me until I can mount it permanently inside.
Thanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob and Carol

Ours is NOT a outside arrangement, Al did want want to have it walk, and besides, that thing is HEAVYYYYYYY, he hated lugging it out every time! UGHAA, lots of moaning and groaning!

He has permanent installation, the installation is found on our web page, below, find link to AL's electrical something or other! (you can tell it has been a while since I edited the home page! HA HA) Look in top left of the page, near the photo of us and Montana.

Good luck with your installation.

Carol

BEFORE permanent installation a lock, and heavy piece of chain around the axle kept it secure, then he put on a plastic box to keep out of the wet and mud and slid under the unit near that axle.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
The lock and chain is working for us. Just wrap it tight around the power post so it can't be lifted over the power box. I have seen others chain it to their rear stabalizer.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I padlock both my surge guard and autotransformer to my rig. Sometimes I padlock it to a wheel, axle, or to the rear stabilizers. It all depends just where the shore power connection is located. I use a padlock that is a little longer than a normal one. It fits snugly over the cable on the surge guard. I connect a bicycle cable to the surge guard with the padlock and run the cable through the handle on my autotransformer and connect it to the best place on the rig. Most times I'm able to run the bicycle cable from the surge guard, through the handle on the autotransformer, to a place on the rig and back to the padlock on the surge guard.

Hope this helps. Happy Traveling
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote