Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
Montana_3493

M.O.C. #3493
What is the best truck for a 3400RL?

We're Mark and Pat from Spokane, WA. This is our first attempt at posting a message. Our dream is to own a 3400RL, which we hope to purchase in the next 12 months. We're looking now for the right truck to pull it. Let's hear it from you all on what you think is the best truck to pull it. Right now, it looks like the Ford F350, with diesel is the overall towing champ for capacity...of course comfort when not towing is certainly a factor. Any opinions would be appreciated. Up to now, we've been pretty set on the Chevy 2500HD with Duramax.

Montana_3493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Montana_2673

M.O.C. #2673
Hi Mark & Pat, We just returned home after leaving Oct 5th. Our truck is a 2002 2500HD W Duramax pulling a 3280RL with a motorcycle on the back. We were pulling around 14,000 to 15,000 w no problems, average fuel 10 to 11.5. Left Tupper Lake, NY went down the east coast to Key West then followed the Gulf to Brownsville Tx then worked our way back home. !3,000 on the truck 3,000+ on the moto. I think you will not have any problems w the Chev. Good luck w whatever you decided to do

Wes
Montana_2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Freedom Bound

We're Mark and Pat from Spokane, WA. This is our first attempt at posting a message. Our dream is to own a 3400RL, which we hope to purchase in the next 12 months. We're looking now for the right truck to pull it. Let's hear it from you all on what you think is the best truck to pull it. Right now, it looks like the Ford F350, with diesel is the overall towing champ for capacity...of course comfort when not towing is certainly a factor. Any opinions would be appreciated. Up to now, we've been pretty set on the Chevy 2500HD with Duramax.
Freedom Bound,

I'm pulling our 3400RL with our Dodge 2500 CTD. I've never been a Ford fan. One of the contingencies of buying the 3400 was IF my Dodge could pull this beast up the Cajon Pass (6-7% grade, Calif. I-15 from San Berdo to the upper desert). I was rolling along at 65mph with throttle left to spare.
Actuall, any of the current diesel trucks in the 3/4-1ton range will pull the 3400 nicely.
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
Montana_3493

M.O.C. #3493
Thanks to Wes and kwbosch so far for their replies to our question. If anyone else would like to weigh-in on our purchase dilema, please do. All makes and models are up for grabs right now. kwbosch - I think I've driven the Cajon Pass before....great testimonial for your TV.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I prefer a 1 ton because of payload capacity. It may be to your advantage to look at the Tow Vehicles and Towing forum, there is a lot of info there. Good luck in finding the vehicle that fits your requirements.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
We traded up form a 31' Terry trailer to our 3400 RL in February.
In 2003 when I upgraded my vehicle I went form a F250 to a F350, witht he thought of upgrading the trailer in the future.
I bought a F350, 6.0 auto, crew cab, SRW and a short bed. The crew cab with a long bed, make the vehicle a little too long for day to day driving.
With the 5th wheel we had them put a 14" hitch extended to the orginal 5th wheel hitch. It attaches directly to the hitch plate.
That way I did not have to put in a slider hitch.
Also I have a 70 gallon TransFlow bed aux. fuel tank.
I have had a few problems witht he truck, but the dealer has taken care of them.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am not sure that you question is answerable. The reason being that all answers will be based on opinion and preferances. No one buys a tow vehicle with the thought that it is not the best choice to be made. Any of the big three will do the job. When people say they don't like a particular brand, it is usually because they are someone they know had a bad experience with that brand. For every nay sayer, you can find an opposing view.

If you are afraid that you will make a mistake and buy the wrong truck, you can tie yourself up in knots. This is called analysis paralisis. My opinion, for what it is worth, is find the truck you like, buy it and be determined to enjoy it to the max. Then you can join the rest of us who will stubbornly defend our choice to the death, even in view of evidence otherwise.

If money is no object, then get a customized Freightliner with all the bells and whistles or a powerful Volvo hauler. You won't worry whether you have enough truck plus we will all conceed bragging rights to you.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #8
Montana_3493

M.O.C. #3493
Well Stiles, if money were no object I would certainly entertain a Freightliner or Volvo hauler and claim the bragging rights! ha But, alas...it is an object. I believe you offer great advise, as a couple of others have as well. I notice you're pulling a pretty heavy 5er with a Ford F250 PSD. I take that it pulls it well?
mark
Old 04-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #9
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Mark I pull one of the largest Montana's with a Ford. I pulled it with the older 7.3L and now the new 6.0L. I will admit they both pull it very well. The newer truck adds much bettter handling and stopping over the older truck with the added larger brakes and tow command system. Both trucks were F250s and did a bang up job.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Absolutely!! I couldn't be happier. I must admit it is a little beefed up. It has an extra leaf in the springs and the larger tires. I have also added the Hypertech Programmer III which adds up to 100 horsepower additional pep. My next project is to add exhaust brake capabilities an increase the size of the exhaust system. I call it my "stealth" 1-ton in a 3/4-ton wrapper. Varoom!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #11
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I pull my 3670RL with a Chevy 2500HD Duramax with no problems what so ever. My buddy pulls his 5th wheel with a Dodge 3/4 diesel again with no problems. You should not have any problems with any brand you choose, just make sure you like the truck.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Mark,
Since all the big three Will pull it, I think the next thing to consider is how comfortable the ride is and does the cab have all the features you want. We are GM people and so we will either get a GMC or Chevie but that is just our preference. If you are planning on doing a lot of traveling, the comfort thing is really important. My disability was caused by a cheap car with a hard, cheap seat that cut off the blood flow to my nerve and muscle in my leg. Comfort and a CD player are really important to us. Don't look back - buy what you like and you will have company here on the forum.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:32 PM   #13
Montana_3493

M.O.C. #3493
Thank you, to all of you who have responded to our question about the right truck to pull our future 3400RL. I feel certain that we'll pick the right one with this kind of advise. My wife cracked the door open today to looking 'seriously'....we all know what that means! "Danger, danger Will Robinson!"
Freedom Bound/Mark
Old 04-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Freedom Bound,
I sent you an email on this topic. Welcome to the club...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:28 AM   #15
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
To elaborate just a bit, all of the big three will pull any of the Montana models. When you have over 300HP (and all of the big three have them) and huge gobbs of torque, you can really make things move!!!

As others have said, interior amenities and brand preferences really make up the biggest reason why anyone would pick one over the other.

What you should really look at to start with are the rated tow and carry capacities of the trucks you are looking at. For instance:

I got my 2001 Ford F250 7.3L diesel when I had our old TT. NOTHING slowed me down. Lots of excess capacity in every category. Now (as of last fall) we have a 2002 3575RL with one of the heavier king pin weights. I've been told to expect about 3,000lbs when loaded with water & stuff. The KP wieght is listed as about 2,500lbs dry & empty. A 2001 F250 is rated to carry about 2,500lbs in the bed. It looks like I'll have the rear axle loaded up right to its limit. Now, I have the PullRite Super5th hitch with SuperRails (which reinforces the trucks frame) so frame strength isn't the biggest issue. But there is no doubt that I've eaten away a big chunk of "safety margin" that Ford had built into their ratings.

As far as making things move, I have the exact same engine and drive train that the F350/F450/F550 have. So the limiting factor isn't if you can pull up a hill. The concern is control (emergency manouvers), stopping power and frame/suspension/axle capacity.

I'm primarily a Ford guy (if you couldn't tell by now) so all I really know are the Ford specs.

The new 2005 F250/F350 has been upgraded to the same frame that the F450/F550 has. The F250 is rated to carry about what the old F350 could. The way the big three have been competing over truck capacity "bragging rights", they are likely all bumping up their ratings. So, ask your dealers for the tow ratings and check it out. Then from all the trucks that will safely do the job, make your choice between the interior finish & other personal criteria. Just make sure that the truck will do the job right as the rated capacity varies with regular/extended/crew cab, short or long bed, 2 or 4 wheel drive, rear end gear ratio, suspension options (camper options, show plow options), etc...

Leave extra capacity for firewood, tools, bikes, what ever else you may want to carry in the back of the truck. Add in a fudge factor. Given my druthers, my next truck will take me to being about 80% of capacity when hitched up & ready to roll. I want my safety margin back...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #16
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
You didn't mention if you were shopping for new or used.

When I bought my F350, we went with the 350 over the 250, because it had s beefier frame, and bigger brakes. Capacities were about the same. We didn't want to buy brand new, and ours was "officially" two years old, but by the manufacture date, only 15 months old. Saved over 40% off of the "new" price.

You might want to cruise a place called "The Diesel Stop" on the web, and look through the forums for the model(s) you decide on - there are some good tips in there, plus you should be able to find out what regularly goes wrong with the truck you have in mind....

For example, the "Glow Plug Sensor" doesn't seem to last more than a year on my 350. Rather than pay the $100 deductible to have Ford replace it under warranty, I found it's a 15 minute job, you don't even get your hands dirty, and the part is $30 at most auto stores!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:05 AM   #17
Montana_3493

M.O.C. #3493
So far, we're seeing a lot of Ford owners weigh in. Does this mean something? Hummmm.... Eric, thanks for the extra effort on your advise - very good.
Freedom Bound
Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #18
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Freedom Bound: If you'll read my profile, you'll see I bought a Cummins, it just came wrapped in a Dodge. We ordered a new Ram2500 SLT 2 weeks ago and same story; I want the Cummins. Ford and Chevy/GM weren't even in the running. To each their own. They will all do a good job with proper care and feeding.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would not trade my Chevy for either of the other two brands. My personal choice, but the Allison tranny has been around and used in many heavy commerical use vehicles. That tells me they have been doing something right, and as far as the Duramax goes, cant think of a better motor to have pulling the coach. Like Pasternak said, I bought a Duramax, just came wrapped in a Chevy body. I guess you could say my profile says it all.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:39 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is another forum for some real good information www.flateratetech.com It is made up of Auto/truck technicians.Most of it is about problems but that is what they deal with day to day.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote