Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
buying used 335RLBS what should I check

I was going to wait until 2006 but found a 2003 335RLBS in great condition and a fair price.(20K with Hensley hitch) Got a copy of the title and lots of pictures from owner, had dozens of emails and phone calls, sent a depostit to hold it unitl I can inspect in person on Saturday.

The question for the forum is what do I look for during inspection Known trouble items to look for ? I know I want a 335RLBS and I know my Yukon is going to go slow up the hills, the unit has a hensley hitch that will help with handeling some. I know about the trim between the wheels not being supported well. But let me know what else to look for Thanks

Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
wingdavid

I have the 315rls which is very similar to the one you are looking at. I have had no problems with the unit so I can't tell you what to look out for. I did add the quickie flush and the guages work better on the black water tank.

We do have a couple of members who have owned the model you are buying and hopefully they will have some more info for you. My experience has been great and I would definitely buy another.

Good Luck with your purchase and buy a bigger truck soon. That tt is heavy.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello David,

Welcome to the MOC Fourm.

I think you'll be very happy with your choice, I know we sure are. Use the search in this forum for "PDI". This will prompt you as to what to look for.

The 335RLBS has no out of the normal issues.

Also search this Forum for "Mountaineer Improvements". There is a lot of info. there about things a person may want to do to there Rig. If you can't find this stuff get back to us and we will help you find it.

Like Silverbait we too would buy this unit again.

I do have concern's though, this TT loaded will weigh a little over 10,000 lbs. with a hitch weight of about 1100 lbs. That's asking a lot of your Yukon. You may want to look at the Yukon's Spec's. to see how it stacks up. GWR, CGWR. The Hensley will do a great job of sway control, but it doesn't help with the breaking and you already mentioned the towing concerns.

Good Luck and Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all welcome wingdavid to the MOC.

Can't help you with the hitch but as azstar suggested use the PDI (PreDelivery Inspection) Checklist. This list will give you all the necessary things to look at.

Good Luck,
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #5
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
I should have mentioned that we do have a 8.1L 3/4 ton 4x4 with 4.10 gears rated to tow 12,000 which I know is too much. Hitch is rated for the trailer and the tongue weight ok . The 335RLBS Dry weight is 8400 so I plan on not putting too much in the trialer and running with dry tanks and keeping the weight at or under 10,000 max loded
I will NOT be going above the posted speed limit with this rig,or expecting anyting but slow careful maneuvers and lane changes, I understand physics and momemtium and kinetic engergy .
Old 03-03-2005, 03:51 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wingdavid, the 8.1 is a good towing engine and the 4.10 rear gears will give you plenty of grunt. I don't think you'll have a problem towing it from a climbing the hills perspective. The Hensley Arrow is considered top of the line for ball towing and should help keep the Yukon level. I don't know what the wheelbase is on your truck but that trailer is pretty long. With a long trailer and a short wheelbase tow vehicle, stability in the wind, when being passed by semis, etc., can sometimes be a problem (tail wagging dog). But the Hensley may help keep things going the right way. I don't think you're in as bad a shape as your original post implies you might think.

Good luck. That's a really nice rig.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:38 AM   #7
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
Thanks for all your comments , I have the checklist and will use it.
I agree with what was said. No one commented on price I am paying
(about right, good deal or what) I estimate that I am giving the owner more than they would get from a dealer selling outright, but paying less than I would if I bought this from a dealer. At the end it is supply and demand, and if a willing seller and buyer are both happy it does not matter, but wondered what the forum thought , 335RLBS 2003 excel shape very low miles $20,000 with hensley hitch seemed just right? What do you think?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:40 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
do they have any service records for it?
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:03 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have no idea whether that's a good price or not. If you want to get a feel for it, check www.nadaguides.com . They have an RV section. One caution, though... Don't check the box on the options items unless you are sure it is not included in the base price. Many of the things you see there are included in the base price of many brands/models. But it still should give you a feel for wholesale and retail value.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
David,

Yea, that TV description sounds a little better, but it's not "too much"

Price? Looks like your in fine shape. I have seen used Hensley's with asking prices of $2000.
Nadaguides.com lists this TT at about $20,000 low book with out any extras. I would think your in the pink.

Let us know how you make out.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:52 PM   #11
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
inspected the trailer Saturday, and wrote a check, I am now a mountaineer 335RLBS owner. Will have to wait to pick up because the unit is in a field full of snow, besides I have to get plates and stuff still also
See you guys on the road.

NYC memorial day
Jersey shore July 4th
and who knows where else!!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:24 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yea! Congratulations, David! Here's to many years of enjoyment with that Mountaineer!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Congrats on the new Mountaineer. We have the same model and certainly have enjoyed ours. It sounds like you got a good deal. I wouldn't sell mine at that price. Enjoy!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #14
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Congratulations on your 335RLBS. We loved ours. The only problem we had was the fender on the drivers side. We were driving in New Brunswick when my husband just happened to look in the wing mirror only to see the fender flying down the road. Our Dealer had it replaced for us but it is a weak spot because it is loose where the slide comes out. In fact my husband reinforced the new one with sheet metal. Otherwise great TT. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:57 AM   #15
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
I did pickup my 335RLBS on Friday April 8., Sure enough the wheel well trim on the slide out side tore off as soon as I got up to highway speed. Everything else perfect. The yukon is fine for towing on normal highway grades I can hold 70 miles per hour up normal hills. Reservations have been made for the summer at a few places
and I found a TV that fit in the entertainment center (many were too deep)