Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2004, 05:22 AM   #1
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Awnings

Are Slide out awnings a good option or not

WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Bill
We have them on our fiver. They help in keeping water out and keeping twigs, dirt, etc. off the top so you don't have the stuff coming in when you bring the slide in.
When we ordered the trailer our salesman poopooed them but after talking with the service guys they highly recommended them so we had them put on and haven't regretted them.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:53 AM   #3
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We have them and would get them again. We do a lot of camping under pine trees and it's nice not to have to climb on the roof and sweep the needles off.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:02 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had them added to our first Montana, had them put on as an option when we ordered our second Montana, and, if there's a third, it, too, will have them. I'm sold on them. I don't like having to get up on the roof to sweep debris off the slides before we pull out and with the toppers I don't have to. Some folks prefer not to have the toppers and that's fine, too.

Welcome aboard.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 AM   #5
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We don't have them and don't find they are necessary. To us it was just another expense. While I'm sure they are very nice to have they are NOT necessary. Depending on where you camp you have to worry about a lot of rain and snow (weight wise) on them.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:33 AM   #6
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
I wont have another rv without them, like others have said, saves not having to worry with leaves, pine needles etc getting crunched between the slide top lip and the rv, our first rv did not have them, I got tired of cleaning the top of the slide each trip as where we set up there is most always trees around.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:57 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, water and snow have not been a problem on ours. The toppers are on a roller just like the patio awning except they're not pulled all the way out. When water or snow adds weight on the topper, they just roll out of the roller a bit more. It's really not been a problem for us. We've had 8 inches of snow on there and lots and lots of water.

But, you're right that they are not NECESSARY. They're just nice to have (just my opinion of course).
Old 11-01-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bill,

first, welcome to the forum

next, yes, we have them, ice rolls right off, so does water and snow. WET leaves are a different item and Al usually gets up there and brushes them off.

LOVE them, would install again.

Next, use our search engine here on the forum, this has been discussed a few times in the past and you might find the prior postings helpful.

Next, for those of you that have asked this, you CAN walk on your slides (top of the slides). On our plant tour at the Rally, Coleman Davis showed us! He says (without slide topper awnings, of course) you can walk on them, then he proceeded up that ladder and stood on the living room slide, no qualms! Sorta answered that question in a visual way!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think we in the first tour of the day didn't get as good a tour as the rest of you. We didn't have anyone demonstrate that nor did we get to go up and view the roof from above. Still a good tour, just not as complete as some. We'll do it again some day.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:26 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, You warmed them up for us! HA HA. Maybe they gave it their all cause it (being the tour we went on) was the last tour of the day??
Old 11-01-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nah, I think it was because our guide needed to make it to a wedding and was probably a bit in a hurry. He did a decent job, don't get me wrong, we just didn't get the extras the rest of you did. Still a decent tour.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ahh, that makes sense, I note that your little thinking happy face is stored at geocities. I thought we could not get links to geocities pages. oooh, boy, something new to play with.

Carol
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
I just wanted to say, I purchased our RV in the spring. We used it a couple times without the slide toppers and noticed that we brought in moisture when we brought in the sides. I asked my sister about the toppers cause she has em, and she talked me into getting them. I am happy with them and of course now when I bring the sides in, no moisture. .

Also, when it rains, the angle of the toppers keeps the rain off the slides because they are installed on a little bit of an angle.

I hoped I helped!!
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

I note that your little thinking happy face is stored at geocities. I thought we could not get links to geocities pages. oooh, boy, something new to play with.

Carol
I have the upgraded version so I'd have enough webspace for our travel thing. I'm not sure if you can link to geocities with the free version. Might be worth a try, though.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, thanks, just might give that a try. So far, I have not seen the need to upgrade (pay) for extra space, I seem to be OK with it for the moment. But, then, I am only a parttimer, not a fulltimer like someone else we know (the living legend and his wife). We figured the unit is about 16 months old and we have used it for a good 5 months. We figured that was not too bad considering the commitments we still have here in Lenawee County.

(And, apologies to all for hijacking this thread!

Carol
Old 11-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #16
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I did not have slide awnings on our last unit but I will order them on the next. I think they are a good way of keeping the slide clean and protected a little extra from the wet. I should mention though that my brother in law had them on his Class A and swore he'd never get them again. I believe he was in a real wind somewhere and leaves etc blew in under the awning so he had to brush it out. He didn't have fun!
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I didn't get them and for sometime I thought they were an unnecessary expense. Well that changed as my neighbor retracted his awninged slides while I was on a ladder cleaning leaves off of mine. Next rig will have slides and a sprayed in bed liner for the truck.

Guess I better start making a list of all the extras before January and the Tampa RV show gets here. That certificate we got at the rally is burning a hole in my pocket.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #18
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
After having them on our last TT, They were the first thing we added to our new TT. We are sold on them.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the benefit of the shade they give to the slide tops on hot days.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #19
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Our dealer suggested the awnings and we have been very happy with them. A suggestion that someone at the rally gave us was to put a partially inflate beach ball between the slide and awning to keep the awning from dipping under heavy rain (or snow). The campground where we had our seasonal site this year had a lot of cottonwoods. I could have spent every weekend cleaning slides instead of "camping" (euphamism for doing nothing). Yes, you can get by without them, but if you are in an area with a lot of trees, it makes it much easier.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:27 PM   #20
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I would not be with out the awnings
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote