Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2006, 06:11 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Just how on earth do you lock an electrical cable to the ladder??
Glenn, the Dealer told me to hold the 50A cord up to the lower ladder rung and put long shank padlock around both. Sounded silly to me, so I never bothered. If they were after the non-ferrous metals, they would just take my ladder too.

Brad

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #22
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We usually stay in safe RV parks so don't expect anyone to take it. But Don is thinking of putting a box of somekind that fits over the pedestal and putting a lock on it. Then if they tried to steal it... it would give them a big jolt.

We have never lost anything where we live in this rural area but are thinking of putting a locking box where it is plugged in just to be safe. Never know when someone might come along and try it. We are 12 miles from the nearest business and much farther from nearest police station.

The park where we got our spare taken ....we were hidden from view from everyone in the RV park. A big stored motorhome on one side, a building on one side and a building in back. No hook up in front of us. I will never accept a spot like that again. We have stayed there other times and not in that # 1 spot. We didn't lose anything the other times and we were in full view of other trailers.

You didn't offend me either. If they are that stupid to try to steal something and get fried, then it is pretty much their fault..
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
From a recent article in the local paper, Lenawee County, Michigan (find Toledo Ohio, go north one county into Michigan, you are now in Monroe County, turn west, go to next county, which is Lenawee):

"RIDGEWAY TWP. — Thieves removed copper grounding wire and metal plating from a cell phone tower on Pocklington Road, according to the Lenawee County Sheriff’s Department. In a report released Friday, a deputy said a Sprint-Nextel maintenance crew discovered the damage on Thursday. Someone had climbed the 10-foot fence surrounding the tower and pulled copper grounding wires off the tower and radio cabinets and removed assorted steel plates and framing arms. A technician told the deputy the theft could cost the company up to $3,000, including the labor to fix the equipment."
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #24
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If the thief has a pair of insulated bolt cutters, lock boxs won't help. If they are looking for copper then they don't need the plugs, just the wire, so snip, snip and they are gone before you can get to the door. It is hard for honest people to defend themselves against a corrupted ingenious mind bent on theft.

Reasonable precautions and contact with neighbors to set up a mutual watch seems prudent. We try to meet the neighbors right away when setting up.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #25
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
A bunch of "crackheads" destroyed the City of Harrah, Oklahoma's RV Park last night. In just a little time they did $60,000 worth of damage which we(the tax payers) have to pay for. ARGH!

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #26
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Aw heck, stealing is only bad if you get caught, right????

That's the way too many people in this country think. They're only remorseful
when they're sitting in the slammer or in Court.

I've got no use for thieves. Having said that, I wouldn't want to have to live with using fatal force on someone who wasn't threatening my life or my families life.

OTOH thieves getting electrocuted while trying to steal energized wires is simply natural selection at work.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #27
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I just heard on the local news of a house blowing up in Minneapolis...it was a house under extensive renovation and unoccupied. Thieves stole all the copper plumbing and gas lines from inside the home and it sounds like the gas was on when they did it...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #28
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Ooouuuccchhh! ! !
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote