Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 AM   #1
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Checklist (?)

Getting ready to take our 1st trip out with the 3400 and was wondering if anyone out there has a general checklist made up of things to do from pre-hookup to disconnect? We've been going through and trying to recall what was covered during our acceptance walk-around but I know I'm missing things. Any help or advice is more than welcomed. Email: Koerb@Comcast.net

John & Barbara Koerber

Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Go to the MOC Home Page: select "RV Related Links" go to "Miscellaneous Links" Select RV Check List
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Congrats on the upcoming first trip with the 3400 AND on being smart enough to know you need a checklist. Just remember when hooking up and unhooking, the checklist is good as long as you remember to use it and don't get sidetracked talking to a neighbor. You can be polite AFTER you have attended to the most important matters at hand. Most RV'ers will understand. Please report in on your first adventure. Have fun!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I use a checklist on one side of an 8.5 X 11 inch page and a log on the other. If you want to take a look at it, I have an Excel spreadsheet which you can modify at will. One side is "sheet 1" the other side is "sheet 2". Click the link below to see or download this spreadsheet file:

http://dwilliamson.com/RVchecklist.xls

If you'd prefer to look at a PDF file:

http://dwilliamson.com/rvcheck.pdf
and

http://dwilliamson.com/rvlog.pdf
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 AM   #5
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Outstanding !!! Thanks to those who sent the checklist, I printed them out and followed your advise, the trip from the house to the site was uneventful this morning so a huge load has been lifted off the shoulders. Now comes the relaxing part right??? Can hardly wait for tonight when I'm sitting out under the awning with a good cigar and a cold one. Then back to the checklist and home on Sunday. Thanks again to all.

John & Barb
Old 11-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Outstanding !!! Thanks to those who sent the checklist, I printed them out and followed your advise, the trip from the house to the site was uneventful this morning so a huge load has been lifted off the shoulders. Now comes the relaxing part right??? Can hardly wait for tonight when I'm sitting out under the awning with a good cigar and a cold one. Then back to the checklist and home on Sunday. Thanks again to all.

John & Barb
Old 11-16-2006, 06:05 AM   #7
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445

John & Barb
Old 11-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We started off with written check lists, but have found that we can remember what needs to be done after these 5 months we have been traveling.

My biggest piece of advice, though, is that you should not be interrupted when you are setting up or tearing down. A couple of times we were interrupted by a fellow camper and found that we missed something (because it wasn't written down). Now, when someone approaches me, my wife very nicely and firmly tells them that I would be happy to socialize once I'm done with my set up.

So far, we haven't had any damage occur as a result of these infrequent interruptions, but mainly because in the tear down/hook-up we double check each other. I always perform at least 2 walk arounds before moving the 5er. I check for landing gear, rear stabilizers (even though I know they were put up, because I did it myself), stove vent secured, hoses and connectors put away, storage door locks locked, steps UP and door handle secured, etc.

The first time out, it took us about 45 minutes to set up; now it takes about 20 minutes or so. If we try to rush, then we often miss something and find it in our walk around. So, don't rush!

When I started this lifestyle, I was very concerned about the whole thing. I am oneof those an*l retentive types who check and double check everything, including those things I haven't tackeled yet, like you are doing with this post about checklists. Once we did it a few times, and we were relaxed about the process, it was not only enjoyable, but rewarding.

In fact, after a few months, I was able to help another camper who, in their 80's, were first time RVers and had no clue how to set up their 5th wheel. So, take it easy and pretty soon you will be an expert. By the way, an expert is someone who knows what to do but is always SEEKING new information about the topic at hand. This forum is invaluable for all experts (and newbies, like me).
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Well said Micheal, but I thought an expert was a dried up water fountain, . Actually, I'm like you, and most everyone here, no matter how much you know about any given subject, there is always something to learn.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with what Michael said, we do double check each other and if I know Ed is particular tired, I stay right with him. Plus we have adopted a time out when we arrive at the site before setting up. A 10-15 minute break to relax helps to clear the cobwebs and the road lag often present after driving for hours, finding CG, backing or pulling in, etc.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote