Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, this applies specifically to the 3400 but might also be applicable to other models. This is something I did to ours but you could have the dealer do it.

The 3400 has a sewer hose compartment in a back corner of the rig. On the same rear corner on the opposite side is an identical compartment except there is no door. I got a door identical to the one for the OEM compartment and installed it on that other side compartment. Now I have additional storage in that other rear corner. The door is the same door previously used on the outside shower compartment. For those with a 3400, look at the inside of the door and there is print that identifies it as the shower door.

We discovered this compartment when Steves was having the Lippert eletric rear stabilizers installed.

Yet to be installed, in the past couple of days I purchased a 5 inch square fence post, the white vinyl(?) kind to sling under the rig. It will hold my folding ladder (from CW) and possibly the half-round pvc sewer hose support(s) I have. Not sure yet if both will fit in there. I saw these tubes on John Bozarth's Big Sky at the rally. I now just need a nice day to get it installed. The fence post is $16.97 at Lowe's for a seven footer. Plus two end caps for about 4 bucks total. John used a spring to hold the endcap in place. I got two springs and will do both ends so I can access the ladder from either side. The springs will hold the endcap in place. Slide the spring down to remove the cap. I don't have it installed yet so don't have pictures.

On the 3400 I also installed the means to hold the street side locker doors open since the factory doesn't install those. I posted pictures in another thread. Your dealer could easily do this, too.

Extra electrical outlets, thanks to Ozz. I'd also suggest an outlet in the basement storage and/or above the front locker door (use the covered outdoor patio type).

If you plan on having a washer and dryer, those bifold doors get in the way. After looking at several at the rally, I removed the hinges between doors, bought a top and bottom pivot (Lowe's, HD, Ace Hardware) and got a knob for the second door. Now our doors open from the middle, each door individually.

Removed the lazy susan.

Magazine rack in the water closet.

Remove the plywood under the bed, cut it in half, add a handle on each, and put it back in place. Instant additional storage under the plywood. Also posted in another thread. You could also easily put access doors on the vertical walls under the bed, for easy access to that area. Haven't done that. Yet.

MaxxAir vent covers as others suggested.

Get the dealer to install levels for you.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
DOUBLE WOWZER iffn I was to add all these great suggestions to the cost of our new rig the price will double but what the heck keep them coming as I am not the only one studying this thread.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #23
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I would also consider hardwiring a 50amp surge protector in, putting turn signal indicators on the cowling between the 5er tries, putting backup lights on the 5er and docking lights on your TV.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #24
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Costco.com has a nice double filter setup that comes with it's own high quality faucet.
The set up is only 90 dollars, tells you when the two filters need changing out (2000 gal).
Set up in your kitchen, you would have a tap that delivers pure water for cooking, coffee making , and drinking water. Also for 140.00, they have a a five stage reverse Osmosis system with it's own water tap . This unit comes with a 3 gallon tank so it much larger and would take up most of the space under the sink.
Just some food for thought............or drink for thought.........or whatever.
http://www.costco.com/
Do a search under " Watts water"
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:04 AM   #25
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Macreator waste pump - no large waste hoses to deal with
Quick connect gas outlet for outside cooking
Gas support struts for cargo doors

Most important - a larger truck to handle all of that extra weight!?

Don
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #26
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Going to add our Bose cube 7.1 theater surround system with powered sub since we already have it from the stick house.

110 outlet in the basement.
50 amp surge protector.
Wine rack and glasses that will hang from the somewhere just not sure yet. Gina's eye will decide.
Trip to the Hobby Lobby for greenery to dress it up a little.
Run some strip lighting to go with the fireplace and winerack.

remember the......
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #27
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Wrenchtraveller, do you personally have the Watts double filter that you referred to? I've been wondering what we would do for drinking water......we use reverse osmosis at home. Would a person still need the outside filter? TIA!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 AM   #28
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
No, I have not done this yet but I think I will before I hit the road in April. You could still use a cheap one stage filter outside if you wanted, but it probably would not be necessary in most campgrouds.
Fill a clear bottle from your CG tap and look at water. See anything you don't like, you want to filter it before you put it in your fresh water tank. Personally, I filter any water I put into my fresh water tank.

We use so much bottled water when we travel and our two dogs only get bottled water. I learned the hard way not to give your dog water from strange city taps.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote