Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Awnings over the slides ?

I hope I'm in the correct discussion folder for this topic.

Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons for the awnings that go over the slide outs? It looks like they would be a good addition and would help detour any rain away and keep most leaves off. But then again, do they flap in the wind and keep you awake at night?

Thanks
Blue

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Blue,
My next coach will have slide awnings on it. From what I have been told by owners who have them; awnings help keep the coach cooler, keep debris off of the slides, and help prevent water from leaking into the slides. After 5 years of rv'ing I have only seen a few slide awnings flap in the breeze, not something I would allow to sway my buying decision one way or the other.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
We got ours put on for the reasons Montana Sky said. Although, the technician said they were not designed to keep rain off of the slide roof, it has to help from getting in the back side by the rubber flashing. I got it mostly to keep the debris off of the slide roof. With 4 slides, that can be a pain.

2006.5 Montana 3400RL
(Ma Bella 2 'cuz Mary is Ma Bella 1)

2002 Silverado 2500 LT CC SB 4x4 DMax/Allyson Prodigy Controller
Reese Signature Hitch

Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I think they are very much worth the money. They keep the rain, leaves and sticks off the top of the slides, but at the same time they will belly and hold the water on top of the cover. You have roll the slide in slowly to allow the water to run off. I usually lift the front of the trailer a couple of inches before hooking up and let the water run off the back before retracting the slides.

As far as the wind making them flap....yes it does and I think that if the wind is bad enough you might get a torn slide cover. A rope across the top of the slide secured to the bottom will cut down on the flapping plus it allows a channel for the water to drain at the same time.

Charlie
2001 F-250 Lariat SC 4x2 LB 7.3L PSD
BD Power ECM 80 HP Performance Chip
BD Power X-Monitor LED Digital Gauges
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
2005 3295RK

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Well good, I'm sold on the idea of having them. They seemed to have a good purpose. I believe I will get them thrown in to my deal.

Thanks
Blue
Old 08-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #6
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
We have the carefree of Colorado slide awnings on all of our slides. They work great. We live in a really high wind area; even blows loaded trains off the tracks and tractor trailers over! I haven't noticed them "flapping" or making a huge amt of noise in the wind. We like them. I say it's a nice addition.
Welcome to the MOC family! We are glad to have you! Good luck with your choice. You will be happy with the rear living or the rear kitchen; they are both great floor plans!

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Yep... I recommend them, for all the reasons stated above. We live in Colorado, and you never know when it may snow in the fall around here. Sure beats getting up on a slick roof to brush the snow off before you retract the slides!

Ours do flap some in a high wind, but it depends on the wind direction, etc. The advantages more than outweigh the disadvantages, and there are ways to control the flapping, as stated above. Most times, though, it's not a problem.

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:05 AM   #8
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
I agree with the above owners - wouldn't be without them.

However, I doubt if I would order them from the factory again. I would buy the Carefree of Colorado awnings & have the dealer install them. These awnings have a built in 'tent' feature that prevents water pooling on the long awnings, and also a metal weather shield to keep them clean when rolled up (& prevent UV deterioration). Also, the A&E awnings from the factory don't seem to last very long - I've seen 4 year old rigs with these & the fabric has started to split/crack/separate.

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[IMG] http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...rand_Blanc.gif border=0
alt="Click for Grand Blanc, Michigan Forecast" height=60 width=468>[/url]
[/IMG]
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:40 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I was looking at the Carefrees. They showed me some that came out automatically with the slides, but had additional hardware that let you further extend the awning past the slide at a lower angle to create a window awning. I liked that, as I always seem to put the slide side into the sun.

Our little hang out in Nebraska does create some horrific winds without warning, and I've seen it tear up the slide awnings up pretty good if the owners were out on the lake and couldn't do anything about it. Those that could were forced to pull in the slides and wait it out. I beleive it was Carefree that also showed me the fix to that, where you could actually retract the slide awning separately without pulling in the slide.

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR occassional tow buddy

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The biggest thrill is when you are bent down (or on all fours) pulling the galley dump (won''t hold true for all models) and the dear wife pulls the slide in dumping the rainwater right down the back of your neck on a cold day!!! Gotta love 'em !! She claimed innocence (and ignorance) but I think she was probably waiting for just the right moment !!

1999 F250 SD/SC V-10 Lariat
2000 Montana Mountaineer TT 305FKS
'92 GMC Conversion Van - 350TBI
Weatherford, TX
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Even though I dont have them, and at times I wish did, they do help to keep the sun from blasting to tops of the slides, and help keeping the slide area a bit cooler which will also keep the inside of your RV cooler. I was watching a program on TV and the topic was about pannels over a roof line the roof temp was 140 deg. and under the pannel was 104 quite a big differance in temps so I would think the slide awnings would be the same a gap between the two roof lines.
They could be a problem in the snow with all the extra weight on them.

Don, Georgia and Smokey.
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
FORD F-350 Turbo Diesel, Clydesdale, Banks Stinger, Prodigy Controler,
Pullin a Super Fine 2004 / 2980-RL

Trailer Trash 2's link
Trailer Trash 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:05 AM   #12
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
VanMan, My wife must have been talking to yours. That is a chilling experience and will make you stand up in hurry. I will however make sure my next coach has them as well.
Rick.

2005 Montana 3670
2005 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Pullrite SuperGlide
Prodigy/Intella-Stop
Doran Pressure Pro
Ride Rite air bags
In-cab controller

Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:34 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had them on our first Montana, have them on this Montana, and ordered them on the new one as well. I personally would not be without them. I like not having to climb up on the roof or a ladder to sweep the tops of the slides clear of debris before retracting the slides.

The downside is they do flap some in gusty winds but it has never kept us awake nor awakened us. If they are adjusted properly the flapping is not that bad. Also, they are good for 3 to 4 years of constant exposure before they deteriorate and need the material replaced. If you weekend and vacation and they are not constantly exposed when stored then they should last a lot longer than that.

The above is just my opinion. Some folks prefer not to have them.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #14
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We bought our Monty previously enjoyed and had the dealer throw in the slide out awnings as part of the deal. We have been very pleased with them so far and really enjoy not having to climb up there and sweep off leaves, sticks, and sometimes walnuts off the tops before bringing them in. If we bought a new one tomorrow we would have them installed again.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Snow and Ice have not been a problem with the toppers, they both slide right off, the ice will come crashing to the ground and scare the beejeebees out of ya if you don't know it is up there. (Al thought I blew the windows out of the unit, thought it was glass all over the ground! )

He has had to clean wet leaves off a couple of times, so that we did not roll them up with the awning. Not bad in 3 years of part timing.

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thank you everybody for your input.... It looks like..
SURVEY SAYS.... Get-Em !!

Now to investigate the "Carefree of Colorado awnings" and determine what process I need to go through to get them and have the dealer install them or just get the factory ones.

Thanks again for "Welcomes"
Blue
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
There are a few people who rather do without them, but not many. When researching our Montana for the past year - mostly on this forum of experts - it became a "no brainer" early on. We had this on our list early on.

If you are in an area like Steve (txkrumm) or Brad (bsmeaton), saving your slide awnings from wind damage would be secondary to preventing damage from a train from falling on your Montana... JMHO...

Charlie, I like your idea of a rope - haven't heard of that one. I was trying to figure out how I was going to convince Cheryl she needed to climb on top with a beach ball...

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahaha, Guess I better put the wind I was talking about in perspective -After the sky cleared of sand, I noticed one 5er was laying on it's side on the beach, a couple of tent trailers lost the roofs and canvas, and my portable dish was found in the trees a few hundred yards away. Tents were just plain gone.

Anything less than that and you should be fine
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have never pulled ours in because of wind flapping the toppers even in 65 mph winds. The only times we've pulled the slides in because of heavy storms is when the wind starts lifting the sides of the trailer. We pull them in to minimize that action.

Water pooling on them has not been much of a problem. We've had ours touching the slide roof. It just pulls more material off the roller. I think I may start doing the rope trick, however, to give that water a way to escape. Water sitting there can discolor the top of the topper. We learned real quickly that Vicki should clue me when about to retract slides so I can get out of the way. One drenching is enough. Charley suggested moving the slides slowly when water on top of them. That might be a good idea but we never thought of it. We just pull them in same as always.

As Carol said, ice and snow slide right off. It's kinda cool watching sheet ice break up as it rolls over the roller and drops to the ground.

Montana Sky, your dealer can install them for you. We did that with our first Montana and they were identical to what Montana installs. You could go with Carefree instead of A&E, if you prefer.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #20
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, We pull ours in slow if they are loaded with water, let a little drain off, do some more, still amazing how much water can really be up there. Not sure it makes a bit of difference, maybe just the way we got used to doing it??

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote