Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Question about MSRP prices

We have our property on the market to sell. Once it is sold and we have closed then we plan on getting (hopefully) a Montana. We will probably have to get a used unit but on the outside chance we can possibly get a new one I would like to get some information concerning the MSRP of the units. I have been told that some dealers inflate their MSRP so they one is not really getting the discount one might think. How does one tell if a dealer is inflating the MSRP? And how can I get the MSRP on the net for the Montanas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

GQ

Montana_6085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Most all RV dealers, not just Montana, inflate their selling price up to 40% or higher.
Shop around for the best pricing.
When you get down to the final negotiations you should walk away with a 25% to 30% discount.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you will share the dealer quoted MSVRP with the forum..beleive me..We know..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
I suggest you do a search on the internet for the unit you are looking for and see what it can be purchased for. We found several very competitive dealers in Michigan and Wisconsin. Then you have some real numbers to bargin from. There is nothing wrong with getting a price from one or more dealers. You might even get more than 25% OFF if you look at a end of model year trailer. Because of the discount, we found that we were able to buy a new one for less than some of the used ones were selling for. Good luck shopping, and remember that shopping is half of the fun.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:25 AM   #5
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Try going to NADA web site.

http://www.nadaguides.com/

Look under recreational Vehicles.
http://www.nadaguides.com/

They want your zip code to get pricing in your area.

Look under the "K" for keystone.

This is a starting place. And by no means is meant for dealer negotiation. But its a start.

Like someone else here said post the MSRP and I'm sure people will try to help.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:14 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Maybe to clarify just a bit... It's not really that the dealers inflate MSRP by 40% but that 40% or more is their normal markup. Some do seem to inflate MSRP beyond that number, though. We recently did some shopping and I can tell you there definitely are used Montanas out there that will cost you more than a new one, assuming you negotiate 25% off on the new one. On the other hand, you still might find a better deal in a used one. At least now you have a feel for what a new one should go for.

Keep in mind the 2006 is now last year's models. The 2007's are on the lot. If you go with a 2006 you should get an additional 5% or so off. Dealers will want to move them.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:06 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Also keep in mind that the late 06 models and the 07 models are virtually the same. My delivered in May 06 3400 and Dave(dsprik) 07 3400 deliverd last week, excecpt for the color of the interior hardware, were identical, Burnished bronze VS burnished black. Yet the 06 model is considerd last years model and should be a better deal/
Old 07-31-2006, 04:27 AM   #8
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Quote:
quote:If you will share the dealer quoted MSVRP with the forum..beleive me..We know..
I will do just that if I am not sure or having any trouble with figuring it out with any dealer. Thank you for that option.

I have been doing research on the net for quite some time now and also have learned that in many cases the new price is actually lower than many of the used prices I have seen. We have narrowed down our list to Montanas and Bignorns. Both seem to be really well made units and have everything we want and need for a fifth wheel. I have to say that I like the floor plans for the Montanas more than the Bighorns and I (being the woman) like the general looks of the Montana more. We would prefer to get a new one because we would like to have the double-pane windows and extra insulation and such as that since we plan on living in it full time. We will not be traveling as much as many people but will of course do some, but most of the time will be parked.

Both of us are on a fixed income, husband receives social security and his pension and I collect social security disability. We bought a 1-ton dually Chevy and it is the regular cab. It has the 8.1 Vortec engine with the 4.10 axle ratio and it is a 4x4 with the regular full size bed. It is a 2004 truck and my SSDI payments pay the monthly payment for it with just a little bit left over. So, I think we are ok when it comes to the right truck for pulling a decent fifth wheel. We plan on getting a Reese Signature Series 16k hitch. Is that a good one in your opinion? We plan on getting that through the dealer and having them install it when we go to pick up the unit wherever we buy it from. We are willing to travel to get the best deal because we have 2 dealers in the Las Cruces area that are willing to work on fifth wheels that they did not sell. In fact, we have a good friend who is a slaesman who works for one of the places but they don't sell the brands we are serious about. We do have to be careful though when we actually sell our property. We are kind of afraid of selling it in the middle of winter and really can't travel to Michigan and places like that in the winter weather. So, much depends on the time of year that the property actually sells and closes. But when it all comes down I will most certainly let it be known in here and maybe someone can possibly help at that time. Because of the fact that we are on fixed incomes we are really needing to get the lowest possible price so we can get monthly payment we can afford.

Thanks for all of your great help and your willingness to help someone to get the best price.

GQ
Old 07-31-2006, 05:06 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
You can start by asking your dealer for a factory "Retail Price Sheet." It is the factory MSRP for all models and all options. Our dealer volunteered one...as did a Sunnybrook dealer, so it's not a big secret. It will give you a good starting point.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 AM   #10
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Thank you Cat. We will do just that. That is good information.

GQ
Old 07-31-2006, 05:37 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes the Reese 16K signature hitch is a fine hitch. As CAT320 suggest request that retail price sheet from every dealer. The MSVRP can be a moving target as each Dealer can have their own MSVRP. It is not like a auto or truck where the window sticker for the same vehicle will be much the same everywhere. Not so with campers. We Understand fixed incomes and the need for the best lowest price. Many of us on the forum are on fixed incomes as we are....good luck...
Old 07-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Maybe to clarify a little, they don't really inflate their msrp 40%. That's their normal markup. Some dealers may inflate the msrp above that to make you think you're getting a better deal.

Once you know which model and which options you want you can do a Google search for Montana Dealer and email a bunch, telling them exactly what you want and asking them to quote a price. I got a pretty wide range of offers when we did this back in 2002. I think others here have done this as well.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

Old 07-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you have the time do as Stever R suggest. We did that and it will give you a good Idea of MSVRP prices.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Ok here is the little trick we used to make our deal and it will tell you what the dealer is paying for the coach go to you credit union and tell them what your going to buy and from what dealer and then ask them what they will loan for that unit after they do the leg work you will see that they will only loan up 1 and a half times dealer invoice that where you make your play for a deal if they are asking more then the credit union will loan run from the deal they are soaking you but if they come down from the high side they are trying to work with you remember they can get a lender to go for there deal they make a little money back from the lender that you don't know about it's called recoarse so stick with your lender one you can trust and good luck with your purchase

tim ford
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:02 AM   #15
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
I don't know if there is a price list for trailers like there is for cars and trucks from Consumer Reports,but, that is what I use when I go to purchase a new vehicle, and I NEVER pay MSRP for cars. In fact the Dodge 3500 diesel I bought two years ago I got for dealer invoice minus any rebates that were ongoing at the time, which there was none, so I got the truck at dealer cost. A van I bought two years prior to that I got for Dealer invoice plus 1.5%. They still make a profit on any trade-in you make and what is known as "Dealer Holdback". I think the best RV deals can be gotten at the large RV shows that are around the country all the time. If you are in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area there will be a show in Oct I think at the Ft. Worth convention center and later in the month at Dallas Market Hall. I bought our trailer there and saved $8,000.00 which is like 20% off the so called normal price, I didn't feel to bad about the deal so I guess it wasn't a bad one. If you walk away feeling good then you got the deal you can feel good about and to heck with what Joe blow got his for.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #16
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I had a firm quote of $37,000 and change from a dealer in Indiana, I think it was. When I got serious, I had retail prices quoted from the high 40's to $80,000(!) for the same unit. We purchased a 2006 Montana 2955RL for around the original quote, but it took some negotiating. If you can find the real retail price, which is not easy to do, subtract 40% and go from there. Good luck!

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We have been looking at the 07 3650Rk. the one on the lot is not what we want so the dealer gave me a Retail Price Sheet to fill out and order what we want.Now from reading all the posts I should be able to get about 25% off. Is that off the base prise or the total after options are added? Now I would like your opinion of the deal. BASE PRICE $47,305
Dual pane windows $1385. Dinette $500. Hide a bed not L shape $110. 2nd Air $695.
wireing $100. fantastic fan $445. celing fan $140. washer/dryer Prep $155.
Artic Insulation $380. Hydraulic selector switch $ 235. Central Vac $455. Fireplace $1295.
Moving to montana PKG $3,895. Value PKG $ 2,595. Total $11,940. Our Trade is 2004 3685FL NADA with nothing added says $32,400.So If I take 25% off the Base makes it $35,479.25 with the options $47,419.25. If I take the 25% off the total it would be $44,431.25. I also read that they give about $2000. less than NADA on trade So that would be $30,400. from the $47,419 = $17,019. OR $14,031.25.What do you Think.

Bob & Lee
U.S.ARMY(Retired)Full time since 2 January 2004
2004 3685FL 1997 F250HD,460, Ext Cab,Auto,4X4
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:33 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The MSVRP list list price that I have dated 11/14/05 is very similar to what you have quoted..It shows the 3650Rl base price as 47,150. The rest of your quotes are identical which tells me there is something very wrong because my price list is 9 months old and is for 06 models and is before some of the newer options came out. The discount usually comes off the TOTAL price with all options included which using your numbers would be 59,245.00 at 25% would be 44,434.00, ..the same number you came up with.Be it noted that on our late 06 3400 with just about the same MSVRP we received 31.2% off. Don't know about trade in values but to move up 3 years with many new options for 14,031.25 does not sound bad...for starters..I think you can dicker another 5% off MSVRP.However a deal is good if it is good to you..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's off the total msrp including options. At least that's how I always thought of it. The dealer will try to give you wholesale for yours, less whatever he figures to spend on it to put it in nearly new condition. If the carpet is worn or dirty it may have to be replaced or professionally cleaned. Etc. To me, figuring an accurate number for the tradein is the hardest part. It's best if you go in armed with all the numbers and the deal it would take to get you to sign the papers. Sounds like you are pretty much ready to do just that. Good luck.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

Old 08-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #20
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I have a 2007 model price sheet which agrees exactly with Bob & Lee's.

When we were talking about a deal on our 3400, the dealer offered us about half the value for our loaded TT on a trade. They did not care that we had spent a total of four nights in it, or that it had been towed a total of 650 miles. In fact, they did not even want to see it. Bottom line, I sold it on eBay and got what it was worth...$1,000 more than we paid for it.

Bob & Lee...sent you a PM.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote