Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Kipor generator

We have the opportunity to buy the Kipor generator, Model KGE 3500ti.We did a search on the forum and there is only 1 post on the issue. Does anybody have one, other than wrench traveller (would like to hear from you on the generator) Did some homework on the generator and the results were positive. They are almost if not exactly a copy of the Honda. They are widely used in Europe. Our Rv dealer now handles them. I noted that our city service department has two of them as well as some Honda's. They got the kipor because they looked just like the Honda execpt they were yellow and cost a bunch less.They report no problems with the Kipor..or the Honda's. I don't care what color the generator is as long as it does the job..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Mine has been working fine since I put the new carbureter on that my internet dealer sent me no charge. We had a couple power outages in December and the Kipor gave us lights and TV by running an extension cord into the window. My Daughter was studying for a big final university exam and was able to continue because of the Kipor.

I also got that 50 amp to 30 amp pigtail that plugs into the Monty and I run a 30 cord to the Kipor. I have had all the lights on in the trailer and still got a charge reading on the trailer's battery level meter. Mine is the 2000 Sinemaster.

One of our other members from the BC Interior also had one and used it with good luck down South
this winter.

Bottom line, Rich, good value for the money. I started out skeptical because my first mail order model showed up damaged but now, I am satisfied.

What is the estimated delivery date of your new 3400? Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I know this "OTHER" RV forum is somewhat more opinioniated than ours, but you might be interested in checking their posts out on the KIPOR. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/search/parms/sw{KIPOR%20generator}|km{exact}|kl{m}|fm{}|pd{90}| ma{}/sr/1.cfm

OK, the link I used didn't work correctly ... just go to RV.NET and do a search on Kipor generators as ther are several entries.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I know this "OTHER" RV forum is somewhat more opinioniated than ours, but you might be interested in checking their posts out on the KIPOR. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/search/parms/sw{KIPOR%20generator}|km{exact}|kl{m}|fm{}|pd{90}| ma{}/sr/1.cfm

OK, the link I used didn't work correctly ... just go to RV.NET and do a search on Kipor generators as ther are several entries.
Heres Your Modified Link:

Kipor Generators
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dick Whitfield had one in use while we all were in Quartzsite and it did the job for him. We compared it to our Honda's and it is very similar. Sound levels are also similar.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dieselguy. We belong to that forum so we will go over and take a look. We get more reliable info here(I think)
Wrenchtraveller..The ETA to delivery is 8 weeks on the 4 slide unit which is Ok by us as by that time we may be able to use it.Talked to the City service dept here today and they said they have 2 Kipors and they use them hard with no problems to date..It is true that a Honda dealer will NOT work on a Kipor..however there is a Equipment supply store about 1 mile from here and I asked them if they worked on kipors.. their answer..It is a Honda to us..bring it in..we can work on it.. The biggest thing is noise level Honda EU 3000 = 48 50DB
kipor 3500ti 62-65 DB.. That is significantly louder..But not bad...
AND..80% of the kipor parts are interchangeable with the Honda...Don't know which 80%.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
richfaa, what does a guy that is against boondocking plan on doing with a generator? The Kipor that was in Quartzsite was an equivalent to the Honda 2000i.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My definition of boondocking is FAR from what was going on at Quartzsite. 120V lights, TV, A/C and all the comforts of home is not boondocking.Instead of pluging into CG power we plug into a generator..I can handle that..except for the sanitary sewer hookup and even then the honey wagon comes around every day if you want..Boondocking....HA.. I say...HA.

MOC boon docking is right is right up our alley.Is there a guy who will drain your gray tanks every day..we like to shower often. We are looking at the kipor gen that will run BOTH A/C's note that we did not order the fireplace so we will be roughing it.. Sign us up for quartzsite this season.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
When I was searching for a generator.The Kibor was on my short list.As was the Honda and the Yahama.The Kibor was a lot cheaper then the other 2 price wize.The hting that worried me on the Kibor was warrenty service.So I debated and went with the Yahama.Payed a little extra and got a 4 year warenty on it.It powers up my AC with no problem,running lights and TV`s with fridge on electric as well as heater too.If I need to put any thing else on the load I have to switch over to propane to run a toaster or micro-wave.I do believe the Kibor is a good generator and will serve you well-I just went a different way.Of course I spent the money to go that different way.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Can't find the Warranty period for the Kipor,,any Kipor owners know???? I just can't see paying all that money for a Honda generator..Why do I feel that I am paying for the name..Am also looking at the Yahama.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
OK guys, Doug gave a good report on my Kipor at QZ. On the way home it would start. The power was out at the RV park we were at and the owner said it was ok to use the gen. It is now in for warrenty. Will let you know the results. I believe the warreny period is (let me go check) I'll be dammed the owners manuel does not state the warrenty period. I'll look futher and let you know.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
richfaa - The waranty period on the Kipor is one year from date of purchase. I am looking at my warranty registration as I type. Their warranty address is P.O. Box 31567, Tuscon, AZ., 85751-11567. Their phone number is 1-800-521-8559. The big generator will work great and do what you want. Just have your wife help you lift it out of the truck. The 2,000 weighs 44 lbs and I'll bet the 3,500 weighs double that. For a good deal look at the website as follows: www.toolking.com.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Sears 3.5KW that we have now weighs over 175lbs, I think the 3500 is listed at 132lbs.We are leaning towards the Kipor.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Is that 3500 going to handle the 2 A/Cs we have, Rich? As long as other electrical useage in the coach is "normal"? I realize that starting both at the same time, or running both on high could cause some problems, but other than that?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have not run the numbers because I do not know the Amp draw of the 15K and 13.5k A/C but I kind of doubt it.

Watts= Volts X amps..so I need the amps...
Old 02-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

My definition of boondocking is FAR from what was going on at Quartzsite. 120V lights, TV, A/C and all the comforts of home is not boondocking.Instead of pluging into CG power we plug into a generator..I can handle that..except for the sanitary sewer hookup and even then the honey wagon comes around every day if you want..Boondocking....HA.. I say...HA.

MOC boon docking is right is right up our alley.Is there a guy who will drain your gray tanks every day..we like to shower often. We are looking at the kipor gen that will run BOTH A/C's note that we did not order the fireplace so we will be roughing it.. Sign us up for quartzsite this season.
What you describe in the first paragraph is boondocking. Not being hooked up to CG power or sewer or water. Many people boondocking have and use a generator. That is still boondocking. What you are referring to is Primitive camping, not boondocking.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:03 AM   #17
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I prefer full hook ups but I also like a generator for when you want to have a nice extended lunch break while travelling. Put out the slides, run the microwave , and watch the news on TV.

Also there is the odd time we will stay in a Wallmart parking lot when we are on the road and again it is nice to have power.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:09 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am just kidding about boondocking..The definition of boondocking is whatever you what it to be. I know folks who think that boondocking is being more than 30 mins away from a wallmart or a major mall. Actually every time you stop at a flying J for lunch in the camper you are boondocking.We have always had a generator and have used it many times.We also did primitive camping although not so much anymore because our campers got to big to fit into the primitive areas and most of the primitive areas do not allow generators anyhow. We plan on "boondocking" at Quartzsite next season and we MAY not put out the satellite dish..Got to draw the line somewhere////
Old 03-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #19
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
OOPS there is a word missing in my previous post in the thread. The Kirpor would not! start. Took it back to the seller here in town and today he called and told me the local Kirpor rep told them to give me a new one. Great news.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On the Kipor generators. There are not many dealers around but there are more and more coming on board. The Kipor has only been in the USA since 2003.Our Montana Dealer just took them on. The good news is as posted above,If anything at all goes wrong they just give you a new one since there are few repair facilities around. They have a good record in Europe where they are the # 2 selling generator and they are big in Australia and New Zealand. Oh..according to the literature I am now reading the Warranty is now 2 years.