Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
Montana_5019

M.O.C. #5019
Kitchen slide out 3400RL

When kitchen slide is closed the fender skirts do not match and one overlaps the other. We are in the process of buying a 3400RL and wonder if the other ones out there are the same. It really looks bad.

Montana_5019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
We also have an "06 and the skirt doesn't line up. We didn't notice till the slide was in and at home. True doesn't look too nice, but with the slide in and parked in the pole barn for the winter and when it's not in use I'm not too concerned.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
We just bought a new 3400RL, ours also doesn't line up. They use the same fender trim for the slide and the fixed wall. Seems like Keystone could come up with something a little better.
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum. I don't think that it is unusual for the fender skirts to sit ajar to some degree. We mentioned it to our dealer and he said it was "normal". Everything out of whack seems to be "normal" if they don't want to do anything with it. Fortunately, it was not too bad and we've just learned to live with it.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The fender skirt on my kitchen slide overlaps and is not 100% perfect, but I would say it is 99% on being as close as it is going to get. Actually the only reason I even noticed it the first day is because of the overlap, but with the edge of the slide being directly over the top of the wheels there is not really another way to have solved this problem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:20 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I've never noticed this and I really think it doesn't matter. It looks okay when the Monty is set up and that is what you are most of the time and also when visitors (in the CG who don't have a Montana) come around to take a look. On the 3400, I don't see what they could do to change this.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #7
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Another 06 owner and same here, doesn't match up.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

Same here, ours also didnt match. But I made a little change, and things look much better!

On ours, the black rubber side seal mounted on the back side of the right portion of the slide squeezes up against the fixed portion of the wheel skirt and pushes it in as the slide moves in. Since this portion of the seal serves no purpose other than to interfere with the wheel skirt, I cut off the lower 6" or so. Now the slide mounted wheel skirt settles right up against the fixed portion of the wheel skirt leaving about an 1/8" horizontal gap. The only misalignment is at the very bottom where the fixed wheel skirt curves alittle further under the trailer. - I recommend that Montana make this change on all the 3400's they make!

I hope I have made myself clear. I am referring to the black rubber seal that squeezes up againt the sidewall of the trail when the slide is all the way in. These seals serve their full purpose on the left and top portions of the slide since all portions of these seals squeeze up against the trailer sidewall. This is not the case on the right side as the lower portion of this seal does nothing more than interfere with the fixed wheel skirt - pushing it in when the slide is in.

PS, there is another small change that can further improve the situation if the above does not fully satisfy you.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rick, is it possible to post a pic of this? If you need help, check with Glenn. Would really like to see this, and your fix, before I buy my 3400. Thanks.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
David,

I will gladly post a photo but may not get to it before Christmas. Unfortunately, because of laws in our residential area we must store our trailer at another location. Hopefully I will get over there - perhaps this weekend.

Rick
Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rick!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening and a Merry Christmas to All,

I now have some pictures of the change I made to the kitchen slide on my 3400RL. My problem was that when the kitchen slide retracted, the rubber seal on the lower right portion of the kitchen slide would come into contact with the portion of the fender skirt that was hard mounted to the trailer side. This interference would cause the hard mounted fender skirt to bend in under the trailer wheel well as the kitchen slide fully retracted.

I solved this problem by cutting off the lower portion of this seal. The first picture is taken from the back side of the lower right portion of the kitchen slide while in its fully out position. I am pointing to the portion of the seal that I cut off.

The second picture shows how things now look with the kitchen slide all the way in. Looks much better.

If you look inside the wheel well with the kitchen slide fully closed, you will see that neither of the seals shown in the first picture serve any purpose anyway.

By the way, in talking to another person about his 3400RL, he had to also loosen the 2 right-most screws as shown in the second picture (that hold the fender skirt to the trailer side)and place a wooden shim between the back-side of the fender skirt and the outside of the trailer wall. This caused the hard mounted skirt to tilt outward a little at the bottom - thus making the final alignment a little better. He then retightened the screws previously loosened.

Hope this all makes sense.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
rickfox,
Thank you for posting the pictures. I have added this to my list of things to check when I bring the coach out of winter storage. I am going on my 3rd summer with this coach and so far have not noticed any trouble with the fender skirt or the kitchen. I have been lucky as I have not seemed to have any leaking issues with any of the slides either. I wish I had more room in the garage so I could get along the side of the coach and do some work as well as be able to open the slides while it is stored inside for winter. Again, thanks for posting your solution to this problem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:33 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great pics! Thanks, Rick! Seems like something that could have been corrected on the line, before leaving the plant. Not that complicated of a fix, is it? And I guess I'm a little confused as to why they put a weather strip in that area anyway, if you say it's unnecessary to seal anything at that spot against the outside elements.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:41 AM   #15
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Rick,

Thanks for the info!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote