Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #21
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rich & Helen, Make sure you get a Costco Club price for a new Montana. I saved a lot of money by getting that price from a Seattle dealer and then I found a dealer here in British Columbia that beat the Costco deal a little and saved me over 9000 bucks on the best deal I could get locally.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #22
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dusty and Don, Are your Shnauzers minis or standards? I got a SS from Skansen Kennels.
We love him now but the first two years were very difficult. He wanted his own dog and we got him a female Doberman Pincer. He really likes her and so do we.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #23
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Montana Sky, I asked the same question When I first saw it at the factory. It was explained to me that it is positioned in such a way that it would be somewhat self cleaning, similar to a visor on the back of an SUV that pushes water down the back window to help clean it.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Rich & Helen, Make sure you get a Costco Club price for a new Montana. I saved a lot of money by getting that price from a Seattle dealer and then I found a dealer here in British Columbia that beat the Costco deal a little and saved me over 9000 bucks on the best deal I could get locally.

I never thought of that///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #25
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Thanks Ray. We bought our 2980RL from you this spring!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ray, is that polished steel - not glass, I hope? First pothole would be bad for glass at any location right above the pin box, I think??? Maybe not... And why not come up with a easily detachable shield (looks like there is room for it) that would keep the bugs, dirt, grime, etc from even knowing there's a mirror there? Maybe even a slider door that pulls down/across it? You really don't need that mirror while your going down the Interstate at 65 (or whatever) mph, do you??? Only for hooking up and unhooking at a campsite, I would think, unless I'm missing something? Watch it while you pull test, or as you are leaving the CG, stop at the entrance... then run out and put the shield on for the highway.

Another problem I see with a mirror... (technical people help me out here) as soon as you crank the 5ver right or left, you will lose sight of your hitch... unless it's convex, which greatly reduces your detail in the mirror ("Objects are larger than they appear" on it?). Unless everyone always backs their Montana EXACTLY STRAIGHT back everytime into their camp site? Or maybe it has sensor technolgy (some high end car... can't remember which one, that has it's headlights actually turn in the direction you are turning) that turns the mirror in proportion to your turning angle, which keeps the hitch squared with your line of sight at all times? OK that was a stretch...

I'm sure someone will be by shortly to point out that since I don't even HAVE a 5ver yet, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, and explain this a little more clearly to me.

Wow... that was enough negative to depress everyone over what might be a really good idea. I know... I know... "Who let that guy in this thread???"
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don and Rich, fill me in on this deal???
Old 12-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #28
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am not sure how it works on your truck, but with mine I can see the hitch and kingpin as I back under the coach. I can see it by either turning around and back up while looking over my shoulder or I can turn down the rear view mirror. Since I have the Superglide I do not need to do the "pull test". I do not see any reason to be watching the kingpin while driving forward, once I am hooked forward is the direction I like to pay attention to. I guess since I have not seen this new option I should not knock it until I try it. My suggestion take the cost of the mirror and making it fit into the front cap and upgrade that Quest dvd system.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Don and Rich, fill me in on this deal???
I don;t know dave/I know Costco has a auto discount plan..I never thought about RV's. check out www.costco.com I will run out to the store and get detials...
Old 12-06-2005, 02:11 AM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rich... will do!

Dave, I just had questions on how a mirror on the front of a Montana Cap would function, as you can see. Curious if I am way out in left field in my thinking on this (not the first time, if you've read some of my other posts). I like you're idea on the Quest system! Don't we have any options to that sound system??? With all the negative posts about the Quest system on this forum over a long period of time (haven't seen anyone rushing to the defense of Quest on any of these SCATHING comments I've read), you might think, maybe an upgrade option, at least, could be offered. Montana/Keystone has a good track record in being responsive to many other chronic problems brought up on MOC.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 AM   #31
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks for the new look at the Monty's. Looking at the docking system, I don't see a way to get the out side water throw the entry door. Am sure its there just can't make it out? With the enclosed door this will maybe help with the outside shower freezing up?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:20 AM   #32
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
You have to find a Montana Dealer that offers Costco Pricing.
You probably can do as well by wheeling and dealing but this cuts out all the mind games and of course if you have a Trade in, this complicates matters. I like selling my RVs privately and then dealing without a trade.

The Dealers that belong to the Costco Plan will not give you a price until you give them your membership number. Foleys RV in Wa state is a big dealer with a few Montanas in stock and do a search and you will find thier site. They will email you a price on any unit in stock or if you want to do a factory order, they will give you a price. They are very nice to deal with and I was all set to buy from them until another dealer closer to me beat the Costco price on an 06 Montana 2955RL that had every option we wanted. Good luck and remember there is a very large markup on RVs and what you are told you are getting for your trade in is a very inflated price.
As an example, my last RV I just sold privately 2 months ago for 19000 bucks , If I would have taken the best deal a local dealer offered me on a Cougar, by comparing the Costco price I was actually getting 9000 for my old RV. Now this was on a Cougar which is a much lower priced unit than a Montana. This is why I decided to get the Montana because I got it for the MSRP of a Cougar and the Montana is a much more upscale unit. We are very pleased with the Montana and this is the 7th brand new RV we have purchased and by far the best built of any of them.
I have had it for a month, crawled all around it. I am impressed and I am very fussy by nature.
All my other new units, I had doors to re-align, switch plates to straighhten , and numerous cosmetic flaws to repair. So far, all I have done on this Montana is put a safety switch on the hydraulic unit to prevent accidental use of the slide button. Take care, Don.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, that new cap looks great! And the additional 30% turn radius would be enough to eliminate us ever needing to pop the slider.

On the question of getting a hose into the water center, if it's like other rigs there are openings in the bottom to slide the hose through.

On the mirror on the new cap, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the main purpose is to line up hitch and pin while backing to hitch up. Not all of us can see the hitch in our truck, especially those of us with crewcab and toolbox across the back. I can see mine if I stretch up a ways but it would sure be more convenient to have that mirror.

As for the mirror getting dirty, since it's purpose does not appear to be for use while driving down the road but for hitching up, I'd just wipe it off before hitching. I don't really see any other purpose for the mirror but do think it's a nice touch for those of us it would help.

I'm anxious to see the new rigs and all the changes in person. I sure like the pictures of the new front cap. Very attractive. Now to see it for real.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:17 AM   #34
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
So I guess mine is a 2006.25 and we are seeing the 2006.5's ehehe
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:36 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That hitching mirror would be a great help to me since we have the fold a cover and can not see the hitch.There are a lot of the new features that look really good.Hope we can stay with the Montana.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for clearing that up, Steve. I guess hitching up would really be the only time someone would really need it... although, as Rich, mentioned... that "only time" is very useful. How about having a pane of glass (mirror) in that location? No problem?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #37
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Thanks for the pictures. I really like all the new storage in the bedroom. We have 6 drawers, but they are not as high as the one shown. Also like the TV cabinet and storage. Much easier to use than our setup. What is the 30 prototype? I sure like the counter by the door.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:03 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well seeing that we were going to order a 3670rl we see this as a speed bump,will slow us down but not stop us.Will wait and see what Montana comes up with.We will look at this realignment as Montana reacting to the changing economy and making necessary changes to stay afloat.Our first choice was the 3295 but when Helen saw the wide openness if the 3670 she changed her mind.The 3295 would be OK by me BUT Helen chooses floor plan.We DO like the changes we have seen so far.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:19 AM   #39
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I have placed the bottom half one of those lenses that the class A's use if they can see out the back window in the middle at the top of may truck rear window. It lets me see the hitch in the rear view mirror. The boss says my alignment has improved 1000 percent. (with the trailer and truck, not in bed) They are square plastic and stick on the rear window. Cost about $10 at pep Boys or Advance auto parts or even Walmart sometimes.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #40
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
RADHAZJOE, picts please?