Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Mud Dobber Screen???

I was told when we picked up our 2955 that we needed to make sure that we get a "mud dobber" screen and put it in the vent on the curb side of the coach. They said it was the furnace vent but I think it might be the refrigerator. In any case he said that these hornets or birds can build a nest in there and then the warranty wouldn't cover it.

They didn't have any of those screens there so the last time I was at CW I picked up a square one that looked like it would fit. Yesterday I took the vent cover off and there really is no way I could use a screen like this, even if was the correct size which it isn't. The vent cover as a longer "pipe" about 10" long that inserts in another larger one in the wall.

My question is two fold...... has everyone else been told the same thing and have you run into the same thing, at least on the 2955 for all you folks out there. Maybe there is something made that will work but I don't see how based on the configuration of this vent.

As always, thanks!

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The way that I protect the back side of the frig from bugs and other varmits is to use a piece of standard fiberglass screen door screen. Pull the covers off, cut the screen a couple inches larger than the covers, replace the covers with the screen behind and cut it down to size in the grooves with a carpet knife after you have locked the connectors in place. The twist lock connectors for the covers might be a little hard to push through the screen, if so, just slit the screen a bit where they go through. A slit will also be required to thread the drain through to the outside.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You can get a pair of small round screens that cover each of the furnace vents. Depending where you are, and the time of year, various critters seem attracted to these vents. I pulled a very dead tree frog out of mine. (Note the Suburban furnace instruction manual says something about not using them because they may restrict air flow, but I think this in just CYA stuff on their part - dead tree frogs don't do much to help air flow either!.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

I was told when we picked up our 2955 that we needed to make sure that we get a "mud dobber" screen and put it in the vent on the curb side of the coach. They said it was the furnace vent but I think it might be the refrigerator. In any case he said that these hornets or birds can build a nest in there and then the warranty wouldn't cover it.
mac
Mac:
I'm sure they were talking about the furnace outlet. Mud daubers really make their homes inside the furnace and the squirrel cage of the fan. You can buy those screens from any RV dealer that sells accessories. Cost is about $10-12 (when I bought my last ones). They clip on the furnace output real easy. Instructions are provided.

You really don't want mud daubers to get in because it'll cost you a furnace repair.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Prior to our 5er we had a class "a" motor home that birds had built a nest in the furnace vents. Had to take the thing apart to get all of it out then covered them with screens. Put screens on the Monty as soon as we got it home.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I must have bought something completely different even thought they called it a mud daubber screen. There is absolutley no way in h**l I can install this screen. My vent has a long tube that inserts into another one deep in the trailer wall, the screen could in no way fit over it or under it either one. Either that or I'm dumber than a box of hammers (anyone who knows me would go with that one!).

I must not be describing my issue correctly, but if someone understands I'd appreciate learning how to get one of those darned screens on there!

mac
Old 11-08-2005, 12:02 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Doesn't the screen go on the door?
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
There are several different types of screens available. Make sure you have the right one for the model of furnace you have. If you have the right one it is very obvious.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Most of the mud daubber screens on the market today will not fit on the 2005 Montanas or newer. One dealer told me that if I ever had trouble with my furnace, the first thing he would look for is a mud daubber screen. He said that they restrict the flow of air into your furnace, and it will void your warranty. Don't know if that is true. He said to put duct tape over the vent. The furnace will not start because it is not getting any air. So you don't have to worry about ruining your furnace with duct tape over the vent. Hope I'm making sense. And if your in a warm climate, you won't need the furnace.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Gene,

Well that would explain a lot, I don't see anyway you could put a screen on this vent. I'm not using it in the Winter yet, but since I live in Colorado you need the furnace even in the summer when you're at 11,000 feet.

Maybe this is one I should run past Keystone?

mac
Old 11-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #11
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Check these out. I put the M300 screens on mine, so Iknow they will work.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...uber%20Screens

Select mud dauber screens and then look at the M300

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:13 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gene Chaltry

Most of the mud daubber screens on the market today will not fit on the 2005 Montanas or newer. One dealer told me that if I ever had trouble with my furnace, the first thing he would look for is a mud daubber screen. He said that they restrict the flow of air into your furnace, and it will void your warranty. Don't know if that is true. He said to put duct tape over the vent. The furnace will not start because it is not getting any air. So you don't have to worry about ruining your furnace with duct tape over the vent. Hope I'm making sense. And if your in a warm climate, you won't need the furnace.
I talked to an authorized Suburban repair technician that said the screens DO NOT restrict air flow and DO NOT void the warranty. Mine have been on for over 5 years with no problem.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 AM   #13
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gene Chaltry

Sounds like a great dealer there. The first thing he's going to look for is a reason to deny warranty coverage. I wonder how many repeat customers he gets?

Gary

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wileecoyote985

Check these out. I put the M300 screens on mine, so Iknow they will work.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...uber%20Screens

Select mud dauber screens and then look at the M300

Gary
These look exactly like mine. I used them on our 2001 and moved them on to our 2005. Both furnaces worked fine with these installed.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #15
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I made all my own out of a fine mesh screen wire that you can get at Lowe's. I held mine on with tie wraps on the refrigerator panels and wire on the ones that get hot.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:50 AM   #16
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
None of the screens available would fit our 2005 3500RL.
I found a sink strainer at Wal Mart that we're using.
It has a metal band around the edges that just fit under the
head of the 4 screws in the furnace exhaust plate.
It has worked well so far, been on there since March or so.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCP

I made all my own out of a fine mesh screen wire that you can get at Lowe's. I held mine on with tie wraps on the refrigerator panels and wire on the ones that get hot.
Ditto..been doing that for over 10 years..no problems..little..work great. cost
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #18
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Ok, I'm an idgit, but mine still has to be different because I can't figure out how I could even make one. Can someone either send a pic or type REALLY slow to explain this to me?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:28 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've used mud dauber screens on every fifthwheel we've owned since 1995 and wouldn't be without them, at least in this part of the country. There are several shapes and styles so take a look at your furnace outlet so you know which to purchase. If yours is like ours, it takes the one with two round screens in a rectangular base. Mud daubers like the smell of propane and will definitely build a nest in there and then you'll find your furnace doesn't work. That "mud" is nasty to try to get off, too. We had mud daubers build a nest in our water inlet box. I guess they got in through the opening for the hose. There are still bits of that mud in there I cannot break loose.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote