Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
owenwetzel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3344
Awning Arm Anchors

Has anyone used the awning arm anchors that screw into ground? And if so are they stable during a storm?
Getting tired of banging my head on awning arms thought along with tie downs and deflappers they might help. You would think after awhile and a few bumps I'd learn to duck. lol. The older I get the shorter the memory.

owenwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have used them and found them to be effective on routine winds. Be assured that there are some winds that can take your awning off no matter what you use to tie it down.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
I use metal tent stakes 10" x 3'8" to hold mine in the vertical position. The cork-screw hold downs add strength and will increase stability, but in any storm I'd just roll it up. You can't predict mother nature...

Dave
Montana_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:08 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Ditto to all the above. You can have the awning ripped right off your rig and still have it securely fastened to the ground. I have seen it happen.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:44 AM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I have never used them but my Father has always used them, but also has lost his awning more then once. As Stiles has posted there are times that they will not work.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #6
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We bought a set of the corkscrew-type a couple of weeks ago. Like others, we use these in conjunction with deflappers to stabilize the entire awning. So far so good! HOWEVER, I did note that they are relatively easy to pull out of sandy soil by hand. Stiles is right, and like Dave, we roll ours up in inclement weather as a precaution.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:45 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've used those anchors but prefer the ones from CW with the straps that wrap around the awning tube then are attached to a spring at the bottom which then are attached to the screwin anchors. I don't put the awning arms vertical very often but I think I'd still use the noted straps and also use anchors on the awning arms if I put them vertical. That plus I use six (3 sets of 2) awning deflappers, 3 deflappers per side. This seems to withstand some pretty good winds but I'd still retract the awning in strong winds or projected strong winds. The one time we lost an awning it was not strapped down nor did it have any deflappers on it. We had no wind for a month, then one burst of 60 mph wind took it out while we were gone from the rig. That was at Walnut Hills CG in Virginia. Lesson learned. I also saw a sudden dust devil take an awning completely off and toss it over the roof of the TT. It hit the top of a Class A two sites away. That was at The Voyager in Tucson, AZ.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We do pretty much what Steve does except we have (if we need) 5 flappers for each side. We use the strap kind that has velco closures. We found them to be better than the big plastic paddle type. Where we were in Northern Calif was very windy. We followed the lead of many in the park and used the tie down straps Steve mentioned. We attached them to concrete blocks that you use for deck posts. We screwed a big eye in the wood block that is in the concrete block and then attached the spring to the eye. To make it look better we put them in a big square flower pot and then planted flowers around the concrete block. Looked really nice. Of course this was when we parked for a long time. I think we still plan on using the concrete blocks. They also help to keep the rug from blowing away.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good point, Sue. I use the same kind of deflappers you do. Small head with velcro to snug them up. I also learned the hard way to just snug them up. A couple of years of pulling them really tight resulted in bent awning arms. Sigh.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I do as the above but I only put one arm vertical. Usually the one with the most foot traffic goes vertical while the other stays attached to the trailer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
owenwetzel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3344

Thanks for the info. We use 2 sets of deflapers per side and tiedown strap. Gone through some winds already. We were at Ocean Lakes in SC in Feb.. Got caught by 30mph + so when wind eased rolled up awning. An hour later had wind gusts at 50+. My Wife got a scare when the first gust hit she was sitting at dining table playing sol on laptop and the top of slideout tilted in about 8 inces so we pulled in the slides for an hour also.
owenwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 PM   #12
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
A repairman from Jayco factory told me that if you put both arms down that it would weaken the awning 50% Now I put 1 down & use screw in anchors.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We've heard the same thing. When we do put the arms down, we do what Glen does and only put the one down where all the traffic is, usually where the TV or car is parked. I like it better that way but we always seem to be where there is afternoon winds.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:03 AM   #14
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I use a pair of the paddle type in the middle and 2 pair of the velcro type above and below the paddles. I keep the awning supports on the trailer and use screw in (dog stakes from the pet store)with ratchet type straps on each end of the awning. We usually hang wind chimes or kites on the arms to keep from walking into them. Barb doesn't have a problem but my 6'4" can usually find low hanging objects. PS, I use foam water noodles on the bedroom slide also.

The Oregon coast can really blow at times and we watch the weather to store the awning if it looks like it could get bad. I have been outside at 2 am in my pj's locking everything down in a driving rain and it is not fun. So I usually batten down the hatches before I go to bed. Sleep much better without the flapping and banging. Although, last month I locked everything down and the wind came up in the night and a tap tap noise woke me but I decided to let it go till morning. Only thing I could find in the am was about 6" of the awning strap had been fluttering and the loop had left black marks on the side of the trailer. Now I tuck it up under the awning. It must slap the side going down the highway also. Will see if I can shorten it about 4".
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote