Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Stablization

I was just thinking(and it got smokey in the room) has anyone thought of pulling the brake pin near the king pin to lock all the wheels. I may be off base here but can it be done and is it ok for the braking system? Of course we would probably forget to put the pin back in after we hook back up, maybe not cause it right there. Any thoughts on this. Of cousre you would still use your other chalks etc...

mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is an interesting thought. I would have to study the mechanism some more to do it. Need to know the possible ramifications of that action. It is food for research and thought since I don't really know.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Good thought, but it would run the coach battery down and might damage the brake magnets. I wouldn't recommend it.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I agree with Gary. It would wear your battery down and the wheels would be sending out clicking sounds like crazy. I periodically pull the pin before I take off on a trip to ensure the brake is working properly.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
D'Oh!

I thought, when I read the topic, that this was a thread about MENTAL stability.

My bad.

I'm with the NAY side. When the pin's pulled, power goes to the brakes. And that uses the batteries up. Maybe even faster than the charger can replace it. Not to mention the highly likely possibility of heating up the magnets on the brakes.

You can get just the same effect by using "Rocker Stoppers," between the wheels. Or any of the similar products.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:01 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta agree with the rest. Pulling the brake pin is not your answer.
Below is the Deluxe Tire Locking Chocks that I use to lock the wheels. One on each side.

The Deluxe Tire Locking Chocks and others are available at Camping World
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:55 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
A definate no-no....the above statements of all the bad things that can happen say it all.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:14 AM   #8
Montana_3852

M.O.C. #3852
I'm with glenn and lorraine..I use the wheel chocks and they work Great!!
Montana_3852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:23 AM   #9
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
In addition to all the above responses, I have read that leaving the pin out of the brakes for an extended period of time will cause the solenoid to become magnetized such that the brakes will not release even when you put the pin back in. That pin is for emergency break-away only.

Spring for chocks.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:43 AM   #10
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
It was just a thought, but you never know, I wasn`t thinking about the electrical, and that makes alot of sense. I made a chalk out of wood and 3/4" threaded rod simular the Glenn and Loraine`s and it works great. Just a little thinking and would have to agree with all of you. Thx for the input as I know I can always rely onthis site for it Mark
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote