Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Montana_3179

M.O.C. #3179
Montana 3650RK

We've just joined and are getting ready to order a 3650RK. We have questions and would appreciate feedback, especially from owners of a 3650RK. We've downloaded a check list and intend to use it, but would like any general comments in addition to some specific questions:

1. Any problems we need to be aware of with the 3650RK?

2. We're thinking of installing a propane generator. Any insights? Keystone says they will have an Onan dealer in Elkhart install a 5500 Marquis Gold before shipping to the dealer. Good idea, or have it installed locally? Anyone have a better idea? Does the generator run off the tanks that come with the rig, or do we need a separate bottle?

3. We know a Reese 16k tilt hitch is OK, but should we add a margin of safety and go with a 20K hitch instead?

3. We'd love to have the optional 10qf refer - any reason it's so expensive? Are the 2 extra qf worth it? We'll be mostly short vacations, but will have a few 1 month and a 3 month adventure in the next few years.

Anything we need to know but don't know to ask? Thanks ahead of time for all you help.

Rick
2005 F-250 Diesel 4X4 long bed

Montana_3179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rick

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new home on wheels

As far as the refer, have no idea why so expensive, for us, not worth that much extra $$. We do not full time, as a lot of our members do, but we do some extended time, last year 13 weeks at once. We do just fine with the smaller refer, buy groceries a little more often, pack it FULL, but, we do manage ok. Al loves to eat, so it is used!

Others will be along to address some of your other concerns.

In the meantime, use the Search feature here on the forum and start reading. There is a LOT of great info out there on this forum. Have fun!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
We looked at this model...and liked it very much.....we decided on a 3500 Rl instead...but we maybe had different reason for getting it...I can tell you a couple things about RK's.....prepare to have things bounce around a bit more...our wildcat was a RK and we were always having to pick things up prior to putting out the slide. The other thing I would worry about long term is how the applicance's will hold up....being in the back..the frigde will take quite a beating as compared to others...but at least the Montana has shocks...so that should help. If you plan on spending alot of time in the kitchen/Dinning area...this is the greatest thing since slice bread...if you want to spend more time in the living area...you may want to look at other models. You did not say if your going to full time or not..but Montana makes a prety good unit no matter what model....I am not sure where or if they put the washer/dryer option in this unit...ours is in the very front...or at least the hookups
are.

As to the hitch...I went with a 20k unit...I like the added safety....I even added a bed saver for the Reese model we have...but thats just me...I am sure one day it will pay for itself (I hope not)....There is a big difference in a 16k and a 20k model...just look at them in person.....they tow the same.. and when we bought ours...they were less than 100 bucks in price...The other reason we got the 20 model...was at the time Reese only had one piece 16k model....the 20k was in two pieces...much easer to unload...I understand that many of the 16k's now offer two pieces to make it easier to take out. the other reason I went 20k is my parents have the same model we got...so I can tow them in a pinch...the other reason I got the 20k model is in cases other fellow RVers should break down and I am unloaded...I can help them out.... I have done this twice before....and I can tell you if makes one feel good to help out a fellow RVer...

I know you will like any model you choose with Montana...they are really nice.

Good luck..and happy RV'ing...keep us posted as to what yo get.

Montana_3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
We had the 3650RK, I guess the most inconvenient thing of it was the increased traffic on the carpet everytime some thing was needed from the kitchen and the island got to be a pain too. Other than that we only had one broken glass lid last year and it really was our fault for the way we stowed it.Our new unit we just purchased has a center kitchen which should be more practicle for us. Good luck!

Charlie and Sue
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome!

don't know about that model, we have a 3685FL, but they are all quite similiar. Gamer1624 is right about the bounce tward the rear of the trailor. ours has the rear bedroom and the W/D takes quite a beating...it broke loose twice!

we have the same generator and love it! works great! the LP is right off your regular tank ...so no extra tank is needed. well worth the money. the only draw back with LP generator is if you plan to use it alot in cold weather your better off with gasoline. the LP will "wax up" (so I'm told) and cost more in maintenance, but if your not planning on extensive use in cold weather...then LP is the way to go! we don't use our generator in the winter.

we have the 16K hitch...works fine and never had a problem, but knowing what I know now I would have gotten the 20K. the 16 is actually wider than the 20...I found that out the hard way when I ordered my custom truck body. the dealer specked it out for a 20 not knowing I only had a 16 and the had to retro fit my truck. I don't think there is much price differance.

we did get the larger refrig...I'm not sure it's worth the money though. I can't believe it cost so much more. I have to say when it came in, I was alittle disapointed in the size. I pictured it bigger! it is actually bigger, but to visually notice it is hard. it does give you extra room, but for the extra money I think I would travel with a small portable one and plug it in outside.I'm not sure I would buy it again. the only reason we did is because we spend so much time in it!

hope this helps, let us know if you think of anything else!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We already had the Reese 15k (not 16k) Classic when we bought this Montana and have had no problems with it and no qualms about using it. Our 3295RK has a higher GVWR than the 3650RK and we're heavily loaded at 13,980 lbs. I see lots of 16K Classics out there. As long as you don't exceed the hitch's ratings you'll be fine. If you're more comfortable with the larger hitch, go for it. Nothing wrong with that.

As for rear kitchen, maybe in other brands its a problem but in the Montanas it's not a big deal, from our experience. In more than 25k miles we've broken one dish and that was our fault. We do take some minor precautions, which Vicki can tell you about if you want. The dish we broke was before we started the precautions. The Montanas tow beautifully. As far as we are concerned, any concerns about rear kitchen damage is a non-issue with the Montanas if you just take a few simple and inexpensive precautions. And it doesn't even take much work. Just our opinion and experience.

We've not had a single appliance failure, either, and this Montana is coming up on 3 years old in July, over 23 months of that fulltiming. It's been to the west coast three times and the east coast four. Appliance failure might be a concern with some brands but the Montanas are very well balanced. The springs and shocks probably help, as well. There are a lot of rear kitchen Montanas (and other brands) out there and I haven't heard of rear-kitchen appliance failure being a problem. I don't want to pooh-pooh the thought too much; it's a good thing to consider, at least in some brands.

We've only once or twice had to move something so we could open the slides and that was because we forgot to put something away. We do not leave things laying on the counter or the computer desk in the back of our Montana. Thus we have nothing on the floor to hamper opening the slides. The sink is a handy place to put things. The oven is another.

We'd like to have the larger fridge but we also questioned that many dollars for just two cubic feet more. We still wonder if we made the right decision.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
JimnPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #1997
Rick, we bought the 3650RK in April and we love it. The island in the kitchen is used for a "cutting table" when I sew and is also helpful if you both are preparing the meal. As for bouncing around when moving we have not had a problem. I leave the coffee pot and other items on the cabinet and it doesn't move.Everyone that has seen ours can't believe the size of our kitchen. Seems as though when we have company we spend most of our time at the table anyway. We are full-timers and haven't had a problem with our "home on wheels". Good luck with yours and I don't think you will be unhappy with this model. We also love the fireplace...never thought that we would use it but South Texas has had an unusually cool and wet winter and the fireplace has been wonderful.
JimnPat is offline   Reply With Quote