Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Washer/Dryer closet to small

Has anyone with a2004/2005 3400RL or the new 3475RL installed a washer/dryer combo in it yet. Picked up our new one today and found out the closet next to the front door is too small (depth)to take our splendid washer/dryer with a vent from our old Montana. The door won't close. Got any suggestions.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren VA
2005 3475RL Montana/ Ford F350 Diesel

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We installed a Sear freezer in our w/d closet. Before we purchased it we checked the measurements on the W/d at Camping Worlds-- they were the same. But when we got the freezer installed the bi-fold would not close. We solved the problem by converting the bi-fold into 2 doors which opened in the middle. We had to purchase another set of hinges and two knobs. This might be a solution to your problem.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Now we know where the space for the kingsized bed came from.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:31 AM   #4
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We are considering a washer/dryer for our 3400. I looked on the Camping World web site and they have one that is only 18 1/2 inches deep against 23 3/8 of the Splendide. I can't get in our 5er at the moment, does anyone have the measurement of the depth of the cupboard. If they do I would appreciate it if they could give it to me. Thanks, Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:24 AM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Thanks for everyones input. The splendid washer is in, but I have to switch the hinges so the door opens in the middle. It closes but catches on the washer door handle. We also had to install a flat metal exhaust vent in the rear (which I happened to have one). The normal 4" vent hose won't work. With this all said and done we now have a splendid vented washer/dryer in the 3475. Campers Worlds spelndid washer are 22" deep. So is Sears stacked washes and dryers. The ventless ones are 18" deep but takes longer to dry the clothes. The washer/dryer closet is approx 26 inches deep. Not enough space to put a 4" vent hose on and angle it up to the vent. The flat metal vent was purchased out of a speciality mag that I had. It would have been easier if Montana would have given us a couple more inches of depth.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475RL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
Old 01-22-2005, 03:31 AM   #6
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Ken,so glad to read that yours fit. I know our stackable was a tight fit. We had the dealer install it. We love it. To my knowledge the Closet is the same size they have always been. I know it was a bit difficult getting ours in. They had to remove molding, doors etc. We vent straight back though in ours and don't have to go to the side wall. I'm sure that was easier that how you had to do it. When they installed ours they should have removed the door handle on the inside of the closet because it hits the dryer every single time and has caused a dent in the front of it. It took me the longest time to figure out what had caused that?

Our friends, Jim and Karan (MOC members) have a 3400RL and they have the same closet you do in yours. They had a stackable unit. My sister has a 3400RL and her doors already bi-fold, so maybe they changed that now?

Enjoy your new Montana and congratulations on it. We hope you have as many happy hours and miles as we have had on ours.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
This is my very first post! Last week we bought a 3400RL. We haven't picked it up yet but there's plenty of time as we won't be using it until next winter. We plan on going somewhere warm for a couple of months. Our dealer discouraged putting in a washer and dryer or the combination saying that they are sooooo small that about all you can wash at a time are a pair of jeans and a couple of shirts. Is that true? Impossible to do sheets? He also said that those that have them end up using the laundry at the campground. Am curious about the cost-----I believe he said that a set is around $2000 or so and the combination $1300 plus. I would appreciate hearing if others think they are worth the investment. Many thanks!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
Hi Marilyn,

Great to see you posting. I have been looking at post to make sure you finally made it.

Welcome to the MOC.

Can't help you with the washer but a lot of people here have them.
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mfoss, many of us have washer/dryer in our Montanas. Some have the combo, some, like us, have the stack. Vicki says she washes sheets in ours. They do hold less than the "normal" house units but really aren't as small as your dealer seems to think. They're apartment sized. Vicki will be along at some point so will let her post more particulars for you. We wouldn't be without our washer and dryer. Our dealer installed ours just before delivery in July, 2002. Total cost to us was about $1100 for the stack. Ours are made by Whirlpool and are serviceable at any Whirlpool service center. Sears and others make apt sized stacks that will work and you also can go with a combo.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #10
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Ours holds 14 pounds... can do sheets and pillowcases from a queen size bed in one load.

Obviously the dealer or "salsman" you talked to either doesn't camp or doesn't do the laundry. A lot of these guys will tell you anything to make a sale.... especially if what they are selling can't do what your asking for.

When we bought one dealer orderd thermopane windows and one air conditioner on all his units, his competition orderd dual air conditioners, and trashed the thermopanes... guess who we bought from.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
mfoss ... For the life of me, I will never understand why some salesmen make such ridiculous statements about RV washers and dryers. I'll admit that it took some adjustment to the smaller size w/d from the super-duper size we had when we had a stick house, but for the most part, it hasn't been a big deal. As the daughter of a one-time appliance repair man, I'm somewhat obsessive about not over-loading and tend to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for load sizes. But I can assure you that I can get a heck of a lot more per load than what that moron, errr, I mean, salesman, is trying to lead you to believe.

The washer/dryer thing is yet another personal preference issue ... I've met many people who actually like the social contact of going to a laundromat/campground laundry. I prefer having the w/d in our rig ... and that's why we're in our second Montana. The model we had before would not accommodate the w/d and Steve decided he didn't want to go to a laundromat either.

Whatever you decide on the w/d thing, I'm sure you'll love your 3400 ... I really like that floor plan.

Oh, and by the by ... welcome to the MOC!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We still haven't put the washer dryer in our 3400 - no time yet. But we keep looking and measuring. One thing we question. What is the vent in the ceiling in this closet?? Also has anyone been able to get the "Manufacturer"s Installation Instructions" as it says on the sticker on the inside of the outside wall. We don't have a real cooperative service department at our dealers. We are looking at the Splendid combo as we like the idea of keep some storage room.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Ken, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but this is the first I've seen an the new 3475How do you like it overall? This is the one that we would like to go fulltiming in this summer. Anything else we should know before we order?
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
It will be great when we actually get it. It came in and we found a couple of problems that had to be fixed. We also had an automatic satellite antenna mounted by campers world. The installer sort of messed up the cables and between the RV Dealer and Campers World (owned by the same dealer). And fix the sound on a couple of the speaker it will be great. I just left it with them to fix and came home to beat the storm here on the east coast. I was assured it will be ready monday. We like the floor plan and it appears that we will have plenty of room. It's equiped with every option with the exception of high gloss sides. I didn't want the extra weight. We were able to ordered it. The hitch weight is 225 lbs. It can carry 3000 lbs the way it is equipted. My email address is kv_taylor@hotmail.com if you need any more information.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475RL Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Ken, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but this is the first I've seen an the new 3475How do you like it overall? This is the one that we would like to go fulltiming in this summer. Anything else we should know before we order?