Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Propane question

I am currently using left tank. I want to hook up a tee to right tank and run BBQ off it. Is it possible to do this, or do I have to be using the right tank to be able to BBQ???

Thanks

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Phil and Cathy,
You can hook up to the right tank with a "T" and a extension hose that has the same fitting on the other end as the little bottle that you use on the Bar-b...
As the fitting comes off the tank you will need to turn on the right tank but you do not have to move the selector valve as it will be in line after your hook up. Make sure that what ever you are connecting it to has it's own regulator, most all bar-b's have them so should not be a problem.

One other word of caution, when cooking under the awning make sure the bedroom window is closed as all the smoke from cooking (burning)will go into your rig and set off the smoke detector. Spoken from a man of experience.

I have that set up and leave it all connected and the hose rolled up in the tank storage compartment and run it out the bottom when in use.

To add a little confusion I installed an adjustable regulator so that I can also use it on a High Pressure stove that does not have it's own regulator.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right...what rldriver said. I use these components;

Connect it to Walmart grill;
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Phil,

I just plumbed in this quick connect, so I can run any propane item off of the trailer.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also run mine off the right side tank, the door side. The grill says the source should be unregulated as it has its own regulator. So if yours has a regulator on the right side, be sure to tee into the line between tank and regulator.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i also do this on the right tank but he asked can you be using the left tank and hook to the right tank , no the rt tank is now shut off so you either have to move the left tank to the rt or get the rt tank filled as if you run the both on you are going to run out on prop and no back up

john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have both tanks open all the time. I run the grille off the right tank and the Montana runs off whichever tank the regulator is pointing to. Sometimes the right, sometimes the left. It is not a problem doing this. I leave the tee and connections connected all the time with the grill connector on the end. It has a checkvalve to stop the flow when the grille is not connected and has a cap to close it off as well. You could add a shutoff if that makes you more comfortable. I have a connector on the end that has two outgoing connections. One is the grille connector. The other is for an outside propane bottle. We often use a 100lb bottle in the winter. That connector is capped off when not in use as it does not have the checkvalve. I do shut off the bottle when connected to the outside bottle and use my onboard tank on that side as an extra reserve.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
Sounds like we have all come up with the same solution. Once I'm connected, I leave both tanks open and draw from either one.
I like the quick disconnect idea as an added improvement.

I did have one problem. Has anyone had the regulator on your BBQ start to leak? It was a first for me.

The Rainbirds
Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
No...I don't keep my BBQ long enough for regulator to fail as its the $19.99 Walmart special every other year.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote