Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
Ants

I have done best I could to seal off the underbelly to keep furry critters out, but can't seem to keep out the ants. We are presently bringing a group north from Fla. My best guess is that they are marching up the water hose. What do you do to keep out the ants? What do you use to get rid of them? The bride decided we would put down "grits" the thought process is the ants eat the grits, drink water, the grits expand, & no more ants. Worked in our garden at home, these guys thrive on it.
John

Old 03-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I've got some little ant traps we put out if we have the problem. It seems to work. http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Source-...ords=ant+traps
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have used a product called Terro you can purchase at all Hardware Stores comes in a bait trap or liquid just pour a little on a piece of cardboard or paper plate works great
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I use Vaseline smeared around all level up legs and at all spring ends to keep them from coming up into the 5'er also some around the electric cable and water hose and cable tv cable they don't cross just stop and turn around . It's a easy clean up and off we go. I keep a jar in my side compartment and re do at the next stop. And while parked at home. We have quite a few around the house and never see them in the 5'er. Hope this helps it's a cheap and easy fix to a terrible problem.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:44 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

I have used a product called Terro you can purchase at all Hardware Stores comes in a bait trap or liquid just pour a little on a piece of cardboard or paper plate works great
Terry now also has a spray and it works great. I just bought some at Ace Hardware.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:07 AM   #6
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
We just buy an insecticide at Walmart and spray around all tires, level up jacks, water hose at trailer connection, and power cord at trailer connection and have had no problems. If it rains, spray all again to be safe. One time, after spraying all ground points we still had ants and I was baffled as to how they got in. Looking over the trailer, I noticed a tree branch touching the rear air conditioner so I climbed up on the roof to see if that was the entry point and son of a gun it was! There was a line of ants going to and from the trailer on the branch to the tree trunk and down to the ground. Smart little suckers. Cutting the branch stopped that way in.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I don't try and stop them from getting in. Just too many access points. Another vote for Terro. It's neat and easy to use. Little bit on a piece of paper/cardboard and we never know if we have ants because we never see them. I really like simple! Jim
Old 03-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Don't waste money on anticides, buy a box of borax. The ants love it and take it to the queen. No more ants.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
Blk_Adventurer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12203
I had the same problem here in Florida, I found the places they like to party, strategically placed some Terro. They came and ate and never returned, three months and counting. I use it at home in Va, works everytime.

Good Luck
Blk_Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:01 AM   #10
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
I have been off line while traveling, thanks to all who made suggestions, I will try the terro, & Vaseline next time.
John
Old 03-28-2016, 12:43 AM   #11
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We live in south Florida, and the ants are relentless. It started with some little ants they call ghost ants i got rid of them, then it went to crazy ants then florida ants then too many to remember there names. we have used terro, ammro, ant barrier spray and it only seems to work for a little while or not at all some ants will not use the bait traps and the rain we have had this year forces the ants up out of the ground and they need places to go so your camper is the that place. I had to go and find the nest to directly eradicate them from my camper. and ended up calling orkin and had them spray and now i finally do not have them any more. The home remedy's if they work at all only work here or there because these ants that live here are not like any ants i have seen any where else in the country. Ohhh lets not forget the fire ants.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
x2 every word of it lol. Silly branch!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by madeforeachother

We just buy an insecticide at Walmart and spray around all tires, level up jacks, water hose at trailer connection, and power cord at trailer connection and have had no problems. If it rains, spray all again to be safe. One time, after spraying all ground points we still had ants and I was baffled as to how they got in. Looking over the trailer, I noticed a tree branch touching the rear air conditioner so I climbed up on the roof to see if that was the entry point and son of a gun it was! There was a line of ants going to and from the trailer on the branch to the tree trunk and down to the ground. Smart little suckers. Cutting the branch stopped that way in.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 AM   #13
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
We use a product called MouseFree. http://www.mouse-free.com/ We spray it on any the points of contact that rodents or crawling insects would use, like the 6 point leveling jack pads, cables, hoses, etc., and also on parts of the mainframe and axles. It doesn't cause rusting and cleans easily. It has a slight menthol odor and thus the deterrent. Since using it, we've not had any ants or rodent issues and we travel all over, including FL. It's available online and at certain dealerships. It's pricey, but if you buy two gallons of it, you can get a dedicated air sprayer with it at no extra cost. I use a small 3 gallon air compressor. Because it is a gelatinous product, it does attract dirt from the highway, but when we store our 5th, I use a power washer and it cleans up easily. I bought the two gallons with sprayer and use it a little more sparingly than what the company advocates and at the end of three years, I still have about a half gallon left. It's safe and easy to use.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote