Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
fasanjager
Established Member

M.O.C. #9889
Winegard Carryout with dual DVR

We have a 2010 3150RL. Thinking about getting a Winegard Carryout Satellite receiver. Wondering is anyone using the Carryout with a dual DVR receiver, we have Dish Network now and have the VIP 722k receiver in the S/B? Are you able to set-up to view different programs on the Bedroom and Living Room TV's from this one receiver, from what I see the Carryout can be set-up for two single receiver, but only one dual.

fasanjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I use Carryout with Directv, I can only view one satellite at a time. If programs are on same beam it is no problem. I tred hooking up dual feed for DVR but it will only record from primary connection, so I decided it was not worth the trouble
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
you might check out the tailgater I dont think you need to have a additional power supply to use it I believe it uses the power that the Sat Receiver generates not like the winegard it has 2 wires that have to be run 1 for power and the other for the signal.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Don,
From what Dish says, the tailgater will only work with the 211k, 211 and 411. It is not compatible with the VIP 722k.
Not sure about the Winegard and the VIP 722k.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I just helped my neighbor get his Winegard Carryout and DirecTV DVR installed yesterday. For DirecTV, the Carryout only sees satellite 101. This is the satellite that carries only SD programming. There is no HD with a DirecTV/Carryout combination.

The two RF feeds off of the Carryout can supply a dual tuner DVR or two normal receivers. The DVR tuners both see a signal and you *CAN* record two programs at one time. The concern about having to watch one satellite at a time is a Dish issue. DirecTV only needs one satellite (101) for SD programming. In some markets (usually smaller ones), the "local" channels are delivered on a different satellite (usually 119). [s]The Carryout doesn't see 119 (or any of the other DirecTV satellites - 99, 103, 110) so you won't get "locals" if you are in one of those unlucky areas. [/s]
Update: The Carryout will switch to satellite 119 if the tuner on the primary RF feed requests it. Then any other tuner(s) must also view a channel carried on 119. So if your "locals" are on 119 you can see them assuming you are within the coverage of the spot beam. There doesn't appear to be much SD programming on 119 so hopefully the Carryout will not have to move for you. It is amazing what you find when you read the manual.

I haven't tried it with a Carryout, but I have supplied a signal to a dual tuner DVR and a standard receiver at the same time from an 18" antenna. The 18" antenna had two RF feeds just like the Carryout. Running the two wires from the antenna into a 2x4 Winegard splitter provides four useable outputs. The only problem is getting all that wiring to the various receivers. But once you get over drilling holes in the side of your Montana, it is pretty easy. I am confident you can feed multiple receivers/tuners with the Carryout.

Be aware that the newer DirecTV receivers require SWM technology and will not work with the Carryout without buying some additional pieces parts.

The Carryout is a good solution for DirecTV users *IF* you can live with SD programming.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Carl ... no problem here with "only" SD. After John Wayne died and Clint quit making movies ... there just isn't much to watch. Perry Mason and Gunsmoke are on free over the air stations so I don't even need a satellite. Now which direction did I walk out of the ole foggies home????
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I pulled my living room slide in a litte bit and fed the second cable under so I could use DVR. Worked ok, I am subscribed to RV programming now so it works pretty well. I thin I get 2 satellites, 101 and 110
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use dish and the Winegard and get all three satellites and HD but we have to have two receivers (not the highest tech ones) and can only get programing from one satellite at a time so both TV's have to watch programing carried on the same satellite. Of course if you hook up external drives to them and record stuff at night one can watch live and the other recorded and it doesn't matter.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I had the opportunity to buy a slightly used Carryout from a friend for $200. Tried it with my 722, but would only get 2 of the 3 Dish Network sats (can't remember which). We tried it on another friend's Dish Network using another receiver (also can't remember which, but did not have DVR) and it worked perfectly. He got the good deal!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
We have a Directv SD DVR and had to run two separate cables from the carryout through the convenience center. The DVR successfully records two different TV channels at the same time. Have never been able to get local stations except when we are in our home cone. Have changed the billing address, but only receive local stations for a couple of hours. After dealing with several different techs, we have reverted to over the air for local stations. Depending on signal strength, that does not always work to well. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
The winegard Carryout has 2 outputs, the Tailgater only has 1 or did when we were researching them. If using 2 tv's with Dish with our Carryout, only the main output toggles between the 3 satelites for us. The other tv has to be on the same satelite as the main output for us anyways. Not quite what we were told at CW so buyer beware. Good luck.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

you might check out the tailgater I dont think you need to have a additional power supply to use it I believe it uses the power that the Sat Receiver generates not like the winegard it has 2 wires that have to be run 1 for power and the other for the signal.
Don, you only need the power wire to locate the sat. once that's done you can unplug the power wire and put it away.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Don, you only need the power wire to locate the sat. once that's done you can unplug the power wire and put it away.
Jack
Not with Dish, when I hook up HDTV, my wingard carryout uses 3 SATs 110,118, and 129. 129 is for HDTV. it works great for one TV but if you connect the second cable to the C-Out it will cause the C-Out to get confused if the other TV is using SAT 110 and the other TV is on HDTV 129, where Direct from what I remember uses one SAT and it is HDTV or regular TV. so running Direct the user can use the other port and not have any problems and they can also remove the power cable to the carry out.
Least ways this was my understanding of there workings.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
The 722 needs to have both inputs connected from the Carryout. The procedure is to connect the two inputs from the 722 to the carryout. Then power up the receiver After the receiver has power connect power to the carryout. The carryout will spend several minutes searching for the sats. Once found you will here it stop. The motors stop running in the carryout. At this point you run a switch test on the receiver. Once you have programing you can connect the HDMI out put to your first (main tv) then connect the coax to TV 2 in the bedroom. You can watch the same program in the bedroom but if you try to use the dual part of the receiver the carryout gets confused at what sat to look for and you can loose signal on both. Bottom line is you can use the 722 on the carryout but not the dual part of it.
dmacy is offline   Reply With Quote