Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Cold weather Storage Countertop broke

I didn't think cold weather storage was a problem until I checked on my Montana today. We had extreme cold last week...down to 30 below actual temp. Today I found about a 3 inch piece of the corian countop edge on the floor. It broke off near the the corner by the door. I think the corian shrink in the exteme cold and the plywood support was to close to the edge so the corian broke off. So of the opposite of ice creating cracks when it freezes and expands to break pipes if they can't expand. My dealer had me send pictures which he will submitt for warrantly since the camper was new last June. We will see....

iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109

Had our fiberglass one replaced last year, not an easy fix. Took a day plus a month for the order. At least they are slow right now.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
UPDATE 1/24/09: Well, kiss my grits! The "part hasn't come in . . . suppliers are having problems" stories were not true, and shame, shame, shame on our dealer for not being up front with us about the delay. After Keystone stepped in last week, I learned that the parts had been shipped in late September and the new countertop/sink unit had been installed by mid-October. And all those other parts that were a problem? They are no longer a problem. Everything was shipped months ago except for one item, which should have arrived by Friday or by this Monday at the latest.

Lucky you, Brad and Dory. My fiberglass/laminate or whatever-it-is countertop cracked in several places, including the sink. We took the rig to the dealer for the warranty repair or replacement in July of 2008. We are STILL waiting to get the countertop fixed and get our rig back. "The part hasn't come in . . . suppliers are having problems . . . "

There's more info on another forum here, but boy, the time it's taking for parts to come in is nothing short of ridiculous (assuming I'm getting a straight story from the dealer). I have taken up the issue with Keystone again.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
This is why I leave my heat on 45 degrees in the winter. I am terrified something like this would happen. I paid half as much for this thing as I did for my house. I don't let my house freeze all winter so I made it a policy to keep the heat on in the camper during the winter as well.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Carolyn,

I wonder if the company folded up. Hope not, as I think they still use that stuff on the bathroom sink on the new models.

Good luck on your order - I would assume you could push them into replacing it with the corian if you can't get the other. I aways figured that's what I would replace mine with if it cracked again - at least until now.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I think my answer/reply about the supplier being out of business probably belongs under the "Hey, Keystone--What I'd Like to Say" forum, because it address my countertop problem situation specifically, which isn't connected to the effect of cold storage on that part. So, to see what my news was today from my Montana dealer--shocker, someone called me --mosey on over to my "Help return my Montana . . . PLEASE!" posting under that topic. Here's a hint:
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
On our 08, we noticed the countertop has something "seams" that barely raised up when we got it. After a few nites of 40 below, those "seams" have really raised up. We are having dealer sort it out at the beginning of February. The service dept said it could take 6 weeks to get a new countertop.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Update. Keystone wants the countertop company to come out and repair it. Anyone have any experience with repair to corian? The damage is like a four inch chip out of the curved corner.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
My dealer notified me today that the corian people were out last Friday and repaired the big chip(4 inch chunk). He says you can not see where it broke off. We'll see??? I have not seen it yet since it is about 80 miles to my dealer. If it looks good and holds up I am happy they didn't have to replace it since that might have created a whole new set of problems.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Its my understanding that the fix you describe is what made Corian so marketable in the first place. glue, sand, and polish. On the residential applications, the sinks get glued in and sanded and I don't think you can even see where they join.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I watched one time as an installer put in a two piece Corian counter top in a house we were working on. He glued, clamped, sanded and polished it and I couldn't see or feel the seam when he was done and I knew where it was.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I pick her up today. You guys were right. The repair was great no sign of it at all. Looked perfect.