Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Furnace air flow

On another post Ozz put a filter on his furnace. I have a very weak air flow coming out of my floor vents and thought my fan may be full of dust. I did find some dust on the fan blades after pulling the furnace but still have a very weak airflow. Any ideas to help this or is it just normal. I guess I'm used to the blast you get in a stick house.

kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If it hasn't always been that way, it sounds like you may have a duct come loose/disconnected.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
yes, check all connections. make sure to check and tape the flanges at the furness.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I thought the same thing when we first got our unit. I learned a few things in trying to resolve an issue that wasn't one. I learned you can't expect the same kind of air flow you get in your house. I know in my 5'er I have 6 vents to heat about 300 square feet. Don't think you will find near that many vents in a 15'X20' room. If you get too much air flow out of these 6 vents it will make the unit feel "drafty" instead of warm. The main run in my living room has three floor vents in the pan duct. There is a deflector inside the pan duct right by the first vent. (stand on your head with a flash light and mirror to see it.) It was explained to me by the service manager that this is to prevent all the air in that duct run from exiting the system at the first register leaving no air flow to the other 2. Kind of makes sense. His final question led me to believe the system is working correctly. "Is the unit warm and does the furnace seem to cycle normal?" My answer is yes so I quit worrying about it. Hope this helps. Jim
Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tom and Kevin have good answers, and my friend Jim is also right on.
The duct when sized and installed right should be 'staged' that is large on the output end and progressively smaller as each register is added. In the quest for maximum profit and minimum comfort, the RV maker folks just install the same size ducting, the deflector does help that Jim mentioned. At the end of the duct you get better airflow, the start and middle, not so much. Our homes generally have strong blowers because they have to move enough air for the A/C system, that takes 5 or 6 times the airflow that heat requires. Even running on low, you get a lot of air.
I checked my furnace in the Monte, the supply vents were only half connected. It is good to check that.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Thanks for the info. I bought my Monty used and have used the furnace only one weekend and have not been in another Monty to see if mine is faulty or if that is standard flow. I think I would have to drop the belly coverings to check all the vent connections. The connections I can see are all connected.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
kjansen, what trailer do you have? On my 3400RL, the plastic encasement cover for the convenience hook-up center comes out by removing a bunch of screws, you have access to the back of the furnace at that area. I would check it there, if you have that unit. The back of the furnace is really the only connection point I would be worried baout. That aluminum tape they use comes undone.
Let us know if you need any help on this.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Tom and Kevin have good answers, and my friend Jim is also right on.
The duct when sized and installed right should be 'staged' that is large on the output end and progressively smaller as each register is added. In the quest for maximum profit and minimum comfort, the RV maker folks just install the same size ducting, the deflector does help that Jim mentioned. At the end of the duct you get better airflow, the start and middle, not so much. Our homes generally have strong blowers because they have to move enough air for the A/C system, that takes 5 or 6 times the airflow that heat requires. Even running on low, you get a lot of air.
I checked my furnace in the Monte, the supply vents were only half connected. It is good to check that.
Isn't the half connected supply vents what Keystone calls a Polar package?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Ozz, I have a 2002 3670RL. The furnace is under the kitchen sink and the exit duck drops out the bottom of furnace at the toe space of the cabinet. By unscrewing 2 screws the whole furnace comes out into the inside of the trailer and the fan is at the back of the furnace. I don't think I have a convience center as nothing is convient. I did re-tape the duct from the furnace down thru the floor to seal that better but don't feel much change. I think I'll wait till warm up(July) and drop the belly sections to check on that.
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Also check for obstructions. I believe some folks found things blocking the air flow. But more likely are some of the things members have found. Good luck and let us know if you find anything dramatic. Or even if you don't! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote